Question for those who show

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Question for those who show

Post by Laura »

I have always wondered why the Chows in shows appear to be clipped, especially their rear ends. I prefer the natural hair growth and just wondered why show chows have to be clipped/shaped...? Is it a rule? A preference? Everyone else does so everyone does it thing?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Question for those who show

Post by Cindy J »

Some people do clip, tidy up the back end of a chow for show. We do not. The only trimming that Chance has is around his feet. You will find some chows that have been trimmed around their ruff to better frame the face. A chow is NOT supposed to be clipped. Some do it, but it is not supposed to be done.

Chance has a tidy "back-side". Could be because he is young, could be genetics, could be how he is brushed... could be a combination of all three...... But, I love his cute butt. :lol:
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

What Cindy has said is 100% accurate.

Rory has never been clipped other than around the paw pads and feet to get a nice rounded look. I would recommend grooming the rear end with a rake as they mature though. This gets rid of any clumping or matting of the fur. Rory is extremely 'fluffy' back there, and to avoid the 'fly away' look, we do mist/brush just before shows. We also will use a towel placed across his back to encourage him to allow his tail to lie flat. That is more muscle memory than fur control.

Some owner/handlers will trim a dog that is not square to try to improve its appearance. A dog that is on the long side for example, may benefit from a minor trim to the hind trailing fur. It's not that effective, but it is done.

Believe it or not, the Chows you are seeing in the larger shows, are probably just groomed that well. We do not groom extensively on a daily basis...some touch up and light brushing, but nothing too intensive. Rory's brother was out of puppy fur a full 6 months ahead of him. Amber is a year and a 1/2 and still has lots of puppy quality fur on her butt. It doesn't show that well, but she is happier not to be harassed 3 hours a day.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Ok thanks guys. I just noticed while watching a dog show on TV that the rear ends were so well trimmed that the first thing you noticed was their anus staring at you. Their manes also appeared tidied up. My two have long hair on their bottoms that goes down probably to mid leg and I cannot see their rectums staring at me! Lol! And yes if any poop gets stuck I clean it. They go to a great groomer but the only trimming I allow is their feet. Shuggy especially gets those wild hairs growing out. Anywho, thanks again!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

One thing on the back-side that perhaps gives the impression of clipping is the hairs on the butt are actually brushed outward. If you were to use the anus as a center guide and part the hairs to each side.

And as Rory's dad has mentioned, using a rake will cut down on clumping. I have also seen the rake used on the underside of the tail to some degree; nothing excessive. I also see hair spray used on tails and wonder what the judges think if they touch the tail. We have had judges that seem to go over every inch and other who skim over basics.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

By what I've seen the top chows in the USA are clipped or shaped all over. I've seen pictures in books and advice in person where to "shape " them. Most other dog breeds that show have their rears and other parts trimmed also. It's just part of it, like it or not.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

612 Is right, technically. I was thinking more along the line of serious trims.

All the show dogs will have a scissor taken to them to avoid any stray strands. Once groomed, if they have anything out of alignment, that will be trimmed off. Particularly around the ruff and ears. We are all looking to find that 'square' look. Don't think box, think height equal to length.

Cindy is right again. It's not so much trimming or shaving, but grooming direction. Chow's rears are groomed away from the center to achieve a smoother look. This accentuates the tail section, but it does lead to a cleaner chow.