Puppy Crying!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

natashalindley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy Crying!

Post by natashalindley »

As you know I have a new puppy called Django, he is about 13 weeks now and my boyfriend and I have had him for about 2 1/2 weeks. He is so well behaved, he sits before having his breakfast and dinner, lies down and waits for treats etc. When on walks we practice heel so he isn't allowed to walk ahead of us (as I think he will be a big adult and might yank me around when he is older haha!) but walks beside or behind us unless he is zooming, playing with other dogs or sniffing around.

The only problem we have started to have is that he whines for attention. Currently when we leave the house and come back in we ignore him for a couple minutes to show that leaving isn't a big deal (he doesn't whine or cry when we leave, we know because we put our ears against the door for ages ha) but when we come in and he is excited, while we are ignoring him he sits and does a little patter of his front paws and whines. He also does it when I come downstairs and ignore him for the first couple minutes (again for the same reason why we do it when we leave the house). He will sit by my feet, patter his paws and whine/cry looking up at me. It breaks my heart!

Currently my boyfriend and I ignore it, he also whines when he wants to play and we have gone upstairs to do household chores (doesn't do it when we go up to bed to sleep) and we just wait until he stops before we come down again so he doesn't think we are catering to him. I have tried saying no firmly or AH when he does it which stops him for a few seconds. He also does it when he hears my voice on the buzzer (When i forget my keys I buzz my boyfriend to let me in the gated area) and he whines while he is waiting for me to come in and vice versa. Again we have just been ignoring it but it breaks my heart!

After the initial ignoring for a few minutes after coming downstairs/coming inside, I usually sit on the floor to say hello and he climbs into my lap and curls into me for cuddles, is this bad?

What shall I do? I don't want him upset as we really love him! :(
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Puppy Crying!

Post by Laura »

Ok this is really heartbreaking to me and I don't understand your logic. I consider it an honor and a privilege to be greeted at the door when I come home and the very first thing I do is acknowledge and return that love. How would you feel if your boyfriend came home from a trip and you had been waiting and were so excited and then he ignored your attempts to hug and kiss him? The pup loves you, is excited to see you, and you are his world. Please acknowledge and relish in that love. Don't ignore him to try and teach him some lesson he is clueless about and isn't a problem in the first place. Also why isn't he allowed upstairs with you? He wants to be with you and again you are ignoring and punishing him.
I have two Chows that are almost 7 years old. Shug is so loving and attentive and his world revolves around me. His tail is always wagging and he loves attention and play. He is a total love bug! Then I have Chloe who is all textbook aloof Chow. She tolerates me loving on her but she isn't one to seek out and demand attention. When her tail wags I feel truly honored because it doesn't wag very often! It sounds like you have a Shug. Embrace that love and return it. It won't make him grow up to be a bad dog but ignoring his offers of love, greetings, etc. will change his personality not to mention hurt him.
I know that you aren't a mean person and that you aren't intentionally trying to do anything wrong. Just please don't ignore the love you are being freely given and please return it. It will go away if ignored.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

I understand that you're trying to train him not to have separation anxiety. If he doesn't cry when you leave, it seems to me like that's not really an issue. Likewise, though I understand not responding to whining when you need to do chores or other necessary tasks, I think a quick rub and promise to play later (yes, they do understand) is fine. But I think you should definitely acknowledge and cherish a joyful greeting. That is undoubtedly one of the most wonderful parts of sharing life with a dog.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
natashalindley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natashalindley »

Thank you so much for your replies and I am really sorry if I have upset or offended either of you. I was just told that for the first two minutes you come through the door you should ignore the dog so that he/she doesn't think that it is an issue that you leave or return. I will change my attitude straight away, I have been giving him lots of kisses and cuddles tonight to say sorry and I am glad you have told me this now so I can change my ways. He is allowed upstairs and he wags his tail and climbs all over me when I place him on the bed for cuddles, we only have a bedroom upstairs...all the other rooms are downstairs so I meant when my and my boyfriend have some alone time we leave him downstairs :oops:

I am going to be extra attentive now and be grateful for any affection given, I give him so so many cuddles after a couple minutes through the door but I will now shower him with all my love. I am really sorry, I feel awful now and so upset to have made my little boy sad.

I have so much love to give and I have never shouted or hit him and never will. My boyfriend and I love him with all our hearts and when we all cuddle in bed, he squeezes in-between us or falls asleep against one of us. I didn't think ignoring him for a couple minutes when coming in through the door was cruel and I wish I could take it all back.

Thank you for letting me know and I am sorry again and even more sorry for Django :(
Last edited by natashalindley on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natashalindley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by natashalindley »

This is him just after falling asleep on my lap, he likes to have his belly rubbed and sometimes he snores like a little piggy :P
Attachments
SleepyDjango.jpg
SleepyDjango.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

He is adorable and I know you weren't trying to mean. I can tell how much you love him and how sweet you are. I'm glad you got a cuddle bug like my Shuggy.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Yaayy! \:D/ I was neither upset or offended. I understood that you had the best intentions of the tough-love variety. You certainly do want to watch for signs of separation anxiety. But it sounds like you guys have set good boundaries that Django seems to understand & accept. So I think you all will be happier without that 2-minute rule.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puppy Crying!

Post by TyChowgirl »

I didn't ignore Ty when he was a puppy, but instead didn't give any love until he was seated. I didn't want jumping to become an issue because he was going to be (and is) a large boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Wish I could get my Loki on my lap!!! Enjoy the attention. Loki used to greet me enthusiastically at the door with lots of kisses. Now he is hard of hearing and often is fast asleep when I get home.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Great responsed by both Laura and Drew. Don't take it personally or think you have offended people. We understand your thinking and are trying to offer different perspectives.

I agree that if you walk out of the house...stand next to an open window and dont make a peep. If you dont hear whining at that point you dont have a separation anxiety. When you return, greet with great affection and attention. That is what your Chow is trying to do. Also, consider an immediate trip outdoors. He probably needs a walk...lol.

I have 2 chows...male and female and neither are fixed so they must be separated at times during the year. They get alternated between spaces so they dont get the impression of favoritism. Which ever one is closest to the back door goes out 1st and the other gets extended welcomes. Then they swap. They get the concept and readily accept it.