General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Always Out- Summer Shedding

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hey All,
Have a question.... Since I have had more time at home, Clover 'prefers' to stay outdoors in the backyard, um, I would say a good portion of the day. We have a screened door she comes in and out to be inside, food etc- at her leisure... , im home, not an issue.

What I have noticed is that since I am home, and she is outdoors so much, she is shedding crazy, and her coat has def. thinned out even moreso for a Massachusetts summer! (she is going to be 3 in the fall, so past summers, it has never thinned out so much, but then again, she has not had the 'luxury' of being outside as much as she wants... thinning out... is fine, makes since... but coming into the fall and winter, will her coat grow back just as thick and beautiful as past winters? I have to assume so, but I figured I would throw it out there, in case, my thoughts are wrong.... Ha, several people asked if she lost weight, um, no- ... her coat has just thinned out :)
Thanks for your feedback!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Always Out- Summer Shedding

Post by Rory's Dad »

Clover, yes it will grow out just like before. At 3 she has probably (finally) transitioned from having any of that downy puppy undercoat left during the seasonal shed. That is why she looks thinner. Rory and Amber are producing about a pound a day of shed fur. Wearing out the vacuum just so Amber doesnt walk around with fur balls hooked to her nails (seems to avoid Rory for some odd reason).

A nice rub down (massage) or a light brushing with a slicker brush will invigorate the skin and encourage fur growth without pulling too much additional fur out.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

hi
thx. yes, its a constant brushing with Clover... I don't remember it being such a heavy shed spring throughout summer, so I am glad, it is normal this season, which a majority of me assumed, but figured I would throw it out there and ask
Thanks for the feedback!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

As long as she is active and happy, nothing to worry about. I have observed Clover having longer mane as compared to her look alike Cassie. Maybe thinning comes with her age. It will probably grow back but not as abundant as before as Rory's Dad pointed out. Cassie's hair also is thinner now on her body as compared when she was under a year old. I blame the tropical condition in my place but maybe it does come with age. She is 2 years and 1/2. how time flies.