Ideal dog poop appearance?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ideal dog poop appearance?

Post by Constantina »

I am sorry for the gross topic but I really want to feed my dog the right grain free food. Well the choices in the Phils. is limited and so far I have been feeding Orijen Adult and alternate with Go! Sensitivity and shine Turkey Recipe. She eats both, has more energy and does not scratch excessively (she has demodex mange) with them unlike others.
Facts: 1. she is 60-63 lbs and 20 inches at shoulder (2 years old) 2. fed twice a day 10 am and 6pm. 3. 2-2 1/2 cups with Go! and 1 7/8 - 2 1/8 cups on Orijen

Thing is... With Orijen which has the highest rating her poos are at least double the volume and moist but are shaped. With Go! Turkey recipe it's smaller, firmer, sometimes hard and easier to pick up.
My worries:
1.Orijen has higher protein content and more meat BUT I'm worried the huge amount of poo despite less food means there is an absorption problem. She goes twice a day.
2.With Go! turkey I love the no residue after pick up BUT- could it be constipating her? She only goes once a day and there is very little poo.

I asked a vet and they were pushing Science Diet and Royal Canin on me instead. Oh, and research has led me to conflicting ideal poops. Some say Go! is too hard and others say Orijen is too much
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ideal dog poop appearance?

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm going for usually for high protein content and that get's me to once a day moist and shaped as you describe the Orjen. The volume looks just right to me.
I'm using a locally made dry food from Cebu mixed with Pedigree. I haven't found the two foods you're using.
I'm interested in using Orijen for Sally. Where do you get it ?
I got some soap and lotion from the vet I can use at home, and so far it stopped the mange from getting worse, redness is reducing and fur is coming back.
But I would like to support her with proper food as well.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi Pinoy51! Orijen it is then. I get Orijen at any Pet express outlet and certain pet stores like Pooch Park. Pet Express is owned by SM. so there is a huge one in Mall of Asia. Make sure Sally is ok with Chicken though as that is the top protein source. thanks so much for easing my worries Pinoy51. I can always count on you. \:D/
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm glad if I can help.
Will check if I have pet express near my place.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Moose is 5 months old and I have been feeding him Orijen puppy. I also noticed that his poop was on the soft side and sometimes harder to pick up cleanly when he goes on grass. But he really seems to LOVE the food and he has been growing well! I'm glad to hear that others have experienced the same thing. But I wonder is it okay for the poops to be on the soft side or should we maybe be mixing the food with a lower protein content food to harden up their poops?
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Hi Mother Moose! So sorry for the late reply. If he loves the food and does well on it. Keep him on it. It is okay to try other food though. You can do rotation. When Moose is done with that bag try a different brand like Canidae Pure line, Acana or Go!
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Thanks Constantina.
Shortly after the post I switched to Now and Go by petcurean. He loves it just as much. His poop firmed right up to a much better consistency and I have not gone back to Orijen.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Taste of the wild here..well formed not to hard not to soft easy to pick up...Also we use probioctics that seems to really keep them well balanced... Also Kodi is over 25 inches at the shoulders and easily 105 to 115 lbs... he is a big boy... :D
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

OMG! Kodi is sooo handsome. A huge boy too. 25 at the shoulder? Wow! What age could you no longer carry him? I gave up on Chestnut at 7 months. I thought my armpits would rip! She is 20 inches and 70 lbs now. About 35-40 then. Will hunt for Taste of the Wild to add to the rotation. Which Variant do you feed? I want the one with Duck for Chezzy
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Constantina wrote:OMG! Kodi is sooo handsome. A huge boy too. 25 at the shoulder? Wow! What age could you no longer carry him? I gave up on Chestnut at 7 months. I thought my armpits would rip! She is 20 inches and 70 lbs now. About 35-40 then. Will hunt for Taste of the Wild to add to the rotation. Which Variant do you feed? I want the one with Duck for Chezzy

We use the salmon one its a blue bag...he seems to like it...

I still have to lift him in the truck when we go somewhere its not easy my wife and i both have to lift him...being he is over 100 lbs and he just sits there...LOL....doesnt even try to help.... :D
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

You need to read this article if you want to know how ideal dog poop appear. I hope you will find it informative.