How to change feeding schedule

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to change feeding schedule

Post by Rex343 »

We have a 5 year old black chow, who is on a routine with my stay at home wife. He gets feed at 8:30 am and 5:30 pm then goes out about 45 minutes later. The wife is leaving to take care of my mother, I work an early shift and leave the house at 5 am. I can't change my shift and I don't want to starve him. I can't afford those fancy timed feeders and there would be no one to let him out after words. I also don't let strangers in my house when no one is home. Thanks
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to change feeding schedule

Post by Cindy J »

I would be concerned if he was a puppy, but at 5 years of age you should not have any problems switching his schedule to fit yours. My dogs are fed at 4am to fit around my schedule. They are then fed again around 5pm.

On the weekends I often try to get an extra couple hours of sleep (it seldom happens) but, Thy often get fed later in the morning and later in the evening. They adapt pretty well. If we are traveling on the weekends, their feeding schedule goes right out the window. They will get a very light breakfast and eat dinner when we stop for the night. They seem to be thriving just fine.

The only thing I might suggest is IF you have any time before your wife leaves, you might want to to gradually adjust the feeding schedule. If you don't have enough days before she leaves then do not stress too much. He will adjust.

*Side note* When my dogs are home by themselves they often will not eat the food I put down before I leave. The food is still there when I get home. I am not sure why they do it. They gulp it down quickly as soon as I get home. Most times that they are left home I make certain that they eat and are walked before I head out the door. But, there are those times when time does not allow it. They adjust... It is me who suffers, from the guilt.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye