My Sundance has Grade 2 Mast Cell Cancer

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

my2boys
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Sundance has Grade 2 Mast Cell Cancer

Post by my2boys »

The tumor was removed last Thursday...He has been on pain meds and penicillin since then. I called the doc this morning to see the result of the biopsy. It is grade 2 cancer. He explained that there are only 3 grades with 1 being the best scenario. I will see him this upcoming Tuesday to have Sundance's stitches removed. At that time we will discuss more surgery. He says there are "dirty" margins and the report says it is particularly important to remove a wide margin or large area of tissue around the perimeter of the tumor. My 2 boys will be seven years old Mid November. They are young.
Does anyone have a fur baby that has had this? My appreciation in advance.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My Sundance has Grade 2 Mast Cell Cancer

Post by maikinda »

I'm very sorry to hear about Sundance. I have not dealt with this type of cancer but when one of mine had another type I found this group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CanineCancer/info to be of great help. I'm sure you will find someone there that has dealt with Mast Cell cancer.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
my2boys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by my2boys »

Thank you
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I lost a dog 11 years ago to Mast Cell. I don't remember hearing a stage at the time. The first turmor found in her front leg was removed with clean margins. About 6 months later, another tumor appeared on her hind leg and the vet said this has to come out. I wish I had not listened to him and realized that if it went from front leg to back leg, it was probably throughout. I now regret having put her through the second surgery because he removed a large chunk of that rear leg and it was a tough recovery. The rear tumor had not even seemed to bother her but I took the vet's word, it had to come out. She lived about 4 months past the second surgery with mostly good days. I changed vets. I had found her as a stray at about 6 months old and I know I gave her a really good 12 years. I take comfort in that.
Mast Cell is a scary thing, I feel for you. If only you could know for sure that more surgery would solve the problem!
Wishing you and Sundance the best.
Rene'
my2boys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by my2boys »

It was thoughtful of you to post your reply, Rene'
We went yesterday to have the stitches removed. Our vet wants to see him in two weeks and at that time will probably schedule surgery for the end of August.
I hate to put my boy through this again :(