Chow Life changes

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Re: Chow Life changes

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh's walks seem to be more challenging for her but she loves her walks none the less. Yesterday she came out to the backyard to be with the rest of us and she took a nose drive :-(. Had to pick her up and get her steady. Her deramaxx prescription needs to be renewed but the vet says she needs a blood test to see how her body is holding up with the meds. I emailed him and questioned the need because - unfortunately - her days are numbered and if the deramaxx is causing issues with any of her vital organs, I don't think that would be the ultimate issue. Seeing her take a nose dive just broke our hearts...it really sucks to see our aging Chowgirl struggle.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:cry: Shiloh's vet renewed her prescription through December. She is going to the groomers every 4 weeks as her incontinence is making it necessary. She cannot stand on surfaces such as vinyl floors - her legs go out from under her. I purchased doggie diapers per a friend's recommendation. I will see how that works - hopefully good because it's hard to keep up with the laundry of the various pee pads and blankets. She eats better if I hand feed her and she still wants to go for her morning walks even though it is a real effort to keep her from doing nose dives. She has issues with her back end - she is sloped like a GSD and often goes down if one of the boys go past her and bumps her. It's so difficult to know "when". :cry:
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I am so very sorry. All you can do is take it one day at a time. Having gone through a similar situation with Loki, I know the pain this is causing you. You will know...your in my prayers... We just love them so much it is hard to let go
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh took her morning walk with daddy on Monday. She did really good. She did plenty of sniffing and ate some grass. As usual, I had to hand feed her - she ate a lot. Yesterday morning, I found her laying down in the kitchen area - not her usual place to sleep. I could tell right away that she wasn't breathing right. She was not able to get up and stand :cry: ...it was time. I had some work stuff I needed to do so I put her in my car and drove up and back home to get my laptop. I didn't want to leave her at home by herself. Seeing that she could not stand and her breathing was labored, I got a vet appointment for her to cross Rainbow Bridge :cry: . Long story short, she suffered and was in a lot of pain before she could be brought in for her appointment. It was agonizing for all of us. We will miss our sweet Shiloh but know that she is pain free at Rainbow Bridge and doing zoomies with her brother Nahkohe.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I am so very sorry to hear about Shiloh. Having been in your position recently I know how painful this is.
Please know I am thinking of you.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh I am so sorry! Bless her heart and yours. I know all too well the 'when' question and how difficult it is. You and your beautiful girl are in my thoughts.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Life is strange without our Shiloh girl...I keep expecting to see her waiting for me at the baby gate when I get home - now it's just "the boys". Feels weird having extra time in the morning because I'm not having to give her medication and hand feeding her plus the extra 20-25 minutes it would take for Jeff to walk her half a block and back. I keep expecting to see her peer around the counter when she would let me know she might be hungry or wanted a treat. We are grateful she is no longer in pain but we miss her so very, very much. :cry: