Shampooing Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Shampooing Chow

Post by kevindd992002 »

Currently, I use Bearing Shampoo (orange for "all breeds" type) and Bearing Conditioning Shampoo (light blue, cool sport type) to bathe Walter. Since they have rough coats, they need a lot of amount of both of these to cover the whole coat in shampoo and it's being too expensive for me. Will I get away with just using one shampoo? I want to use just the orange Bearing Shampoo. Or would it be better to keep using both?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shampooing Chow

Post by Constantina »

dilute the shampoo. You know those transparent mustard ketchup squeeze bottles the diner uses? I put about 1Part shampoo to 5 parts water in two bottles as i can only find the smaller squeeze bottle. I thoroughly wet my girl with water and section her her and directly streak squirt on her skin and massage on till it lathers all over then rinse off. The second bottle is for insurance that all dirt and odor will go away. Make sure to rinse off
Other Chow owners use a dog soap as pre wash to clean out all the gunk then conditioning shampoo to pick up leftover dirtand leave a fragrance. It will save you money and dog will be as clean as the pure shampoo method.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Thanks. Are dog soaps significantly cheaper than shampoos? So I can go away with just dog soap plus the shampoo afterwards?

If the first and second bottle that you use have both the same content, why do you use the second bottle for insurance?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

You can use just the one shampoo. If you bathe him on a regular basis (be careful not to bath too often), you can make a judgment on whether you need a conditioning additive.

When bathing them, make sure they are completely wet. Add the shampoo and work it into the fur making sure you get down to the skin. Then add a bit more water and respread. Although the dog is still completely wet, the shampoo needs a lot of water to get spread out. To get the most out of the shampoo, you almost want a saturated condition, which with Chows will disappear pretty quickly as the coat tends to repel water.

I show all my dogs, so I try to use the best shampoo I can find. We also condition right afterwards and blow dry them. The premium products cost a lot more, and I have seen some slight benefit, but not enough to justify the cost increase.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Rory's Dad wrote:You can use just the one shampoo. If you bathe him on a regular basis (be careful not to bath too often), you can make a judgment on whether you need a conditioning additive.

When bathing them, make sure they are completely wet. Add the shampoo and work it into the fur making sure you get down to the skin. Then add a bit more water and respread. Although the dog is still completely wet, the shampoo needs a lot of water to get spread out. To get the most out of the shampoo, you almost want a saturated condition, which with Chows will disappear pretty quickly as the coat tends to repel water.

I show all my dogs, so I try to use the best shampoo I can find. We also condition right afterwards and blow dry them. The premium products cost a lot more, and I have seen some slight benefit, but not enough to justify the cost increase.
Ok but it's always best to dilute the shampoo to have it spread easier through the thick coat, right? Do you have any experience with soaps?

How about those dry shampoos, are they effective at all when I don't have time to bathe Walter? He usually takes a bath twice a week as recommended by vets here in our country due to the tropical weather. He tends to have a slight smell 3 to 4 days after bathing.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I have no experience with the soaps. As for the dry shampoos, they are mostly a deodorant. You could use them with a good brush out, but aren't going to do anything for the skin or actually clean the fur. You will remove some dirt with the brush out, but are only covering up any odor. A good spritzing spray is about the same thing.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Before I discovered you could soap up first I used to shampoo twice. Reason was she was so dirty and first shampoo barely lathered and came up with gray or brown suds from the dirt. Now that I use soap beforehand I just shampoo once after for the scent and extra cleansing. The soap I use is dirt cheap. It's a local Philippine laundry soap called Perla and it is biodegradable and coconut oil based. It comes out $1 for a bar which has four blocks.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Constantina wrote:Before I discovered you could soap up first I used to shampoo twice. Reason was she was so dirty and first shampoo barely lathered and came up with gray or brown suds from the dirt. Now that I use soap beforehand I just shampoo once after for the scent and extra cleansing. The soap I use is dirt cheap. It's a local Philippine laundry soap called Perla and it is biodegradable and coconut oil based. It comes out $1 for a bar which has four blocks.
What do you know, I'm from the Philippines and am familiar with that brand. I was under the impression to use dog soaps though as there's a soap version of the shampoo I'm using.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi kevin! my chestnut has greasy skin due to seborhea (sp?) sothe doctor suggested Perla and/or sulfur soap before the shampoo. For dog soaps I like Miah or Superdog. Go to cartimar you will go crazy with the selection.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

A great choice when it is an option, this kind is free of harsh chemicals and usually contains herbs to improve the coat and skin.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I found the best and easiest way to shampoo your chow. I take her up to the lake because she loves to wade into the water, get her good and wet, back onto the shore, soap her down and take her back into the lake. You could probably do the same with a kiddie pool in the back yard. She enjoys it and it is so much easier on my back, better than bending over the tub.