CAN NOT KEEP YOGI

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow315

CAN NOT KEEP YOGI

Post by chow315 »

IT IS WITH A SAD HEART THAT I SAY THIS. I CANT KEEP YOGI. he is constantly biting us and our other dogs. we thought he was settling in but we were wrong. he thinks he owns the house and honestly we are afraid of him
chow315

Re: CAN NOT KEEP YOGI

Post by chow315 »

if anyone has any ideas on how to keep him i would really like to read them
Gerwinke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gerwinke »

He thinks he's the alpha of the house. The only way I know of breaking that habit is by asserting your dominion over him per say. Chows definitely need someone as stubborn as they are, I'm not saying that in a bad way. But they do require a strong will to keep them in check, some more so than others. I've heard of some people having luck crate training them and using a stern voice when speaking with them. They don't respond to yelling or physical altercations at all, not that anyone should every use physical force to train a dog of any kind. Another key thing is never show him fear, it's only going to reinforce his belief that it's his house. I would definitely try some things out before giving up on him. They really are wonderful companions once they learn who's in charge.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

thanks for your reply.we have only had him about 2 months.he is 2 and a half years old.we are his 3rd owner.were told as that was kept shut up in a small apartment with very little if any human interaction.has never been to vet except to be fixed when was very young. no shots nothing. we took him for shots he bit us even after 3 tranquilizers. did get the rabies shot. he plays well with our 8 yrold dingo.ignores our old chow mix. he will not let you pet him [ just a little]. and he is very dirty, can not bathe.took to our groomers who are wonderful, tried to bite them too.he is a white cream snooth chow akc and everything.we love him and want it to work out.our vet said knows someone who may help with training.her friend works for a rescue. were told not to give back to owner because would only be given away again to just anybody and that could end up very badly. please pray for all of us
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Please don't give up on him. We rescued our chow, Frisco, just days before he was to be put down. He had food aggression and fear of things with handles or sticks. You just never know what these dogs have gone through. The first week we had him we took him to the groomer. He bit the groomer. So much for grooming. We were able to solve the food aggression issue easily but he was very insecure and afraid. He also had very low self esteem. He would walk with his head down . It took almost a year before he felt comfortable around us. We walked him twice a day to bond with him and to tire him out. We were very firm with him and but loving. Our previous rescue, Loki, was a piece of work. He was found wandering in a parking lot and in bad shape. He trusted no one but somehow my son was able to get him emergency treatment. He needed further hip surgery so came to live with us (that was 8 hers ago). He required a lot of handling because of his injury. We would just take every step very slowly yet make it clear we were in charge. Frisco is now eight and Loki 10 and they are great buddies and great companions. Interesting that the two of them got along from the start. It was the humans they didn't trust. They have become great family pets. I marvel at the progress they made and take such satisfaction in the fact we were able to give them the life every dog deserves. No worries...you are all in my prayers. Bless you for trying to help yogi!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

About 2 months is not long enough to gain the trust of a pure chow. Half a year is more realistic. Or even a year. Having other dogs around makes it even harder to get his attention as he is paying attention to everyone, every dog.
Please DO NOT FORCE yourselves into him. That's why he is biting back. What I would like to advise you and your entire household is to IGNORE him. He will pay attention to you come feeding time and just throw a simple "good dog" and leave him. Try not to bathe him if he doesn't like. Chows don't trust easily and if you force yourself into him he'll bite. Just provide his needs which is basically water and food. maybe sleeping mat. Bare essentials. Gradually introduce whatever perks or rewards you wanna give if you are able to even pet him and see if his tail is wagging. If not, don't insist and back up. Try another day. and another day and so on. Give him 3 more months of this while ignoring him but you know, keep an eye and see how he reacts.

A chow rescue here in my place was so aggressive he bites back and he was so dirty, matted fur etc. He went to a lady vet after his rich owner decided to abandon him and he is about 3 years old at that time. And now , that chow has come around nicely. It has been two years since I knew that he has been re-homed. And his appearance improved because he can be brushed and be bathed now, he serviced my first time would be bitch. He allowed the shooter to assist them. Normally, a male dog will not allow you to do that - grumpy dog that is. But this chow has come around. He came to trust his new handler but it was not easy. I did post here about the then predicament. Glad to know he is very much at home and trusting to his new family.
You just need to show him you are there yet you do mind your own business. He will respect you for that and slowly will show signs of affections. Affection like, he will start to block out others just to be in front of you. Or he would look at you and follow you but he will not come near you - just keeping an eye on you. Later if you are sitting down, he may sit beside you. All these, just throw him a simple " good boy!" and don't say anymore. Little by little you will be able to pet him and maybe within a year, you can bathe him and brush him.
In introducing new things, DO NOT EXPECT IT TO BE DONE at all. If you wanna brush him, brush him and if he turns, don't grab him. let him turn, brush whatever fur is fronting you, if he bolts out, that's the end of it. Try another time. Same thing with bathing. etc.
If you can endure these, you'll be rewarded with a very faithful and protective chow. He will loved you unconditionally.
My female chow, she's my first and really a joy to keep. I would be a chow owner forever. Their temperament is a match for me. They are a breed who doesn't need a clingy owner.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh to add, the chow rescue I was talking about in the post above, he was given an area, a fenced area. He was not allowed to mingle with the vet's other dogs while he was being rehabilitated, though the fence is made of interlink so he can practically be seen. Until now he and his female chow partner is not allowed to mingle, They are enclosed together in an area where they can run around. They get along with other dogs but there were two dogs he absolutely hate. These two dogs he hated, they are free to roam the vet's property. - both female Dobes-Rott mix
chow315

Post by chow315 »

yogi has been behaving very well these last 2 days. my other chowmix who is 15 is just about the sweetest dog in the world. i just gave him a bath. he will step in the tub for me. he sat still while i bathed him.we rescued him a few years ago. he was going to be put down because he is deaf. his other owners must have trained and loved him very well. he is really precious and has great manners.we got him a silverlight rear harness. it helps him to stand up and gives him a little support.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I couldn't agree more with what Cam Atis stated. Very well said and very true. The biggest advice I can give is do not force yourself on him. That is when people get bit. Patience, patience and more patience. I'm sure he comes with a history of probably a not so desirable back ground and that is not changed overnight. This can take weeks, months and even years. The chow breed has a photograph memory like no other dog. They simply do not forget. Hang in there and thanks for rescuing him.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Cam Atis gave the most helpful advice. I am so glad you are giving Yogi another chance.
Banewith2mommies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Banewith2mommies »

Do not give up on him! We are first time
Chow owners and were naive and dumb and had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. At around 6 months the same issues came to light. Food aggression, possession aggression. Basically anything he picked up outside was his and he owned. We had biting issues and were at our wits end. We found a renowned dog trainer who basically taught us everything that everyone else is stating. Dominance is key. He has to respect you. And here we are months later with what seems like a new dog. A male chow that was terrible on a leash an had no respect now does everything we ask and listens to commands form yards away. Just have faith and seek some help. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I do hope Yogi is still with you. My Chow Chow rescue is still adjusting. He trusts me and my husband now, after several months but is still afraid of anything going on out in my residential neighborhood, UPS truck, kid on skateboard, neighbor pulling out of garage. I agree that it's best not to force anything on a Chow. We primarily walk the common grounds behind my house or the area of my local park away from the playground. He is terrified of kids screaming and laughing. Wish I knew why.
Point is that if you are able to sustain him in a calm way and not push him, he will most likely turn around. While Buddy2 immediately bonded with my senior female chow mix, it took months for him to not be leary of us. It took a year and a half before he would remain laying down so I could rub his belly.
My fingers are crossed for Yogi. Good luck!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

I agree with all of this advice. Back off, ignore the dog, and let him learn to get to know you, start to trust you, and seek our your affection/show interest in you. Give him a predictable routine and stick to it. Call in a good dog behaviorist/trainer for their perspective, and consult vet. It might be that adding in a temporary medication that will relax him like Xanax might help through the transition/provide an opportunity for some progress.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

All good advice. As I've posted before, patience, calm, persistence, rinse repeat ad infinium. Love is earned, but once your chow makes the choice you will never feel it was any effort at all. :) Best from ShenLung and FuShiLu.