Dreamland Kennel

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

germyong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dreamland Kennel

Post by germyong »

I am in contact with Dreamland Kennel for a puppy chow. Anyone in here has experience with them to share?
Zhuyos mom

Re: Dreamland Kennel

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I do not. But they are highly respect on this site as they run West Texas Chow Chow Rescue. I believe they are also well respected in the show arena. If you search on this site, you might be able to read more about them, although more of what is written here is about the rescue. I know one of the former regular members on this forum did adopt and is showing one of their chow chows. Good luck!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I don't know anyone from Dreamlands personally, but their results seem to speak for themselves.

I show my dogs. My 4 year old male is currently #25 in the AKC GCH point rankings. Now clearly not everyone shows their dogs or has interest in that venue, but its a pretty good indicator of a quality dog. Dogs that carry the Dreamland kennel name are at #23, 33, 38, 44, & 57. To me that indicates that they have great faith in their dogs and present them for judging pretty frequently.

Michael Brantley is also currently handling the #1 Chow in the US for a client.

Dreamland has produced a lot of CH dogs, which is a good indicator. They are an AKC Breeder of Merit as well.

I just looked at the website, and personally I would say regardless of your intentions for a pup (show, pet, etc) they are one of the top choices. Seems to me they are responsible in testing prior to breeding and the facility appears well upkept and clean.
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

I got my Romeo from Dreamland, I personally visited several breeders because I want to speak to them in person and look at their kennel myself.
I liked Linda's personality and her kennel, I knew her Chows has won championships but I did not know they were the top handler..etc until I joined this forum and talked to other breeders. Romeo is my first dog and I couldn't ask for more, he is smart, handsome and silly :P I encourage you to visit the kennel before you decide, I know that may not be possible at times, just my recommendation. :P
germyong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by germyong »

Thanks everyone for your very helpful input! I just moved to USA from Singapore and this forum has been way more beneficial than I could have imagined. :) I wrote to Dreamland Kennel after it being mentioned on this forum. With assurance from you guys, I'm ready to welcome my pup in hopefully 3-4months time!

These are some questions I asked them via email and here are their input. Hope it helps whoever may be researching on them too. (I don't know them and I've never been to Texas)

How long have you been breeding dogs?
A: We have been breeding AKC registered Chows for over 40 years.

Will the puppies be registered?
A: All of our puppies are AKC registered and we are AKC Breeders Of Merit as well as AKC's 2013 Non-Sporting Breeder of the Year. We provide those papers once the puppies have been spayed/neutered on companion puppies or if you purchase a show puppy, they go with the puppy at the time of purchase.

What are your goals to breed?
A: We are "Show Breeders" so each litter we breed is to improve the quality overall of the chow chow. We plan each breeding carefully with the intent of keeping at least one puppy from each litter to continue with our showing and breeding. Because we keep all the best in each litter, that leaves other puppies as companions. While most people can not tell the difference between show and companion puppies, we want only the best to continue the line with. If you are interested in a show puppy that can be discussed.

Puppy will come with vaccines update?
A: All puppies will have their first set of vaccinations at 7 weeks plus worming at both 3 and 6 weeks of age.

At what age will the puppy be ready to go home?
A: Companion puppies usually leave for their new homes by 7-8 weeks of age. Show puppies usually between 8-12 weeks as they sometimes take a little longer to be sure of the quality.

Will the puppy be seen by the vet before they leave?
A: Yes, our vet sees all the puppies before they leave for their new homes for a check over. Puppies shipped by air must also have a health certificate which is given by the vet.

What kind of guarantee do you offer?
A: Our contract gives you 72 hours to take your new puppy to a vet of your choice to ensure they are healthy and in good condition. Our contract also states that if you are unhappy with your puppy, for any reason, we will replace or refund that puppy.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The answers are pretty much what you want to hear from a reputable breeder. They are standard within the industry, but that's not a bad thing. Mostly everyone plays by the same rules, so if you got something other than that it would be a red flag.

I like that they take extra time to evaluate potential show pups. That is absolutely necessary. Holding the reg papers on companion (pet) dogs is normal practice.

Keep in mind that if you do purchase a show potential dog they may have stipulations on showing and attempting to achieve CH designation. Also with show potential dogs, they may have penalty clauses that come into play if you alter the dog.

As to the return policy, and mind you I have not reviewed any of their contracts, it may also include a stipulation that they have the right to 1st refusal. If for example, it doesn't work in your home, they must be notified and have an opportunity to retrieve the dog. If you transferred it to a friend or put the dog up for adoption or surrendered it to a shelter, they may have an actionable contract violation against you.

Just came to mind, but the contract may also contain stipulations about how the dog is kept. Some breeders will require that the dog is an 'indoor' dog. That is they cannot be confined outdoors as their primary living space. I find this to be a humane clause in those contracts that contain them. Some of the contracts I have seen also stipulate that if you relocate to an area with a significant climate change the breeder must be notified. Think moving from a mediate climate to the North Pole.

Bottom line is you will want to review the contract carefully to ensure that you can adhere to the terms. Before signing and paying are you sure that you can comply with the requirements set forth. In the end, it might be a very simple contract, but the more complex ones tend to favor the breeder as to how they want their pups situated.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Chance is from Dreamland. I could not be happier with his sound temperament and gorgeous looks. (I am biased) :lol: But he is gorgeous. One of the most important things I was looking for in my puppy was a solid temperament. I have dealt with skittish dogs and it is exhausting. My pup is extremely confident and carries himself that way.

I can vouch for the fact that Linda and Michael will be there as your puppy grows. They are always available to answer my questions and give me tips. I am hoping to get a female puppy from them in the near future.

The one and only fault I have with them is that they don't live closer. :lol:
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
germyong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by germyong »

Thanks Cindy! Chance is why I started searching Dreamland Kennel - he's so endearing! :) Like you, I'm looking for a good temperament Chow. Now is the wait for the puppy. So excited!

Rory's dad, thanks so much for your patience in explaining. I'll bear your words in mind when I read the contract in a few month's time. Do you have a link to pic of your Chow?
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

A new puppy from a good breeder is worth the wait! Keep us posted
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, I have posted quite a few pics of my dogs on the forum. I do not use external links for pics. You could search through, but I going to post pics from the shows this past weekend. My 4 year old red rough male is chasing his GCH, and is about 1/2 way there. I stopped showing our 2 year old female...she just wasn't having fun with it. We also have a 9 month old smooth who is just a hoot. He decides whether he is interested or not on a daily basis, but so far is showing well. He currently has 6 AKC points and we hope to finish him before the end of the year but may slow him down a bit.