Sad chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sad chow

Post by ski »

I have posted previously a out Loki and his health issues. It seems old age has caught up with him and he has severe arthritis. He is on tramadol for now. Panting continues but the real issue is that he seems sad. All the things he enjoyed...sitting on the porch and barking at the deer, looking for the fox, etc. he has no interest in. He follows me all day long. It is so bad I put the gate on the stairs when I need to go to another level so he doesn't follow me. We still walk, just slower. Vet said this medication might make him sleepy but he isn't. He is just clingy, but he has been that way for weeks. I don't know what to do for him. Today he totally ignored the deer right outside his window. Even the cat doesn't seem to interest him. Any ideas?
AudreyBG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sad chow

Post by AudreyBG »

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear your Chow isn't feeling well. With my old dog, I found that being silly with her and playing on the floor with her helped lift her mood. Also, she used to perk up a bit around other dogs. I have often heard that depressed dogs sometimes need another dog for companionship, they are pack animals after all. I actually saw this exact thing happen and it really worked - my friend had a very old Chow Chow and decided to get a new puppy. The presence of the younger dog really helped the older dog have more energy and he seemed just generally happier to have a companion. Just my two cents based on experience.

Some tips I've looked up for cheering up depressed dogs:

· If you can take your dog for a walk in the morning, when the sun is shining, it should help him throughout the day.

· Take some special treats with you when you go for a walk. When your dog is playing ball or acting normal praise him lavishly, and give him treats. It is possible that your dog will associate acting normal with rewards. (Using this same logic, you do not want to go up and give him treats when he is acting depressed.)

· Bring him home a new toy. As well as distracting him, a new toy might make your dog happy. This should be the kind of toy that you both will interact with.

-If his examination and bloodwork is acceptable, and the depression is due to causes around the house, your vet may recommend medical therapy. Prozac and Zoloft can be prescribed for your dog.

Depression is a chemical imbalance and must be treated as such (once other causes loneliness, health problems, etc have been ruled out). I would consider getting your dog on a low dose of anti-depressants if all else fails.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sad chow

Post by ski »

Thanks for your help. He does seem to enjoy his morning walk.
We just got home from the Vet and she said some of these meds might have an effect on him as well.
We have another chow, Frisco, and although they are great buddies, Frisco is also a senior canine.
My daughter is visiting next week with her new puppy. Maybe that will get him going!!!!

In the meantime, he is attached to me like Velcro. To at all chow like!!!