Meat (Chicken/Beef) for Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Meat (Chicken/Beef) for Chow

Post by kevindd992002 »

Is it good to feed our Chows Beef and Chicken meat or would that have a negative effect to their appetite? This topic is discussed widely all over the Internet but has a lot of mixed answers. I just want to get the opinions of people in this forum.

Thanks.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Meat (Chicken/Beef) for Chow

Post by Constantina »

If your chow does not have any alleries or intolerance to them then it's perfectly fine. Mine does well with beef, fresh lamb, rabbit and pork but only the occasional chicken as she develops an intolerance to chicken if taken too often. She scratches like crazy with fish so that is out of the equation. Some Chow owners swear by fish based dog food and i can see their fur and skin are gorgeous.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Thanks. What kind of "fish-based dog food" are these? And if I do this, my Chow will get used to different tastes and what I read about this is that it leads a dog to being very finnicky. Any thoughts on this?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Chance does really well with chicken but gets runny poops with beef. He loves canned mackerel which we feed the dogs a couple times a week. All dogs in my house prefer fresh meat over dry dog food, but it is important to keep a balance with proteins, calcium, and fats in their diets. We give a pretty wide variety of foods (proteins) to them.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

What do you do with raw chicken? How do you cook it? Is giving a variety of fresh meat to dogs not bad at all?
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

BUMP! Any help here?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi Kevin! Popular fish based kibble is Orijen six fish or Acana Pacifica. My Chestnut hates it just by smell alone and when she was forced to eat it it was eye goop all the way. Other people swear by raw feeding but i am so scared of salmonella due to the humid philippine weather. If your walter has no allergies to beef or chicken i see no problem.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

kevindd992002 wrote:What do you do with raw chicken? How do you cook it? Is giving a variety of fresh meat to dogs not bad at all?
We seldom cook the meat for them. I buy whole chickens and chop them up and bits of the kidneys, heart and liver. Be careful about too much liver or it can cause a loose stool. There most favorite food on the planet is GREEN TRIPE! Very stinky, but they think it is puppy candy.
XKALIBER: Green Tripe, Muscle Meat, Heart, Tongue, Trachea/Gullet and Ground Bone
This product is excellent for younger dogs and serious working dogs. It helps build muscle, bone and stamina. It is also excellent for older dogs if fed a couple of times per week.
This product was developed by GreenTripe.Com and is available only through GreenTripe.Com.
They do get cooked chicken for training treats... and I will boil chicken with rice if they have an upset stomach
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Hahahah, don't forget Chipmunk, Squirrel, Wild Turkey, Duck, Canada Goose, Cardinal, Seagull, Mouse, Ant, Spider, Fly, Mosquito, Lamb, Fox (not tasted yet, but trying real hard), Goat (not tasted yet but desperately wishing), all these make up the dietary needs of your Chowling. YMMV Our furkids prefer their meat bloody, still breathing is best, and of course sharing with mom and dad, right?