Panting

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Panting

Post by ski »

Loki is 11 years old. About six months ago he started excessive panting. I took him to the vet and they diagnosed a urinary infection. When I took him back for a recheck, his urine was clear but he was still panting. Our vet did blood tests and X-rays and said he had severe arthritis but before putting him on pain meds she wanted to rule out anything else. We went for ultrasound. Ultrasound found some issues related to aging but nothing significant. He has been on pain meds for a few months now, but the panting still continues. He still has a rapid heart beat which I was told could be due to his age. Along with all of this, he is glued to me throughout the day and night. Last night he kept us up most of the night as he was restless and panting. We gave him pain meds and we all finally got some sleep.
I hate seeing him like this. His appetite is fine...no weight loss. We did another urine test and it was fine. He enjoys his walks and is very energetic during his walks. The other night he even jumped up on the sofa to lay on my husbands lap. I don't know what to make of this. I trust my vet. She knows Loki quite well as she is the only vet he has seen since he was found on the street ten years ago. Anyone have any ideas?
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Panting

Post by maikinda »

Could you keep a log on Loki for a few weeks? Write down when the panting happens ( time of day and activity ). Note when you give him the pain medications and how long before the panting stop (or if it doesn't) Maybe something would show up that would help. I know my old guys have more trouble when there is a weather change. Panting could even be from a upset stomach.

Hope you find and answer

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Panting

Post by ski »

Thanks! That is a good idea. The other day he was panting so bad I rushed him to vet. We were concerned it was bloat but fortunately it wasn't. Vet gave him Pepcid and additional pain meds and he was better but still panting from time to time. I will start keeping a record