Puppy theft in South Africa.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Puppy theft in South Africa.

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I saw this on another site does it only happen here or do you have problems in your countries as well.

Robbers in Cape Town Target Pedigree Pups a€“ By Helen Bamford
6/15/2005

Saturday Star – Saturday 16 April 2005:

Robbers are stealing pedigreed puppies in Cape Town and in one case even mugged an owner in a park and snatched her pup.

Valuable puppies can be worth more to muggers than the usual loot of cell phones, jewellery and cash. A woman walking her Jack Russell puppy in a city park had it snatched by two men who took off running and disappeared before she could react.

Now a Cape Town veterinarian has warned of a spate of thefts of expensive pedigreed puppies in recent weeks.

Cathy Wahl said the Jack Russell had been brazenly stolen from De Waal Park, which is usually packed with dog walkers. And she said that in recent weeks an 11- week-old bulldog, a three-month-old rottweiler and a young husky had been stolen in the city.

A number of owners have offered hefty rewards for the return of their pets but there is concern that this will encourage thieves and fuel the market in stolen dogs.

Alan Perrins, acting chief executive of the SPCA in Grassy Park, said he’d seen rewards of R10 000 being offered for the return of pets.

"I wouldn’t encourage people to put up rewards but I realise that it is a big loss emotionally."

Wahl said larger breeds were often stolen for illegal dog fighting. She said some of the smaller breeds were probably stolen to be used for breeding, possibly by dog-theft syndicates.

Last year, an increase in dog thefts was reported in various parts of the Western Cape and, in some cases, thieves demanded ransoms for the animals’ safe return.

Perrins said puppies were very vulnerable and should not be left unattended.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Um, over where I am in the Bahamas puppies and some young dogs are stolen but not so common as you make it seem.

The last story i heard of a man stealing a pup was like couple months ago, That was the last time I heard but not the last time a pooch was stolen. They are commonly stolen because people are to cheap to go buy themselves a dog. A man went into a yard of a Pit Bull breeder to steal some pups, well let me put it like this he didn't got what he wanted. The pit bulls were out of their cages and well he was found dead.

I am so glad that Krillan is so intolerant of starngers. When Shadow is with him he is like velcrow so when some one tries to come, he acts aggressively and chows over here are compared to like pit bulls so no one will fool with them.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

In Ca. I have heard of dogs being stolen from cars and yards then being used for Dog fighting bait or sold to labs. In Northern Ca. a few vets put out warnings that dogs were being stolen from cars at a Home Depot parking lot in one of the towns mostly smaller dogs and puppies. People will steal anything if left unattended wish they would steal my trash so I wouldn't have to pay the city.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sure it happens. Earlier this month a prized (show dog even) Bichon Frise was stolen at San Francisco Intl. Airport. Someone just lifted his kennel and walked off.

I second Jeff! I too wish someone would take my trash! :wink: