yogi

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow315

yogi

Post by chow315 »

my new chow yogi 2and a half years old. seems he is afraid of everything and everyone.took him for his shots today was very friendly with other dogs. went in for exam very aggressive tried to bite the vet and me tried to put a muzzle on him could not. was sent home with tranquiliaers to take and then come back. talked to person gave him to me said they had him since 6 months old and never had any shots or went to vet. i plan on keeping him could use any advice. thanks
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: yogi

Post by ski »

Poor Yogi must have been so frightened. It appears he was never socialized as a puppy. I certainly don't like the idea of giving your chow tranquilizers. Chows take some time to become familiar with their new surroundings. Be patient. Give him some time to adjust. Are you comfortable with this vet? Many Vets do not like to treat chows.
Loki and Frisco have been goi g to our vet for years and yet, on each visit, she spends somet time greeting them and making them comfortable before treating them. My chows have never been muzzled. I suppose it might be necessary on some occasions but, like everything else, you must introduce the muzzle and try to gain their trust.
Good luck! Good for you for taking this dog and giving it a good home. You will not regret it...
chow315

Post by chow315 »

the vet was very kind showed alot of patience. yogi was trying to bite everything and everyone. the tranquilizers are a 1 time thing so he can get thr shots he needs. after i got home i called the people i got him from they said they had him 2 years and has never once been to a vet. they said the people who had him before kept him locked in a small apartment alone most of the time. we love him and are doing our best.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I am glad the Vet was patient with him. Bless you for giving him such a good home after a sad beginning. He will slowly begin to trust. It is important that he get his shots. Our one rescued chow had been abused and it took a little while for him to feel comfortable with us. That was almost seven years ago and he is the sweetest dog and loves everyone...even the Vet!! Keep us posted on his progress
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I would be wary about giving tranquilizers. Our Lilly wasn't socialized either, & possibly abused or neglected emotionally. Our vet came out to the car to give Lilly her shots & I put the muzzle on her right before our vet came out. The second time we took her to the vet was for toenail clipping. Put on the muzzle. Mike carried her in, they took her right away, we both held her while she was having her toenails clipped. Everything went so fast she didn't know what was going on. (We adopted her Christmas 2012, Lilly was five years old.) Hopefully you can get your babe socialized. It can be a long journey but don't be discouraged.
chow315

Post by chow315 »

spoke to former owner today.said yogi has bitten her and her other dog very badly, leaving them with bad scars. said this is why they gave him away.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Our black chow Frisco was surrendered because of "aggression". Our vet rescued him a day before he was to be put down. She was attempting to find a no kill shelter for him when I came into the picture. She asked if I would foster him until she found him a place. His aggression was food related. She was told he bit one of the children in the home when she reached near his bowl. We were hesitant to take him on but from the very start he got along with our other rescue, Loki. We never noticed any food aggression although we worked with him from the very first time we fed him. We notice, however, his total fear of anything with a handle...a mop, kitchen utensil, swifter, etc. he was very insecure. We also noticed he had very low self esteem. He always walked with his head down . One day he got sick and got so frightened he hid under the table shaking as if we would punish him. We reassured him, took it one day at time, and before long he was a different dog. As you guessed, this foster turned into a permanent home with us. He is such a great dog!!! All our efforts paid off. This may sound funny...but he always seems grateful. He greets me first thing in the morning with a smile like expression. He is totally in love with our grandson and is very protective of him and sits by him inspite of the occasional toy coming his way. Hang in there!!!