Weird

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Weird

Post by TyChowgirl »

Okay so lately I've been noticing Tiberius my 3 year old male get very.... Licky...with Elsa who is only four months old. This is particularly on her mouth. It's becoming kind of obsessive at times. If it's not her mouth then it's her genitals.
Anyone have an explanation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Weird

Post by Cam Atis »

Is Ty neutered? Sorry can't remember if he is intact or not.
Anyway, dogs are like that. Exactly the way you described. You'd be more freaked out if you see it amongst bitches. :-) but yes it is normal.
If Ty is intact he can mount her even.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Weird

Post by TyChowgirl »

Nope, he's neutered. I would expect it if she was older or coming into heat maybe...well not expect, but not be concerned

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yea. I mean they do it even if the female is not in heat. Kind of a show of affection.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Weird

Post by TyChowgirl »

I mean, I figured but, like I said it was borderline obsessive. Of course I caught her flea nibbling him so maybe they just really love each other. That makes me happy just because I know I made the right choice in adopting a second. I was concerned he may not agree per se,
But he seems so much happier

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

..and you named her after Elsa of Arendelle. :lol:
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Weird

Post by TyChowgirl »

Well my husband and I have a funny way of coming up with names. I was hell bent on Isis to go with Tiberius, because I have a Tulio (black cat of 13 years) and Indigo (black cat of 4 or 5, who we did not name). He then says to me he disliked the name Isis and said he was surprised I didn't name her Elsa because I enjoyed Frozen and she's almost all white like her namesakes hair. So Elsa it was to be. Her original name was Tess... Which she didn't acknowledge... But Elsa she did

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

hahaha. She thinks she's just been named after a very well known character. My 3 daughters are all crazy about Frozen and I personally liked it too. HAVE watched it too many times I think I already know every word. Anyway nice to hear Ty has a buddy now.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Weird

Post by TyChowgirl »

ImageImage
Caught in the act

andomozed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Weird

Post by andomozed »

My two year old Chow, Eddie does the same thing to my Akita pup...well she's 6 months old now, but Eddie has always licked her face and occasionally other areas...it seemed to me almost as if he were cleaning her up a bit
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I think it is super-sweet, just from the pix. I only have 1 pup, so not allot to give advise on, but from the pix, it looks just sweet and caring.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

We have a split on this one at our house.

Both male and female intact. Male will do the licking thing at her face once they are all calmed down for the evening. Female has some tolerance for that but then will take it as an invitation to play fight. That solves Mr. Chows interest.

When they have been separated for a while though, his interests tend to move toward the rear end. Again, she is ok with that unless she is starting her heat, and then it's hands (nose) off. After that they are separated full time so as to prevent unwanted events...

I personally feel its just a dog thing and will let it be. Drives the wife nuts and she tries to stop it immediately.

And, i know what you mean about obsession. Rory (the male), will actually go into an odd state where his tongue flickers for lack of a better term.