Rough playing

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Craig
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rough playing

Post by Craig »

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and joined because I need some advice! I got my chow chow puppy Leo at 8 weeks old. He is 5 months old. My sister has a 5 year old pekingese which is not the most social dog. She brings her dog to play with mine on a weekly basis which often causes conflict because my dog plays so rough and tugs on the pekingeses hair. The pekingese is becoming extremely stressed out but I dont know how to tell my dog he cant play. Please help I love my Chow more than anything!
kingalls

Re: Rough playing

Post by kingalls »

They don't appear to be appropriate play mates. If the pek is stressed, I don't think the attempt to get them to play is worth it. Your Chow Chow needs another bigger playmate and the Pek find a smaller dog to interface with. Five years old isn't too old, I think but maybe the Pek just doesn't want to play. My Chow girl is 11.5 years old and does not want to play with our GSD which is 7 months old. The GSD brings her toys and other things to entice her but she doesn't want to play - puts up with his antics for a while and then puts the GSD in his place.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

From my experience chows play rough. I know at that age my two rough housed a lot. Shuggy is a few months older than Chloe and I used to worry he was going to hurt her because he was bigger that first year. He never did though and she loved it and gave it right back. Even now at 7.5 years when they play, it's rough just not as frequently. Your guy is just too big and rough for the little one right now.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Looks like a mismatch playmates! Chows want it rough, I can only imagine the Pek being stressed! Hopefully, your chow can find a match playmate!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Don't worry. We had a rescue Pom for a few and after the first week she and ShenLung totally went for it. At times we swore the little thing was dead. Nope, just kept coming back for more. We ended up calling her Zombie. ;). She lives next door with another Pom and still hangs out with ShenLung now and again.