Restricted breeds list...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rukster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Restricted breeds list...

Post by Rukster »

Is it possible for complexes to make an exception if a dog-interview is requested? Or is it legally-impossible because the restriction is advertised?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Restricted breeds list...

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not sure I completely understand your question, but i'll go with what I think you are asking...

Depending on where you live, the complex may have restrictions on pets based on either local regulations or insurance limitations. A restricted dog list is intended to limit liability in either case.

If they are requesting an interview, they may be determining suitability on a dog by dog basis, but I haven't heard of that happening very often. More likely they are trying to verify breed. Chows are definitely going to be on most lists and based on the photo, I don't think you can pass your Chow off as a pom. Again, dependent on your location, but many communities, HOA's, landlords, and insurance companies will allow a dog that has been CGC certified even if they are on the list.
Rukster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rukster »

Haha, yeah... I was asking my boyfriend if I could pass her off as a mutant Pomeranian. LOL.
I'm sorry my post as vague! Yeah, I was just wondering if it were possible for exception to be made.
I've heard of people making resumės for their dogs including any certifications.
I'll look I to that! Thank you!!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I don't know how anyone could deny that face! Adorable!!!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Breed restrictions rules are tough on responsible dog owners. I hope they will take your dog under consideration. It is too bad that lazy pet owners make things hard on those of us who take the time to train and socialize.

Good Luck!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukies_Daddy »

Rukster,

You may want to see if their concern is rooted in insurance issues - most complexes are required to have some form of insurance.
I have learned for myself that many of the major insurance offerers will not insure living spaces where Chows are present.

Sukie's Daddy
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Check to see if they make exceptions for dogs that may be on the restricted list but have completed a CGC certification. It's not that difficult and if your dog has good understanding of the basic commands you are mostly there.