General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sliding on Hardwood Floors

Post by Kahlua »

Hey guys,

new chow chow owner here. I have a 6 month old cream chow puppy that's having a hard time walking on my hardwood floors. I've had these floors for about 12 years, they aren't new and they aren't waxed. My previous pup (lab) was able to walk on these just fine, but my chow puppy is having an extremely difficult time. Sometimes, when he gets up he slides around. He walks on the hardwood floors in short stubby movements, and slides around like a puppy on ice. I tried trimming the fur from his paws (which didn't help), and upon closer inspection, I realized the tips of his paws are very smoothed out and not rough like the rest of his paws. At times, he seems to have a hard time getting up and he's always laying down.... but I took him to the vet and she did several examinations on him, and told me he is completely fine). I don't know if there's something wrong with his paws or if it's a leg thing.... Curious if anyone else has had this issue with their puppies? I bought paw wax because I read somewhere online that it's suppose to help....

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sliding on Hardwood Floors

Post by Cindy J »

We had this problem with smooth tile. We considered paw pads from the vet for traction, but ended up buying a large no slide rug to put in the room he spent most of his time. He out grew the need for the rug. Good luck!

I envy you and your wood floors. I love them, but cannot convince my husband that they are a good investment with dogs
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

I think Cindy has the answer for you. Get some no slide rugs and give your puppy an area he can get some traction. I too think that in time your puppy will mature and learn to manage the hardwood quite well. I've had problems too on laminate floors with puppy's and also very old dogs. Not suggesting you change your floors but I just installed a new type of hard floor called LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) it's a vinyl tile that looks just like hardwood. It has really good traction for dogs and has a residential lifetime warranty. It's solved several issues at my house and Misha loves it.
Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kahlua »

Definitely will do. Thank you guys for the advice!!!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Just give the little fluff ball time, we have two fur kids and all hardwood and tile. They tear around, wrestle without issue. FuShiLu is now 18 months and ShenLung is 7 years. ;)
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

oops double post