Thinking of getting a Chow, but have toy dog. Help?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lyndsay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thinking of getting a Chow, but have toy dog. Help?

Post by lyndsay »

Hey everyone. I have been thinking of owning a chow chow (specifically a female) for some time now but I am not sure if the dog would get on with my other dog. I am 23 and I live at home with a family dog, who is a female toy poodle. She gets along well with my boyfriend's full grown male Shiba Inu. Shibas and Chows have many of the same personality traits. If the Poodle plays well with the Shiba, will it also be safe to bring a Chow around?

I do intend on socializing the Chow VERY well, with lots of walks, meeting people and other dogs, puppy school, etc. I also spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's house and I do intend to bring the Chow with me everywhere. Will this impede on her bonding with the poodle? Is it confusing for a dog to split their time between two homes? I'm just not too sure on how gentle these dogs are capable of being. I have my heart set on owning one, I just want to make sure it is best for all involved.

Thank you so much!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Thinking of getting a Chow, but have toy dog. Help?

Post by CocoLeBear »

I think it depends on the individual dogs. I would recommend checking out some of the chow rescues that fully test the dogs to see if they would be compatible with other dogs, cats, etc. Then, you can bring the dogs for a meet and greet. It sounds like an easy going neutered male might work well with that bunch--sometimes females don't get along.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I've never had a problem with my chows and small dogs. My last purebred girl lived with a mini poodle, 3 Pomeranians, a mini schnauzer, a min pin, a chihuahua, and a Yorkie in her lifetime. She was raised with the poodle and one of the poms. We NEVER had a problem. Now I have 2 chow mixes with 3 toy breeds (pom, Yorkie, & chi) plus a rottweiler. If they're raised with small dogs (same goes for cats) and taught how to interact with them properly you shouldn't have a problem between them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

You should know that a Chowchow is terrible with new surroundings. Nevermind if it is only 3 feet away from your doorstep. They will not easily budge. It could take you months and LOTS OF PATIENCE, not to mention wasted time waiting for your chow to make up his mind and just strut behind you till you've come to the street's pavement and then he will have his way anyway and you both have to go back in from where you came from (inside the house).
If you are planning to bring him everywhere you're in for a treat.
Getting along with toybreeds are not a problem of course! Making friends with your boyfriend's dog needs time especially if you are just literally carrying him around against his will. You might miss a lot of dates by being horribly late since your chow wants to just stay inside and watch football. :D
If you think you have what it takes (patience THAT IS) to own one, then go for it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Most chows do no act that way. Sure they can be single minded to a degree and like to make their own decisions, but they are not obstinate. What is required is finding what motivates the Chow. I have one that will come running from 1/2 a mile away just because you called her name. My other will look at you and wait until you display a treat reward or open the car door. THen he hauls his butt and gets there in no time. Leash training does take time and patience, but it's still all about finding that motivator. Again, i have 2 completely different dogs. I have a puller who just wants to go straight ahead to whatever is out there and i have a meanderer who is willing to just go along at whatever pace you set. I never walk them together for fear of being drawn and quartered. It again takes some time to figure them out, but its easily doable.
natashalindley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natashalindley »

I don't think it would be a problem as long as you are patient and do lots of positive reinforcement training! With my Chow puppy I took him everywhere with me and even though at first he seemed a little shy, I didn't encourage or discourage any behaviour and just let him sniff and explore on his own. He now is a confident little thing and goes anywhere with no problem at all! He has even decided that my mum's house and best friend's house are his 'other homes' and runs around in complete happiness when there! It does all depend on the individual chow though as I know some are more wary in nature. Always praise and cuddle the slightest good thing too! Hope that helps!
ibell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ibell »

I also have been taking my pup everywhere with me ever since we got her. She has never been the outgoing super friendly brave kind but she soon got the hang of it and now she absolutely loves going outside. I take her to my mom's house and spend weekends there often. There she would get to play with a dog half her size and sniff at 2 cats who're even smaller. She's still got her reserved personality but she is so much better and is willing to sniff new dogs and people instead of running away or hide between my feet. I think taking your pup everywhere is good to get them used to being in different surroundings so they won't freak out every time they see something new later. Make sure there are lots of positive reinforcements will go a long way.