Chow Chow Breeder Websites

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow Chow Breeder Websites

Post by PCC »

Since losing my boy yesterday, at some point I will probably want to get another Chow. But one thing that's always bugged me is the poor quality of most breeders' websites. Like if I go to chowclub.org and clik on a link to one of the breeders listed, the site is poorly designed, horribly out-of-date, or no longer even exists. I know most breeders aren't professionals by any stretch of the imagination, but geez. I know there's no answer to this "problem." I'm just thinking out loud.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow Chow Breeder Websites

Post by 612guy »

First I'm sorry for your loss, We loss our boxer a month ago and it's hard. I know it helps if you think about getting another but take your time.

It a combination of many reasons they are that way. The breeders that are devoted to improving chows with each breeding don't need a lot of advertising. They have repeat customers or get referrals and breed less often. So they don't need a web site or update them if they have one. Many use FB to spread the news of a new litter so if you're out of the loop you would never know.

I know this doesn't help you out but that's the reason.

Brutus
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I'd though about the Facebook angle. I guess I am "old:" I don't really use FB much, or any social media for that matter. I guess you could also chalk that up to my bit of Asperger's ... socializing is not something I do as a matter of course.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The hardest part is finding the right breeder with the right type of chow you're looking for that is breeding. But on chowclub.org and most web pages their phone number are listed so you could call them. I can help you if you like since I've met a lot of them and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Brutus
Tanny806
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tanny806 »

I am from Memphis Tn and looking for a puppy chow too ( rough hair). It is so hard to find a good breeder for 4-5hours driving time. Any suggestion please?
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

These 2 breeders are less than 5 hours from you. Both have web sites, very good breeders and are highly respected.

FlamingStar Chows
Hodgenville KY

and

VIP Chow Chows ( last I heard she was thinking about moving)
Flippin, Arkansas

Wish you well,

Brutus
Tanny806
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tanny806 »

Thank you for your help 612guy. I had called, but they don't have any now. I think I can drive up to 7-8 hours to get a good chow for not over $1000.00 . I looked really hard on internet as puppyfind, but I can not trust them for their puppies's health later on. :(( I really want a good one.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not sure if this will help or not, but you may want to try contacting ManKou Chows. Camille used to be from my area, but relocated to SC. She hasn't updated her website in a while, and I really don't know if she has any litters herself or plans any, but she has a good line of dogs. She has been getting some great judging assignments lately, and is well respected in the breed, so she knows the 'players'. She may be able to point you in a good direction. Your price point may be an issue, but you never know.

If you do a google search for Man Kou Chows her site will show up with email contact info.