Chow Chow in danger of being put down

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ssward
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ssward »

Hi - My son-in-law owns a chow chow dog named Princess. She is approximately 6 years old. My daughter and son-in-law have a 6-year-old and 3 month-old twins. Princess has been known to be aggressive, and my daughter does not trust the children around Princess. My daughter is demanding that her husband get rid of the dog - however because the dog HAS been aggressive, nobody seems to want her. She is very sweet to people she knows, but if you do something she doesn't like, she is lible to snap. My son-in-law does not want to get rid of her, but he does not have the time to take care of her, groom and walk her. He has mentioned having her put down. I hate to see this happen, but neither do I want one of my grandchildren bitten (although my 6-year-old granddaughter used to play with her when they were about 2, and she was never bitten). Does anyone have any advice for us? :(
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Depending on where you live you may be able to get in contact with a chow rescue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow Chow in danger of being put down

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Please post where you are located. There are people located all over on this site so maybe we can help.
ssward
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ssward »

I am in Greensboro, NC (USA). I did find a Chow Rescue in Pinehurst NC and have made contact. I do not know if they will take her yet.

Thank you,
Sheila Ward
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sounds like this is the typical situation where the family changes around the dog. Some dogs are OK with this, but Chows have issues sometimes. It also could be that the change in the dynamic is confusing. Chow is wondering who is in charge, and who the alpha leader is...as compared to who it used to be.

Certainly, I understand the concern and the risk. Even if the older child has a good history with the dog, the younger ones don't, and it sounds as if the dog has decided they are beneath him on the leadership chain.

Are there no other family members that could care for the dog? Someone familiar would be the 1st choice. If not, the rescue orgs are a great resource. Also, a photo post on this site would be a good idea.
ssward
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ssward »

Actually, I don't think that Princess has ever met the new babies. Since Starla (my youngest daughter, and the dog lover of the family) got married and moved out, Princess has not been in the house. She stays in the back yard all of the time. My middle daughter and her husband moved in and their dog (Kepler - a lab mix) is also back there, so Princess has a companion. Neither of the dogs get any attention, except for being fed and watered. I know that we can re-home Kepler - she's not aggressive, but it is Princess that I'm concerned about. I don't think she's been given the chance she should get to be cared for. She's not abused at all, just neglected, and it's sad for me to see that.

I should take the babies to the gate and see what Princess's reaction is. We have some children that live in the house behind us, and she's never hurt them, but then again - there is a fence, and every time they've been over, Miguel has put Princess & Kepler in the basement.

When Princess first moved to my house, we had an American Eskimo male who was not fixed. Princess was not fixed at the time either, so we had little "chowskies". Starla has kept two males (whom she adores and takes very good care of), and her husband's family kept the only female, and they dote on her. Starla and her husband are the only "dog" people in our family, but they can't keep Princess because they have the two puppies and the dad - the American Eskimo.

I have a video of the chowskies on YouTube. Search for Chow/Eskimo Mix Puppies and it's the one with Sheila Ward. Princess is in the video at the end.
I've also attached 3 pictures of Princess.
Attachments
Princess in the snow with Kepler and one of the chowskies
Princess in the snow with Kepler and one of the chowskies
Princess3.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Princess in Starla's room
Princess in Starla's room
Princess2.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Princess in the snow
Princess in the snow
Princess1.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

She is beautiful and probably just needs some tlc and worked with. Please don't give up and keep calling rescues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk