General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can chow chows have birth marks?

Post by Amc88 »

Hi everyone Molly is about to be 11 months and has this strip of coarse hair
Going down her back. Everywhere else she has fluffy hair, her hair has been like
This for several months has anyone seen anything like this?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.07 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (149.2 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Can chow chows have birth marks?

Post by WyoChowDad »

It looks to me like Molly is growing her second coat on her back. I've always heard it called "Guard Hair". My Chows have all had the coarse hair on their back. It comes in after the puppy coat sheds and the adult coat grows in. My 6 1/2 month old Misha is getting it on her back right now. Rough Chows have a double coat as adults. The course hair with a fluffy "down like" undercoat is absolutely normal on an adult.
The picture below shows this very well on my girl Peekaboo. She was over 14 years old in the picture.
Molly sure is a beautiful girl!
Attachments
Peekaboo at 14 years.jpg
Peekaboo at 14 years.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

WYO is absolutely correct. That 'strip' is the guard hairs. They are the beginning of the adult fur. Soon, depending on how frequently you brush and bathe, they will mix into the rest of the grown up fur.
Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amc88 »

Thank you for your help! I was wondering if it was going to grow out but nothing has really changed. I took her a bath today and brushed her which took awhile lots of hair came out. I will definitely need to make sure I brush her regularly. Peekaboo is gorgeous she does not even look like she's 14.
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

You should see a big change when Molly sheds her coat. Peekaboo didn't grow her thick mane until she was about 3 years old. As she got older her coat got thicker and more beautiful. Twice a year Molly will shed or (blow) her coat. This has always been fall and springtime for my Chows as they prepare for the change of seasons. The more you groom Molly the faster her hair will grow. I usually brush my Chows every other day except for when they are blowing their coat and then I brush every day. Thank you for the compliment on Peekaboo. Sadly she passed this last May just before her 16th birthday. My puppy Misha is almost 7 months and she is changing very fast right now. I wish you the best of luck with Molly.

Mike
Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amc88 »

Yes so funny you said that i noticed how jet black her hair was getting as i brushed some fluffy hair out. And yes it it not very thick at all but like you said over time it should thicken. I am sorry for you loss I actually have a 14yr old chow and she has good days and not so good days her vision isnt very good and has some arthritis in her back legs. Surprisingly she actually grew to love Molly i think Molly is helping her to feel young and comforting her as well. Aw would love to see a picture of Misha.

Allyssa
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

I'll have to get you some pictures soon that will show how Peekaboo's coat matured. I'm glad Molly is helping your 14 year old. It was my hope when I got Misha that she would give Peekaboo a young girl to become friends with. Unfortunately Peek only lasted a short while after Misha arrived. I've never been so broken hearted but Misha is helping me get through it. She's the most affectionate Chow of the 3 I've owned over the last 28 years. She's a very sweet girl!
I've included a few of pictures of Misha for you. I'll post the pictures of Peekaboo as her coat matured tomorrow.

Mike
Attachments
Misha 15 weeks.JPG
Misha 15 weeks.JPG (71.75 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Misha 5 months.JPG
Misha 5 months.JPG (35.24 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Misha 6 months -2.jpg
Misha 6 months -2.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Here a some pictures showing Peekaboo as she matured. Her coat became amazingly thick and beautiful especially when she was older. I hope this gives you a good idea of what may be in Molly's future.

Mike
Attachments
Peekaboo 3 years Summer Coat.jpg
Peekaboo 3 years Summer Coat.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Peekaboo 9 Yrs Winter Coat.jpg
Peekaboo 9 Yrs Winter Coat.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Peekaboo 11 years.jpg
Peekaboo 11 years.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Amc88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Amc88 »

Misha is so cute! It looks like she has a couple of different color tones in her hair so pretty. I know exactly where you are coming from lily my 14 yr old chow doesnt really like the whole affection thing on the other hand Molly loves affection just very weird seeing two different chows be completely different. Oh wow Peekaboo's hair is so pretty and thick i hope Molly's hair will grow out to be like that!