Rank 1
Rank 1

Chance EARNED his AKC Championship!!!

Post by Cindy J »

I MESSED UP........... :(

We were disqualified...

BUT.....

We made up for it... :wink:
Last edited by Cindy J on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chance earned his AKC Championship

Post by alicehuang830 »

Congratulations!! We need to meet up again when this weather cools down!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

WOW...and congratulations.

He looks fantastic. Been a while since I saw photos of him. Didn't know you brought him out again for shows.

Who was the judge? Overheard a conversation at shows this past weekend about a top Chow in TX from a judge that worked our shows recently. Hope it was Chance...

Again, wtg and nicely done.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thanks. Dallas was our first time back in the ring in 6 months. Saturday I was a basket case; too much nerves to focus well. Sunday I was much more relaxed and we worked well together.

Chance takes absolutely every challenge in stride and never hesitates when I ask him to try something. He is so much fun to work with!

http://www.onofrio.com/execpgm/wbsrbred ... 1545386CHO (show results)

The only chow that I hear people talking about right now is "Pilot" - GCH CH EASTERN-MAGIC FLY ME SAFE. He is stunning!

Of course I believe Chance is as well... \:D/
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

I know Pilot! I've been on Eastern Magic kennel's website, he is stunning! I think I am going to look into getting a female cream chow :P
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We are thinking about a female too, now that Chance is finished. It would be funny if we end up with litter-mates.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Of course. Pilot is owned by Matthew Fan from China. He is the #1 Chow Chow in the country. I agree, beautiful dog.

He would still be the top Chow, but it helps that they have an almost unlimited budget. They enter multiple shows each week and pick the one with the most possible points (again, he wins each time so not a bad thing).
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Congratulations on your new champion! Pretty boy!

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 10796 times
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

:lol: Pilot is Romeo's Sire....i can see the resemblance....lol :P :P
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

alicehuang830 wrote::lol: Pilot is Romeo's Sire....i can see the resemblance....lol :P :P
ME TOO! :D
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Congrats on finishing Chance. Love the picture with the flag as the back ground. It's really no surprise you earned his CH because you did everything right, starting with where you got Chance. But it still is a great accomplishment and you should be proud.
I don't know if Rory's dad and I helped you with staying focus and believing it can be done but both of you guys helped me. So thanks
As far as Pilot, he is a great dog. I believe he just won back to back best in shows. I've seen him twice and he's amazing. Seeing him was a big part for me for showing Brutus. And of course meeting M. Fan and Pilot's handler Michael. He's got along ways to become the best chow ever in the USA but I hope he does.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

612 said it...congrats. And I agree, you did it right all the way through.

We all took some different approaches but got it done. I know you both took some time off to let the dogs mature, and in hindsight that may have worked better with Rory too. I chased Majors for 2 and 1/2 years with him. We had a bunch of single point shows and a ton of times him being the only Chow entered, but we did build some networks. We used a professional handler with him to get the CH and were never told it could take that long (no blame there, Chows are not a widely shown dog here unless you have someone to build the pts with).

And I started down that same road with Toby. 1st 4 times out he earned points. Continuing to show him at any show within 200 miles to get him finished (and showing Rory for GCH because we were already there). I was advised by a very good friend to get pts as a young pup, and then hold off so he would have something to accomplish after the 1 year mark. This same friend noted that Chows can go through an 'awkward' phase. So, as predicted, Toby has gone 5 straight days without points. He needs to bulk a bit and add that bone mass that the judges look for. His ears need to strengthen a bit and hold upright. Gonna book him into 2 more single day shows and see what happens, but then we are going to break for a bit...funny though, because Rory is entering the national ranks (around 30 at the moment) and would love to get that automatic invite for him.

Pilot even took a break for a while this year as he was so far ahead in the national ranks it looked like a lock to finish at #1. But by entering Rory and Toby at every show in our area (and even Amber for a couple days), the #2 Chow was gaining big GCH points. Interesting how it all ties together...
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Both of you were/are very important in our showing. It helps more than many could imagine to have cheerleaders and voices of experience as we stumbled along. =D=

It can all be a bit intimidating... frustrating... But, having other explain their own adventures in the ring is an invaluable tool.

I owe you both a huge THANK YOU! ONE DAY WE WILL ALL HAVE TO MEET UP WITH OUR DOGS... (ooops cap locks) Maybe Nationals? My job is limiting our travels/shows this year. But we hope to be showing quite a bit next year. We hope to get a female in the near future that we will be showing as well.

As far as Pilot goes; We have had the pleasure of seeing him at a couple shows. I am hoping he is the dog that Michael is bringing to Houston this week. Sadly entries for Houston are dismal. Sunday will only be Chance and one class bitch. :(
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

WELL DANG....................

Chance was disqualified from the Dallas show. I did not realize I had him entered as a NOVICE!

So...............

We have to search for another major and try it again.

Pretty much knocked the wind out of me. Finding a major was so much work....

We are going to take some time off. Right now I don't have the heart to do this.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chance DIDN'T earn his AKC Championship

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry to hear that Cindy.

I went through similar items, not once but twice. On the 1st try, I was still using a pro handler. The major was broken due to an absent dog. Since we only needed the majors she pulled him. Turns out a class dog took BOB and that put the major back in play.

2nd time out, we took best of winners and thought we were finally done. Except everyone cheering Rory on miscounted the pts. They had changed a few months before and it was a 2 pt win, not 3. Fortunately another dog was entered the next day and Rory repeated BOW and we got it.

Don't be discouraged. Things happen, unfortunately.

It took two and a half years for us to get Rory his CH. We spent a ton of time being the only Chow entered into shows. It took a lot of networking to finally get it done.

I would strongly recommend that you not "chase" those majors. Build them instead. Email, FB, chat with everyone you know that shows their chows. Find shows near you and try to get commitments for entries at those events. Don't rule out crossover point opportunities. Also, review who the judges are. Even if you earned single points under them, they are worth showing to again if you can build the major.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thank you for all the advice! The breeder has offered to step in and help with handling (because they know how disappointed I am)

BUT, I really want to be able to say that we did this together.... all the way through; Chance and I!

We are taking a few months off to regroup and to let Chance's coat fill back out. (just blew his coat) I think we are going to hit a bunch of OH shows and see if we can get an invite to Uekanuba for owner hander again next year.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

The hardest part had to be finding out and admitting what happened. I've made my share of mistakes in life and wonder how I did them but you can't dwell on them. Concentrate on all the things you have done well with Chance and I bet in the future it will make you stronger.

I also think you should finish what you started but if you had your breeder finish him so you can start on GCH points I wouldn't blame you.

It's funny that chows coats are the worst this time of year. You would think spring would be but that's not the case. I went to a 2 day show last year at this time and everyone's chow coats were thin but I won the first day for a major but got reserve the next.
Don't rule out shows if you can build an major especially if they are close.

I met Jonathan that was entered with his chow at your last show at Nationals the last 2 years. I thought he was a very nice guy and will enjoy talking to him again at the next one we go to.

Stay positive,

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We are going to do it ourselves, even if it takes longer. The journey (good, bad, and ugly) together is creating a wonderful bonding.

You are right Jonathan is a wonderful guy who has been very helpful at the shows we have been at together. He goes out of his way to help others and offer advice.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Cindy, I think you are right for wanting to do it yourself. We had a handler for Rory throughout his CH campaign, and let her finish is out of loyalty. But by that time I had enough confidence in Rory and myself to do it. I have handled Rory 100% on his GCH and it is way more gratifying. I am splitting time on the other end of Toby's lead with my daughter (although that ended last weekend as we ship her off to college). Again, doing it ourselves feels better.

That doesn't mean you can't enlist some of your network to enter their dogs to build the points in shows close to you.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chance EARNED his AKC Championship!!!

Post by Cindy J »

WE DID IT! BOB in Canton on Saturday for his second major. I moved him up on Sunday and he went BOS.

I will post a picture as soon as they are available. I am so excited (again) !!!

We are only showing at a couple more shows this year... but hitting the circuit fairly hard next year. Hoping to get enough points for an invite to Eukanuba 2016.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Great news, I'm so happy for you.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congrats Cindy. Chance certainly deserved to get his CH. Very nice that you were able to do it yourself.
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Congratulations!