General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mknight88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow Mix (Chowski/Chowsky)

Post by mknight88 »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Chowski or Chowsky? It is a Chow-Chow crossed with a Siberian Husky. I volunteer at a local shelter and a 6 month old Chowsky puppy was dropped off at our humane society. After working with him I loved his temperament and disposition. Also, I enjoyed his look, since he wasn't as fury as a purebred Chow-Chow. Within a week he was adopted and I wasn't able to submit an application I didn't realize he would go so fast. Does anyone know a breeder who breeds Chowsky's or would be willing to?

Thanks,
Matt
kmmira
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow Mix (Chowski/Chowsky)

Post by kmmira »

Maybe look into a smooth chow if the hair is the main concern?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Doing a quick Google search, it appears this isn't an uncommon mix. Given that, I have to doubt that any responsible breeder is going to produce this mix on purpose or utilize quality breed stock to do so.

Seems that this has taken on the misnomer of a 'designer breed'. Any responsible breeder of Chow Chows or Siberian Husky's would avoid cross-mating. So, you are left with breeders who know that they have inferior quality dogs and are looking to cash in on a fad.

Any idea why he was dropped off at the shelter? As a volunteer, I am sure you are aware of the problems caused by puppy farm breeding and accidental litters. In my opinion, you are asking for a result of one of these situations. As much as you were enamored by the dog, its probably a better argument for neutering and spaying rather than requesting a litter of five or more dogs with only 1 possible adopter. That could leave another 4 or more dogs back into shelter situations.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

I would check petfinder.com (or other rescue websites) as I have certainly seen these as well. Also, I would certainly not support a breeder who breeds this mix (simply because they are likely a puppymill/backyard breeder). However--why don't you think about what qualities you liked about this puppy and then look for dogs (or puppies) that have similar qualities. I am not sure where you are located, but I see plenty of full bred chows and chow mix puppies on petfinder.com.