New puppy... first-time having a chow! Help!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

grey8
Rank 0
Rank 0

New puppy... first-time having a chow! Help!

Post by grey8 »

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were given a 5 week old female Chow (she is now 7 weeks). Her name is Oprah.
She is an ADORABLE puppy. In the last week we have really seen her grow physically, mentally and emotionally.
She has gotten to know us, she is learning her bite inhibition and she knows what not to bite (but that doesn't keep her from doing it!)... Haha! Here she is...

When we got her:

A couple of days ago:

She is fairly obedient and well behaved. So far we've only had two main problems with her. (I dont know the technical lingo, so Ill just try to go ahead and explain myself)...

1. She sleeps all day. She's awaken all night: crying, wanting attention, peeing, pooping. She doesn't have any trouble sleeping from around 11pm to 4am... but at that time, she is ALWAYS up yearning for attention. We've had her sleep in our room these last two weeks, but I am starting to think if this is the right way to go. Last night she slept in the livingroom (with no problem up until 4am... she went to cry to our room... she had already pooped and peed all the house)

2. She poops all night. I know younger puppies poop/pee all the time, but I don't know if we should re-schedule her eating times. We take her outside a couple of times a day (we live in an apartment), she really seems to enjoy it, she runs and she poops/pees... but during the nights she seems to do it so much more than when she is outside! Every night when she wakes me up (around 4am) I have to clean around 4 pees and 2 poops.

What can we do?

Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks!
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New puppy... first-time having a chow! Help!

Post by anthonyfearn »

what do you expect she has been taken from her mother at 5 weeks old which is totally unacceptable, she is a baby and thats what babys do poop and pee as you put it around the house
grey8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grey8 »

Looking for advice, not reprimands. Thanks.
She was given to us by the breeder.

Any advice is welcomed.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anthonyfearn »

who's the breeder
grey8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by grey8 »

I don't know him personally. He's a friend of my father in law.
But why would that matter?
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

She's gorgeous!! I presume she has been to the vet and tested for parasites. What food are you giving her?
I would check with her vet and see if a change in her diet might help
Good luck!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ahhhh....I just posted a detailed response, but now it is nowhere to be found....try again I will.

1st off, any pup being released at 5 weeks is a serious issue. Not a knock on you, its irresponsible on the breeder. There is an issue with nutrition. At that age, most pups are not weaned and are not ready for mass market puppy food. Those foods are lacking the vitamins and antibiotic qualities of mother's milk. Then there is socialization. Puppies learn acceptable behavior under the mentorship of mom and by playing with their littermates. Without that they don't learn limits or how to properly 'play'.

So, dealing with biting/nipping issues. For object chewing (furniture, shoes, etc), give a firm NO, and replace the object with a suitable chew toy. For people nipping, a high pitched shriek, followed by a firm no is recommended. This is similar to the behavior she would learn as part of the litter. After stopping the bad behavior, reward with praise or a food based treat to acknowledge the desirable actions. Take the opportunity to handle the pup. Getting a chow used to being touched is a big part of her socialization. Use her distraction to get her used to being touched and avoiding any 'head shy' attitudes. Chows do require some work so they are accepting new people. This is really big if your family dynamic changes or you expect to entertain in your house.

Potty training....you cant allow the chow pup full run of the house. Consistency is very important. Feed on your schedule. If you leave for work at 7, feed at 6 and allow 15-30 minutes for digestion and then take her for her walk. At her age, 4x per day on small portions is not unreasonable. Follow a similar schedule splitting the day into segments. Last feed for the night should be 12 hours later, follow the same schedule for walks, then allow an additional walk just before bed time. That should work for the #2 issue. As for peeing, she just can't hold it all night. Her bladder isn't developed to the point where it will work. You have a few choices. Let her out every two hours, use puppy pads, or crate train. 1st one is obvious. Puppy pads will still require some exclusion. Place near the exit door (be consistent and use the same door every time). When she uses the pad, take her for a walk anyway. She will learn that the outside area is the correct spot and as she matures, will wait to be outside. With crate training (and not everyone wants to confine the dog), you are defining her space. Chows are extremely clean dogs and will not want to dirty what they consider their home or sleeping area. As she ages, you expand her definition of what is hers. This still requires regular outdoor trips, but should limit the overnight accidents.

Finally, not part of your question, but seriously consider some puppy classes. It will teach you how to show your pup basic behavior commands, and will allow the dog to interact with other puppies.
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Wow... You have your hands full. Getting a puppy that early is definitely a challenge. You need to realize as Rory's Dad stated that Oprah just isn't developed enough to go more than a couple hours without having to pee. It's a time consuming process raising any puppy but such a young puppy even more so. Most puppies are 8 weeks old or more before they leave mom and their litter mates. You will get through this but you are going to have to get up to get her out or use the crate and/or puppy pads as mentioned. If you limit her space she will be less likely to have accidents but she is too young to be expected to hold it. She will get there, just have patience and let her mature. Rory's Dad has great advice. He knows Chows better than most.Take his advice and socialize Oprah every chance you get. Let everyone that comes over hold her and give her lots of love. You are her life. You are her whole world and she is dependant on you to give her everything she needs. I involve my Chows in everything I can. I take my Chows with me on every errand that I can. When they are very young like Oprah it's a great time to get them used to people and being held. You'll be rewarded with a life long friend that will give you more than you can imagine in return.
Hang in there.... you will only see things get better.