my chow bit me

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lifewiththeodore
Rank 0
Rank 0

my chow bit me

Post by lifewiththeodore »

so today my chow chow theodore was being taunted by a three year old boy and his siblings, this kids loves to scream and kick and pull his fur out. my dog has never bitten anything, he is very protective of me and barks if he thinks someone is trying to harm me. i work with dogs and have trained him, he knows commands and is in general a good dog. well after having enough with the kid, he tried to bite him several times, i kept pulling the kid away and telling him to go home with his family, cause i was upset that he mad theo mad. unfortunately the kid ran at him, i grabbed him and he started screaming and kicking in my arms, which set my dog off. he ended up launching at the boy in my arms, and to shield the kid, i ended up getting bit, of course my dog backed off as he saw who he hurt, and the kids ran home and acted like nothing happened, but now im facing some uncertainty, my chow is 8 months old from a great breeder has been socialized, has never touched anyone with his teeth, even when someone gives him food. Hes in a breeding programs, and i feel like pulling him out seeing his reaction to a child who just didnt know how to treat an animal. but also i have people telling em to put him down, but i feel as if that's beyond ridiculous, im super upset with my pup but i also dont know how to go about it, if anyone has advice that would be awesome!!
kingalls

Re: my chow bit me

Post by kingalls »

I am not a Chow breeder, trainer, etc. but I have had 2 Chow Chows in the past 12 years. My Chow Angel, Nahkohe, was not good with people and was suspect in his interest in small dogs :roll: . Our Chow, Shiloh, is sweet as can be and we would not question her being around new people. When my Chowboy went to Rainbow Bridge, we adopted a GSD. We took our GSD to dog obedience class and one of the trainers told us about one of his GSD's that was born hating other dogs - no matter how much training, his GSD did not like dogs. The point I am trying to make is that our Chows/dogs may be born with a particular disposition - this is my opinion.
I think your Chow bit you accidently and was reacting to a poorly disciplined child. At the same time, you need to be pro-active in assessing the situation and protect your Chow from being compromised. It's absurd to think your Chow should be put down because of a child that was not properly trained on how to approach a dog (i.e. ask if it was okay to pet). It sounds like you have done your job to socialize, etc. I think your Chow felt threatened and/or thought you needed protection and reacted as such.
Ignorant kids/adults don't know they should approach a dog - any dog - by asking the handler or owner if it is okay to pet the dog. Owners need to be aware and make sure their Chow/dog are not overwhelmed by clueless people. My angel Chowboy needed to be monitored and we knew that. We took all measures to not put him into a situation that would end up in a bite problem. When out on walks, we crossed the street if people/dogs were coming our way. At the vet or groomers, I did the handling. With our other Chow - no issues...people can come and go and she has no issues with it...the vet, groomer, etc. no problem. Both Chows came to us as puppies and they turned out differently.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm living in the Philippines, where proper understanding of dogs and dog psychology is rare.
So I'm very strict with not letting any small kid go close to Simba, he would react exactly the same and also might even bite me by accident.
Actually he wouldn't even have any screaming kid come close to him the way you describe your dog did initally.
Only Sally among my Chows has a very outgoing personality and the kid would have got away with that nonsense.
People need to understand that Chows are protective and don't apreciate being dog handled by strangers, they also don't appreciate noise too much.
Everyone who is calm and is not afraid of dogs can come close and eventually pet them
But a screaming bunch of kids, no way.
So be more strict with keeping kids away from your Chow, and for gods sake don't even think about putting him down.
Oh and actually you shouldn't be upset with your pup, but how you handled the situation.
Your pup behaved normal, but you letting them pulling his fur and then you picking up the kid was not the best way to de-escalate the situation.
Next time walk away when it is time.
Best regards
Pinoy51
lifewiththeodore
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lifewiththeodore »

thank you for the kind replies, i felt like my chow did what he thought was right in the situation. he has always protected me against other dogs at my work or even if we have guests over and one of my husbands friends tries to hit me randomly (jokingly to taunt theo) i know there are stupid people everywhere, and children u just cant ignore. thankfully talked to the breeder and he said he should be fine, but to keep monitoring his behavior! even tho i perfer to groom since groomers ive been to charge so much and dont wash out all the shampoo or dont brush out fur well. i still take him to get used to strangers touching him without me there. he does fine with my nieces and nephews. i spoke to his parents of course to make sure their kids understand that their behavior can have a negative affect on my dog and his future, but all i got was, you shouldnt have a chow chow they are dangerous crap from them.... but honestly i feel much better today than yesterday. even my husband was okay with what happened, he knows the breed, and knows how protective my dog is of me. when he was about 6 months we started teaching him who he protects, cause as a pup he wouldnt come out of his room when strangers were around! helped him break his outter shell! i still see him as a perfect dog, even tho i have a pretty big scar
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

That kid was a brat! Your poor Theo! Where were that kids' irresponsible parents? The nerve to tell you not to have a Chow. Well, they should not have kids if they cannot raise them properly. Theo had no fault whatsoever. In a way i am glad he nipped you instead because can you imagine the lawsuit? Regardless of it being the kids fault they would demand the dog be put down and the Law would take their side because "it is just a dog". I cannot stand that reasoning. You will have to toughen up as Theo's guardian and tell the kids firmly to step back. use strong words like 'Get Out or get away from us!" Without yelling as it will agitate Theo just a firm strong voice. Walking away is option number one but since the kid chases you use the strong voice. Beat them to it
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm glad you're able to understand the situation and congrats to your Hubby.
I tell you a funny story about Simba so you can see how to de-escalate potential issues.
Every Sunday a masseuse comes to our house and in the beginning Simba was on "red alert" when he saw her touching my wife. I had to watch him closely and luckily the masseuse wasn't scared of him, even if he demonstrated his darkest growling and barking. As I wanted him to learn not be over protective and the masseuse wasn't afraid, I copied the massage treatment on him to distract him. Today about one year after the he wittnessed the first massage, he is still watching the masseuse initially. But no growling he then he comes to me to get his own massage and is resting after, not minding the masseuse at all. Problem solved and no risk of "dangerous" Chow eventually biting our masseuse.
So if your environment does not respect your Chow and his character you have to separate him during visits of ignorant friends and family members, specially small children. Of course keep on working with him as much as possible and don't foster his protectiveness. But a Chow is a loyal pack member and we will do whatever it takes to protect you and his other pack members and he will make his own decisions specially if he sees you in a stage of fear or negative excitement (anger , frustration).
Best regards
Pinoy51
KringlesDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KringlesDad »

I can tell you a story about our Kringle Bear. Our youngest son was over at a friends house playing. Him and Kringle are practically inseparable. I was out walking Kringle one day and I didn't have his harness on all the way. Kringle got out of the harness and made a bee line for the other person's house because he tracked my son's scent there. The friend had a German Shepard. When I got there Kringle and the German Shepard were tangling and it was ugly. We let the dogs sort it out and when there was a break in the action myself and the other's dog's dad were able to grab them both. What had happened was Kringle showed up just in time to see the Shepard playing with my son. He thought the Shepard was attacking him and did his job. When I went to grab Kringle during the break in the fight I got bit. I think it was a heat of the moment thing. Anyway, don't feel bad, that other kid provoked your dog and you should not feel badly. He was agitated and was trying to protect you from that child that should be on a leash.