What do I make of this?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

What do I make of this?

Post by ski »

I am at a loss as what to do with Loki. He has been acting strange for about two weeks now. It all started with panting and not wanting me out of his sight. He follows me everywhere! So unchowlike! I took him to the vet as I knew something was wrong. She gave him a complete physical. Including blood lab, and she said he had a urinary tract infection. Made sense to me. He has been on antibiotics for a week but he still won't leave me alone. At the moment he is sitting on my feet. I take him back to the vet in about a week but this behavior has me worried. Is this normal?
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: What do I make of this?

Post by WyoChowDad »

It sure sounds like he's not feeling well. My male Chow got bladder stones once and acted the same way but he ended up with an obstructed ureathra that need immediate surgery. I think he's telling you he doesn't feel well. I hope the antibiotics do what is needed and he starts to feel better soon. I wouldn't hesitate calling your vet if you are still worried. Wishing you and Loki the best for a quick and full recovery.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid he is having a problem beyond what the vet diagnosed. Aside from the panting when I came in tonight from being at dinner I found him in our master bedroom closet fast asleep. He didn't even notice we had come in. I am so worried about him.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I hope you don't wait a week to take him back to the vet. Follow your gut instinct that something is not right and get him checked.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Absolutely! We are actually out of town but cutting our trip short to head home.
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Please keep us updated. It sure sounds like the vet missed something. You might ask the vet to look for stones. My boy Nikita acted very similar but didn't have an infection. Then a stone became lodged so no urine could pass and that required emergency surgery. Whatever is going on, he sure isn't feeling very well. I hope you can get back home quickly and get him back to the vet.
It's so hard when they can't tell us what's wrong. I hope you get some quick answers and proper treatment to make Loki feel better.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Just got back from the Vet after being there for two hours with Loki. The good news is that they have ruled out lung, heart or urinary problems (X-rays and more blood work). What they did discover is that he has severe arthritis of the spine. Vet also feels he may have a bit of dementia. She prescribed tramadol and rimadyl. The rimadyl I am to start next week. I feel so bad for him. His panting was so loud last night he woke me up. I am hoping this pain medication works for him. He has been having problems with stairs but I thought that was due to his back leg where he had surgery. Well, I, too, have arthritis. I guess we will grow old not too gracefully together!!!
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

I would also try some supplements that are high in chondroitin sulfate. There are many out there. I use one called Fresh Factors. Its made by Springtime Products. http://www.spingtimeinc.com My old girl Peekaboo had amazing results from their products. She improved so much that Peekaboo and I are featured in the current catalog. Give them a try.... We sure got good results that changed Peekaboo's life in her final 2 1/2 years. Cosaquin is good as well but more expensive.
It sure is difficult seeing our Chow kids grow old.
I hope Loki feels better soon!

Mike
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely check it out. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make Loki more comfortable. It is so out of character for him to follow me EVERYWHERE... I know he is not himself.