need a defenite answer :(

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

miguel04
Rank 0
Rank 0

need a defenite answer :(

Post by miguel04 »

hello! just wondering if she has a rough or smooth coat? really confusing. newbie here.. thanks in advance

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: need a defenite answer :(

Post by Constantina »

Hi! If you bought him in the Phils. Most likely would be a rough coat. Meaning the one that grows a long mane and lots of hair. A smooth coat would have no market in the Philippines as they are considerd short hair. We like our Chows shaggy in the Phils. I have yet to seea smooth anywhere in the Philippines.
Cafe_Latte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cafe_Latte »

At that age it too early to tell unless you know the parents.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Knowing the parents makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Two rough coated reds could produce a smooth blue. As long as their is some indication of a trait somewhere in the lineage, its all possible. Since chows are one of the oldest known breeds, it impossible to predict. You can try to maximize each result with selective pairings, but its still like betting on a horse race.

I also don't think that the market the pup is offered in makes any difference to the pup. He doesn't know where he is being sold.

That being said, Smooth Chows are a lot less frequent than roughs. And they are becoming more accepted the world over. They do require a lot less work grooming, and actually have a more laid back personality. I really resisted getting my smooth, but absolutely love him now.

Anyway, what is the age of the pup in the photo, and what does the breeder say? Looks very young, and I think still too early to tell for sure.
miguel04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by miguel04 »

thanks guys! update 2 weeks old. sire and dam both rough coat. just wondering why she has lesser hair than the two? i still need help :(

JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I guess shes too young. Wait for a couple of days.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Oh that is just so darn awesome!!!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well an answer might be good, we have had both. FengHuang was a smooth and ShenLung a rough but it took him 8 years to grow his mane. ;) FuShiLu is also rough. We have no preference each is wonderful in a unique way.