Help would be appreciated...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tmadd5638
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help would be appreciated...

Post by tmadd5638 »

I have a dilemma/situation. I had a lady contact me today that had bought a puppy from me several months ago. She started out stating that she remembered I always guaranteed a forever home to any of my Chows, so I thought she moved and needed to place the girl. Well come to find out she had bought a farm when the girl was 6-7 months old. This ladies way of introducing her Chow to the farm animals was to chain the dog out with them.... :-( I really wished she had called me a few months ago when this started. Anyways the girl due to being chained up has started acting out, by getting off the chain and getting herself into trouble killing chickens, and now recently goats. I gave advise as to how I would have introduced her and how to try to correct the behavior, afterwards she told me flat out that she had given up on the dog and that she just called me to see if I knew anyone that would buy the dog, because it has killed her expensive livestock. I am at a loss, I am always willing to take back any of my Chows at anytime and have even driven several states away to do so. But I can not afford to pay this lady for a dog that she has taught to attack livestock and that I will have to thoroughly retrain.... I am not sure she would even consider a rescue, and told me she has thought of "just shooting the dog" I am appalled and can't believe that she would rather shoot her than to give her back to me so I can try to undo what she has done. Any advise would be appreciated.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help would be appreciated...

Post by maikinda »

Maybe if you offered her a small amount she would take it. Even $50.00 would be better than nothing. If she just destroys the dog she ends up with zero. Hope you can get the dog back.

Laura
tmadd5638
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tmadd5638 »

Thanks,
I did try that, I told her $100 but she said that wouldn't come close to the cost of livestock she had attacked. Then when I tried to call her back later she would not answer and never called me back. Going to give her a couple days to cool off and maybe try again, I just keep thinking of the possibilities and definitely not getting any sleep over it. Not sure what else I can do.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I never ceased to be amazed by the inhumanity of some people! I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully this woman will come to her senses.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

This is full of issues, but it seems to me you are more concerned with the dog's welfare than the other issues.

So, 1st off, what does your contract entail? The standard puppy contracts fall into 2 categories, Pet Quality and Show Potential, with each usually stating the responsibilities of each party. Seems to me that leaving a dog chained outdoors 24 hrs a day and allowed to attack livestock would violate any quality of life clause within those contracts. So, I would 1st review the contract to see if she violated the terms and provides you with rights to retrieve the pup.

Since I am not sure where you are located, I would next check on local ordinances. Farm properties will generally have regulations defining how animals are kept, and that would include dogs. Dogs that are not considered herding types may be restricted to access to the farm animals. This tact would be towards making it more trouble to her than is worth is. Also along this line, it may be illegal for her to simply shoot the dog. Depending on local laws, it might be worth a call to the officials warning them of her threat to the dog.

If the behavior is directed strictly towards chicken and goats, rehoming may not be that big an issue. I would certainly guess that the dog has not been properly socialized to humans and other dogs, but she might be ok.

Finally, what is her thinking on your 'forever home' guarantee, and what is yours. Bottom line is that it sounds like she messed up this dog. If part of your placement interview was misrepresented, then you should be asserting that.
tmadd5638
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tmadd5638 »

Oh I know what you mean. I didn't even know where to start when she called me. I was appalled by everything she said.

I do not breed for show. I only have open faced Chows and breed as family pets, working dogs. This puppy was sold to her as a family pet and with her living situation I never even thought twice. They are a nice family and honestly never brought up chaining or introduction to livestock, as for one I sometimes think people have common sense, and two she lived in town, with a fenced yard and a doggie park down the block for socialization and she was going to be doing puppy classes, which she did do.

As far as state or county regulations, we have very strict laws for kennels, ranches, etc. But your next door neighbor could have 20 chained up fighting cocks surrounded by 20 chained up pits and they would never say a word. I have tried to be nice and offer advise, I figure if I tell what is really on my mind she will just quit answering my phone calls, which was very hard for me! But I offered advise as to what she had inadvertently trained the dog, whether she thought she did or not.

The puppy is only showing issues with livestock and is very people and other dog friendly, as she did complete puppy classes where she did very well.

We chatted quite a bit yesterday and she has found a friend in town in a similar household as the puppy was used and we are agreement that this may be a great place for the puppy. They are already well known to the puppy and have spent a lot of time with her. They will be trying that in the next few weeks and I will keep in touch with the new family and we will go from there.

Hoping everything goes well and will be in close contact with the family, Thanks everyone for the advise!