Female marking?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Female marking?

Post by TyChowgirl »

So pardon my ignorance on this subject, but Elsa is my first female chow and first female puppy (we adopted my female lab at 6 years old). Elsa is now 5 months old and seems to have picked up peeing multiple times over our time out. Normally I'd be concerned about an uti (she had one before I adopted her), but she's not bothering me to go out multiple times in a short period of time. Ty spreads out his peeing, do you think she's doing this too because he does it? Is she marking? Is this common or should I be worried?

Thanks!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Female marking?

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Maggie must pee 20 times on our daily walk, towards the end there isn't anything left. I would not be concerned with an infection unless she can't hold herself in the house, then I'd have her looked at.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hello Tychowgirl. females also mark territory. You'll know it is marking because they'll pee a little. Squat and then pee a little, after which they would walk away. They do it during walks and in the early mornings outside the garden or lawn within your home lot.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I have a female, yes, she definitely will mark 'her territory' when we are out on walks, or if we happen to be at the park etc.... I would assume that she would 'mark' our backyard if we had more than 1 one dog.