New Chow Owner Needs Direction

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Colette B`
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Owner Needs Direction

Post by Colette B` »

I'm thinking of getting a 7mnth old chow puppy, but have a few questions. It seems that the breed is a little lazy. I tend to run (not marathons by any means) a few miles every other day or so... We are also an active hiking and camping family. In reading blogs it seems that Chows have very little interest in activity.
Any thoughts?
Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Chow Owner Needs Direction

Post by Kahlua »

I actually have the same question. I recently got a chow puppy who's almost 4 months old. I want to be more active with him, but all he seems to want to do is sleep. I would ideally like to hike with him... but he's so lazy and I'm not sure how much exercise is too much? How do I know?
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

I don't think a Chow will fit either of your lifestyles too well. Their legs are short, and they don't bend like other dogs, which gives them that unique "stilted" gait. So they will tire faster than other dogs with longer legs that bend because they were originally bred to be guard dogs, not hunting dogs. That's why in the AKC shows they are in the NON-sporting dog category. My Chows do run, with short bursts of intensity, then rest. Perhaps other dogs in the sporting categories would be more suited to your lifestyles much better than a Chow would, and that would spare both human and dog some grief.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Chows might be okay for short distance bursts of energy but they are not the longer endurance dogs. Also, remember that Chows aren't going to do well in warm weather - so depending on your environment, you need to make sure you don't task them to do too much in warm weather. For us warm weather means 70 degrees and higher.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I have owned 2 chow chows. Both open face chows. Not sure if that is the right term, it's something I have seen mentioned on this forum. Mine had longer legs. Something like the longer legged, longer snouted chows you see in some old photos from the 1900's.
My first one was a large chow, 65 pounds and we ran together early mornings and early evenings during summer time. Winter was no problem, she'd pull me on my X-country skies. She would have made a good sled dog.
My 2nd chow is smaller, 40 pounds, she is too small to run any distance. 100 meters and that was it. I would never want a chow of the short legged kind with the short face, they can barely walk. Have seen many like it. They stroll at best. I myself have no use for dogs that cannot move because they're either too small or have a short nose and have trouble breathing during hot weather.
You need to do your homework before adding a furry member to your family.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

A brief lesson in the breed grouping distinctions...Non-Sporting does not mean lazy, incapable, slow, or lacking stamina. It IS a catch-all category designed to identify dog breeds that do not fit into the other categories. For example, a Chow clearly in not a Toy breed. Nor is it a Hound or a Terrier. Sporting Group dogs are hunters and retrievers. They were bred almost exclusively for that purpose. In old Europe, hunting was the 'sport of kings', thus the name of the group. None of those breeds play soccer or are particularly fond of frisbee (that would mostly be the Herding Group).

As to the history of Chows, they were bred for a variety of purposes. They were herders, hunters, pullers, and guardians. Thus, they don't fit into any of the neatly divided group divisions. In essence, they were a 'do it all' dog.

Now, i don't think weight or actual height has a lot to do with the ability to run a distance or climb a hill. The energy burst syndrome is real enough though. Chows that aren't exercised regularly do have a tendency to get lazy. But for anyone doubting endurance or stamina, feel free to take my Rory for a walk. Guarantee you will tire before he does. He will pull on the lead for as long as you allow. Miles probably, and at least 45 minutes to an hour. I know, i do it prior to every time he shows just to get him calmed down a bit.

More importantly is the dogs ability to breath. We have bred our Chows to a heavier, closed muzzle look (in some areas). I think these types do have a shorter endurance than the open faced types. And with the structure of the rear leg, long runs may risk injury to the knees or hips. Not a scientific guess, but i would think that a longer legged chow may do better with those activities.

As an aside to Kahlua, 4 month old pups really run the gammut with the energy burst thing. You may get 3-4 minutes of full go followed by 4 hours of rest. Its just a puppy thing regardless of breed.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Both chows I have owned were pure bred but not show dog material. Both dogs I had spayed as there was an understanding that I do not breed them.
My late chow Luna and now Mikki have come home covered with burrs, rolled in some dead carcass like a squirrel, rolled in mud and pretty well acted like regular dogs. Whereas my neighbour had 2 show dogs acting as bookends on each side of the fireplace. Did they have fun? No, most miserable dogs, not friendly, have nipped at people. The other chow in my neighbourhood was also a pampered chow. It was taken for a 5 minute walk per day, not socialized.Neighbours' chows were not to get dirty.
I prefer a well socialized active kind of chow chow.
Last edited by sit_by_the_beach on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

My chows are generally couch potatoes. Of course, they are senior citizens at this point but, heaven forbid, if a deer enters the yard and they are off leash, you have never seen a dog take off so fast. One time Loki ran well over a mile in a flash to run after deer. We found him covered in brush some time later. The same goes for any small prey. If the opportunity presents itself they take off like the wind!!!!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Chance is only 7 months old, but he is no couch potato. Even in this dreaded Texas heat I have to insist he come in and rest for his own safety. We walk about a mile every evening. He would love to go further (pulls to keep going), but temps are in the high 90's with very high humidity. He also has daily romps around the yard with our two rottweilers. Judges this past weekend were surprised by the amount of muscle under all that hair.

All that being said; if I were to simply put him in the yard to entertain himself I am sure he would just lay around (unless he spotted a squirrel). He is very active because we are an active family. I think he would also be content sitting around if nothing was going on. Chows are very adaptable. We don't do any running except chasing each other around the yard. Whether or not your pup is active or more laid back, be careful about putting too much strain on his growing joints at an early age.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I posted a reply to this post yesterday, but i don't know where in the world it went to...anyway...

To Sit...i think your interactions and experiences with show Chows is extremely misguided. There is no possible way any breed would progress through the show circuit with a nipping tendency or without a substantial amount of socialization.

1st off, any show dog will encounter more people and dogs than you will run into during a pet store or dog park lifetime in just a single show. The shows my dogs enter average 1200 entered dogs. When making their way to the show ring they will navigate through giant breeds, toys, and what most people would consider aggressive breeds. They will also encounter people of all types who want nothing more than to fawn over the Chow and touch is fluffiness. No chance a dog that is not properly socialized or trained makes it past that walk.

Next comes the confirmation event with the judge. 90% of the time it will be a new judge that you have never met before. If you have seen these events on tv, you only see a very small portion of what goes on. Each dog is paraded and must display proper walking technique and be at the control of his handler. The judge will then move onto inspection. Some judges will allow the handler to display the bite and mouth, others will insist on doing it themselves. Some will utilize a ramp so they are not leaning over the dog, others will inspect on the ground and test the dogs tolerance for having his space invaded. Moving on, they will touch the dog front to rear to check muscle tone and bone structure. Some will pull and twist the limbs to some degree to assess the hips and check for any looseness in the knees. Finally, they will check to ensure the dog is intact. Yes, they will handle his 'stuff'. Not sure how they check the females exactly, but the inspection is similar. Common decency dictates that you inform a judge if the female is in heat.

Again, not something an unsocialized Chow would tolerate well. And to finish is all off, the dogs are lined up for breed judging. Males and females, nose to tail. Often their is a female in heat, and they still mind their manners.

As to activity, 90% or so of show dogs are family pets 1st. They live normal pet lives and just head out to local shows for weekends. Mine show about 15 weekends per year, mostly within about a 5 hour drive from their home. Otherwise they are standard chows. My male chases squirrels and rabbits with varying degrees of success. He recently tossed a possum as if it were a stuffed toy and didn't fall for the playing dead trick. They chase each other when together and still play like puppies even though they are almost 3 and 1 1/2 respectively.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Colette, I would say right now there are two types of Chowchow (not their fur appearance).
One is bred for show and this kind tend to be the lazy ones as someone said in the above thread though they are not really lazy - just low strung. They are plump, their face is somewhat wrinkled. They are easy to find. More pricey.
The second type is bred as pet because as per AKC or other kennel club's description, they won't stand a chance to become champions. This type have a more open face, triangular snout and somewhat leaner than their show type brothers. This second type is also more active. They retain their ancestor's original ability and somewhat resemble them in appearance. They are scarce to find,and if you do, they are cheaper. This kind can fit your bill.
As a hunting dog, they can run miles. but right now, they are kind of show dogs as in best of breed, not obedience contests. You can try bide your time and find the second type.
Anyway, making the chow fat will make them lazy. Make them lean and they will be more active and full of enthusiasm.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I had started running in spring for a 1/2 marathon, nothing too extreme. Trying to get training runs in and walking Clover was a bit much- (springtime was a little over 2 yo, going with Cam's description and you can see from my avatar, she is a 'champion' in my own mind, haha.... :)
So I would take her on the 3 mile runs which she did (to my surprise, very well). Of course there was stopping 1-2x's but not as much as a expected. Again, though this was early spring in New England, so it was not hot and way below 70 degrees. The heat/humidity will tired them out, just as anyone.. so I will also mention that if you plan on running during the day/while the sun is still up in the summer.... (again, im referencing NE.. ) you may be quite disappointed with the results. Her pup, is just that, a pup. They sleep ALOT, well if you let them, they will as an adult too. I always wondered what Clover did when I was working. Well, I have found out... nothing, she sleeps. On the other hand, I can say lets go play, walk etc- and she is ready to go, immediately.

She loves being outside, she loves exploring woods. True hiking, im not too sure about, we took her down to halibut point reservation which has thick briars/shrubs and a low to water rocky coastline, she was much more thrilled with exploring the woods prior to that point at the res. (slipping on rocks, thinking she can plow her way through bayberry and briar bushes) didn't really work that well, but then again she was new to that environment.... She is leashed on walks, woods, if unleashed and a squirrel around.. she is going to chase it, its sweet though, bcse the squirrel is much too fast for her... She still thinks that she will 'catch it' to play... yup, play... bum up front down, ready to play with her new friends, but they never want to play with her ha..

Good Luck, and whatever decision is made, I am sure that you will have the best interest of the chow-pup in mind.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Colette B` wrote:I'm thinking of getting a 7mnth old chow puppy...It seems that the breed is a little lazy. I tend to run a few miles every other day or so... We are also an active hiking and camping family. In reading blogs it seems that Chows have very little interest in activity.
There's a large range of size, build & activity level in any breed. At 7 months of age, the current owner/breeder should have a pretty good idea if the pup is a couch potato, hyperactive or somewhere in between. Even within a litter there will be varying levels of "interest in activity".

It's the same on your end. Are your runs at 5 mph or 10 mph? 3 or 7 miles? Flat or hills? Does your family backpack at elevation at 10 miles per day or day hike in the low lands at 3 miles/day? Others have mentioned climate. I live in a temperate climate and my 10 month-old Chow behaves differently when we visit warmer areas.

There are many variables to consider to find the right fit for you, your family & the pup. It's good you're asking these questions, but there's no simple answer. For example, if you adopt a much more active dog, he might need a run every single day instead of every 2-3 days.
Kahlua wrote:I actually have the same question. I recently got a chow puppy who's almost 4 months old. I want to be more active with him, but all he seems to want to do is sleep. I would ideally like to hike with him... but he's so lazy and I'm not sure how much exercise is too much? How do I know?
At 4 months, my pup also slept much more than he does now at 10 months. I increased his exercise level (play & walks) fairly gradually. We now walk 3 times/day for a total of 4-5 miles. It's mostly on flat terrain at a sniff 'n pee pace. I do let him off-leash on the longest morning walk, where he can dash and chase squirrels, but those runs are not sustained.

I recently took him on his first camping trip and he did well on several 2-4 mile hikes with some elevation gain. Those were at a more consistent pace with much fewer marking stops. I always brought plenty of water for him and we did take a couple of breaks on each hike, especially on the warmer (high 80s) days.

You can see Thor at various ages here: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21000
He's now about 55 lbs. and 19.5" tall at the shoulders. He may get a bit stockier, but I doubt he'll grow taller.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Maggie wants to run with me but all that is a quick walk for me and I'm 74 yrs old. She is a pure bred show puppy and she would tire quickly on anything more than a mile, This Georgia heat has been in the high 90s so we dont leave the house until 8pm and home in 1/2 hour and she is panting pretty good.There is no way I'd take her on a long run for she would find some cool grass to lay on.
If you want to run with a dog get a retriever, greyhound or something like that!!!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

As an additional thought on this one, don't mistake a Chows panting for being overheated or out of breath. Certainly that can be the case, but panting is also a sign of adrenalin. When a dog is outside his environment or comfort zone, the heart rate increases and results in the panting. It is a cooling feature, but take into account the circumstances. Your chow (or any dog) will pant and tongue wag in many new environments either because he is thrilled to be there or because he is apprehensive.\

Chows also tend to vocalize in different ways. Call it huffing or whatever, but it is very common for them to express themselves with a throaty display. It may sound like they are choking or grasping for air, but in a lot of cases, its really just Chow speak. Again, consider the circumstances.
vacker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vacker »

I live a quite active lifestile. I run sometimes, we walk in the mountains and also we let our dogs swim after the boat in the summers.

My chow Zelda has no problem at all with doing everything I do with me, she really loves the mountains, swimming and so on. So I do not think you will have any problem with doing all that stuff with your dog.

But be sure to take it step by step, so that the Chow gets good muscles and stamina. And also check that she doesnt get overheated, my Chow always stops by herself when she needs to cool down and rest a bit, then you have to let her rest untill she starts to walk/run again.

But offcourse this is depending on what kind of Chow you get. Open face and good breathing is very important, and also that they have good hips and so on.
Check the parents of the chow you want and see how they are, if they dont like to run and be a active dog, the chances that your dog will be the same way is quite big!
coleena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleena »

I think you would be better with a different type of dog. We have a 2.5 year old pure bred chow and he is pooped after a walk around the block (and he is young and not at all overweight!) He has his active times but these are in short bursts. During the day he is happy to just snooze or follow me around if I'm in the garden. They are not endurance dogs, and obviously have a hot thick coat to contend with also. Chows are also more prone to leg/hip problems due to their stilted gait than many other dogs, mine has already had to have one cruciate operation. They're just not really built for excessive exercise. My husband wanted a dog to run with and was quite disappointed with our chow (as much as he loves him!) Mine also get easily side tracked with smells which would be frustrating if you were trying to run...!
vacker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vacker »

coleena wrote:I think you would be better with a different type of dog. We have a 2.5 year old pure bred chow and he is pooped after a walk around the block (and he is young and not at all overweight!) He has his active times but these are in short bursts. During the day he is happy to just snooze or follow me around if I'm in the garden. They are not endurance dogs, and obviously have a hot thick coat to contend with also. Chows are also more prone to leg/hip problems due to their stilted gait than many other dogs, mine has already had to have one cruciate operation. They're just not really built for excessive exercise. My husband wanted a dog to run with and was quite disappointed with our chow (as much as he loves him!) Mine also get easily side tracked with smells which would be frustrating if you were trying to run...!

To say that the breed Chow chow is not an active dog is just wrong, yes they like to take it easy some times like all other dogs, but they love to hunt, be in the wild, run and have fun. It all depend how you have breead your dog and how the breeder has trained the parents.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

This morning we went for a long walk. I thought I could tire Chance out before taking him to work with me. He still had enough energy to attempt to a catch a couple squirrels in the yard when we got back. :roll:

I think a chow's energy levels are dependent on many factors:

a.) Health: a healthy chow enjoys getting out and moving around with it's family. By healthy, I mean more than free of injury/illnesses. I also mean at a proper weight.

b.) Conditioning: A marathon runner does not get up one day and decide to run 26 miles. He works up to the distance over time. The same can be said about a chow. start your exercise periods short and build up slowly. Please remember that they are still growing and too much exercise at a young age can cause severe skeletal damage; e.g. dislocated hips. We take walks to work on nice leash manners and socialization. But the majority of Chance's exercise at 8.5 months of age comes from zoomies around the yard while playing with our Rottweiler. (Or running from me when I tell him it is bath time) :mrgreen:

c.) Weather: Heat and Humidity can suck all the energy out of a chow quickly. On hot days we encourage play early in the morning and then again after the sun begins to go down.

d.) Genetics: Even with a healthy well conditioned dog, having less than ideal genetics will be a factor in whether or not your chow will be able to jog with you. As others have mentioned, the chows with a shorter muzzle have a harder time breathing. This does not mean they are not active, just that they may not be up to longer distances.

Just a note for those who may not be familiar
" front and rear assemblies must be in dynamic equilibrium. Somewhat lacking in speed, the Chow has excellent endurance because the sound, straight rear leg provides direct, usable power efficiently."
Quoted directly from the A.K.C. standard

... also, a proper diet is very important. Feeding too many carbs (grains) tends to make dogs sluggish. That is what our doggy nutritionist tells me. :wink:
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
coleena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleena »

Agreed, I didn't say they weren't active, just that they were not excessively active dogs. This would be in comparison to say a retriever. I am simply saying that if you particularly want a dog to go running with there would be more obvious choices. For a wonderful companion with a mind of his own and complete loyalty a chow is a fantastic choice. If a running companion is at the very top of your list of doggy requirements though, then there are clearly more obvious and suitable choices....
vacker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vacker »

Cindy J: Well writen and I agree on all points!

coleena: I understand what you meant, but it can be difficult for other people who don't own a Chow to understand.
I just dont want the Chow to get (keep) the reputation that they are lazy, just lay around and are no fun at all, because that is not correct.

When I go home for lunch to walk the dogs, I sometimes take them out for a bicyclerun. And they really love it. But as Cindy J said, you really need to take it step by step. And also, try to let the dog run on the grass or stuff like that, because asphalt is not good for dogs or humans to run on.