what's best for Buddy2?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

what's best for Buddy2?

Post by rmb »

We had to say good-bye to our sweet Suzy recently. Age and athritis pain became overwhelming. I believe Buddy2 misses her as much as my husband and I. I have always had two dogs and have been looking for a 2 - 3 year old 25 - 45 lb female to help fill the hole in our home and hearts. BUT, Buddy2 injured his partially torn ACL again (first time March 28) after he had been doing so well with conservative management. Now we are keeping him in, no more steps up & down to the doggie door, potty trips on the leash only. So, I know I have to put the search for another dog off but am wondering if, due to his weak acl, I should ever bring a playmate into the house. Suzy was old and she and Buddy had their gentle way of playing. Before Buddy2 reinjured, vet had suggested maybe a bealgle mix. I guess she figured that would be low key. I fell in love with the face of a darling little aussie girl whose foster mom is treating her for heartworm and she won't be available until October. Would a little aussie girl be too much for Buddy2's ACL? Am I asking for trouble - both for Buddy2's leg and the potential of bringing in more medical issues due to heartworm aftermath damage? I have no experience with heartworm.
Thoughts?
kingalls

Re: what's best for Buddy2?

Post by kingalls »

A beagle or Aussie might be too much IMO. It might be better to find another Chow Chow or another less active dog. It would be in the best interest of both. When my Chowboy went to Rainbow Bridge, we got a GSD mix puppy. My senior Chowgirl didn't know what to do with the boy's energy. My GSD puppy lacked a friend that could play at his level and my Chowgirl would sometimes be overwhelmed with the GSD's energy level.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I guess I'm curious how old Buddy is and why you aren't getting his acl repaired at this point. Just curious, not meaning to sound judgmental. I had a 12/13 year old chow boy that tore his and I didn't get it surgically repaired but he was on strict rest for 6 weeks as in crate/confined rest with leash only potty breaks. It did heal/scar over eventually but he was old and not active or subjected to stairs or other dogs. When Chloe tore hers completely at age 5 we chose surgery. Not knowing how old he is or the status of his leg it's hard to help pick a companion for him.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

Buddy2 is only 3 1/2, adopted from a shelter at 13 months. Our regular vet we saw when he first hurt his leg did the drawer test which was obviously very painful for Buddy, I was not prepared for that but anyway he immediately said full tear, he needs tplo. He took x-rays & came back into the room & showed me that the right thigh bone doesnt even touch the hip socket (it's the right acl that is injured) and his left thigh bone just touches the socket & is probably painful. (I had both arthritic hips replaced last year so I know what painful hips are like) He had shown no issues of dysplasia but we learned last year he also has weak teeth. I knew he was missing 1, turns out he is missing 3. Given his problems, I expect he is the result of very poor backyard breeding, my poor sweet handsome boy. So, even though the surgeon checked the x-rays and said the TPLO was the way to go, second opinion from holistic vet said she would not reommend surgery on that leg, given his hips since by the time we saw her, 2 days later, he was already using the injured leg again. She said no way is this full tear, went on supplements with rest & restrix. Two weeks into the rest period my husband had a heart attack down in TN, I had to leave town immediately with my next door neighbor coming over 2 -3 x a day to feed, water, give loving, etc. I thought I would be gone a couple days, turned into almost 2 weeks and during that time, Buddy and Suzy had full run of the house and yard. I just didn't feel like I could impose any more than I was and while the situation was far from ideal for Buddy's ACL, my husband had to be the priority. Buddy was not favoring the leg at all when we got home. That was back in April and Buddy has been doing great, was back to zooming until last Thursday when he started favoring that leg again & intermittently walked on only 3. Since then, he is favoring it but using it. So we are back to the full musculoskeletal supplement regime and rest. I'll see how it goes and may go for a third opinion (without another drawer test!) but with the thigh bone not even touching, he is not the typical case. As much as I miss my lovey little girl & want another one and feel bad leaving Buddy2 all alone in the house, even for a few hours, it is looking like he may be better off as a single. The situation is very disappointing but I will do my best to do what's best for Buddy2.
I'm glad the surgery was successful for Chloe.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh I see. I am sorry about your hubby and all of Buddy's issues. Chloe also has severe hip dysphasia and allergies so I know a bit about what's it's like to have one with health issues. Not fun! Buddy is so young. Once you get his acl issue resolved I don't see why you couldn't get him a friend. Maybe a low key friend because of the hips? Chloe is 8 next week and she doesn't do zoomies or run much or play rough anymore but my Shug who is also 8 still gets the zoomies and would play wild and rough if Chloe was still able to keep up. She didn't slow down til about age 5.
I don't think you should give up on a new furry face to love!
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

it seems I can't quite give up on another furry face. I had a little spare time at work today and spotted 8 year old Bella on the St Louis seniors4seniors site. She is a King Charles and at 8, may not be too active for Buddy2 but affectionate enough for me. On the downside of course, I may only get to love her 4 - 6 or so years. I said good-bye to Buddy1 in 2013 and now Suzy this year. : ( It doesn't get any easier but I know from experience that bringing in another dog goes a long way and I do like the idea of giving an older dog another chance at a happy home. I hope you get to keep Shug and Chloe (who looks just like Buddy2) for a good many more years. Thanks for your responses. It helps to share with another dog lover.
Buddy2's knee seems to be improving every day and this time I should be able to continue the conservative management for a few weeks.
Rene'
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwww I'm glad things are looking up for you and I do hope you get your new little lady to love. I've always heard that King Charles are real sweetie pies!
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

UPDATE Re: what's best for Buddy2?

Post by rmb »

In December we adopted an 8 year old Border Terrier/Chow mix named Martha from a local shelter. She is a silly looking girl with an underbite and more active than I would have expected for her age. It is apparent that she had been hit in her previous home and was an only dog. There were a couple of doggie arguments in the first couple of months but Buddy2 and Martha are now getting along beautifully. She is a really good dog and will walk with me anywhere, unlike Buddy2 who is still skittish about strange places/noises/people. If you didn't know, you wouldnt guess that Buddy ever had a knee injury. He loves to zoom around the yard enticing Martha to chase. Buddy is also growing his hair back now that he is being treated for his sebaceous adenitis. Fingers crossed!