General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Teeth Care

Post by Truffle »

Hi,

my baby boy is 1yr+5months and his molars are just getting that yellowish cast/beginnings of plaque at the base and in the crevices. he eats kibbles, boiled chicken, some other types of lean meat on occasion and i give him as many greenies as possible. is that enough? i am SUPER worried about him getting a cavity and having to have surgery :( i tried brushing with a liquid for cats/dogs that is supposed to be good and he doesn't mind much.. is this all i can do for now? any specific product recommendations and has anyone had a chow develop a cavity? how un-/common is this?

THANKS!
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Teeth Care

Post by gluesticks »

Just brush, brush, brush! Once a day, maybe twice if you are overly concerned. We brush our dog's teeth at night time every day and he is nearing his 2nd birthday in June. His teeth are still pearly white! But we do notice if we skip a day or two, or three, that his breath will begin to smell.

We also buy dental chews by Natural Balance (LID duck dental chews), bully sticks, and nylabone type toys to keep his jaw active and his teeth busy. But alas, there is no magical product out there other than good 'ole fashion brushing to get the job done!

I personally wouldn't recommend Greenies though. Too many chemicals involved with the product, a lot of mold and quality issues, and ingredients found in antifreeze and plastic that can affect your dog's health (and wallet!). I have worked (and continue to work) in pet retail for 7 years and well, lets just say Greenies have experienced their share of recalls, sick dogs, and pissed off clientele. Needless to say, not a fan of Greenies at all...

-Glue
Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Truffle »

wow that is some very good info! my chow thanks you :) i'll def switch from greenies. do you know if milkbone is very bad? he doesn't like many treats so i like to spoil him with some milkbones every once in a while.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

You're welcome!

Milk-Bones are another product of controversy, as their ingredients are often foreign and questionable and laden with chemicals. Certainly a product I wouldn't feed my dog. Here's an older article thoroughly explaining large company products you may be familiar with: http://goodnessgracioustreats.wordpress ... -the-beef/

Basically, I'd recommend you stay away from big name pet products like Purina, Pedigree, Milk-Bone, Ol Roy, etc. And rawhide.

Louie loves bully sticks/springs, antlers, hooves, venison trachea... bones (filled with frozen peanut butter of course!), dental chews from either LID Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo (which just recently came out with a dental line). Occasionally I'll also give him Pur Love chews, which are similar to busy bones made by Purina, except without all of the foreign ingredients.

Another tip when you are shopping... IF you are shopping at a big box company like Petsmart, they often times have their treat "wall" organized from left to right from their lowest quality products to their highest quality products (minus greenies).

-Glue
shahriarkhan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shahriarkhan »

People always don't give special care to their dental health to keep safe. It is one of the most important thing we all should take care of.
The Loose Tooth

I am not advertiser in this site. Once i have dental problem then i find a dentist who have many years experience. Then i find this site and contact them. They treat me and now i am fully healthy from my dental problem.
lrfishwick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lrfishwick »

I have just been recommended a product called Plaque Off - bought via amazon - has anybody else tried this - the reviews on the site almost sound too good to be true - but my 11 year old westie needs help with her teeth and she will not let anybody near her, so brushing is not an option. Thanks
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I can't really comment on their effectiveness, but I recently got my dogs a couple of the bully bones. They love them. Amber, my female chow sat with it for an hour completely devouring it. She is a needy dog that really doesn't like to be on her own or away from the family, but boy that kept her attention. Rory, our male is totally independent and could really care less about toys, chews, treats, etc. I gave him one after dinner and basically let him be. Next morning he had it in his mouth, flipping it around. Completely chewed and kinda nasty soft gummy mess. He put it down for breakfast, but then picked it up to take outside with him. Since we raw feed, I worry about whether they actually get enough grinding/chewing. They certainly get the chews going with those things, and I have to think its good for them, whether or not it addresses any cleaning issue I can't say.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Bully sticks are supposed to be good for their teeth according to multiple websites I have been reading. My dogs love the ones that are filled with dried tripe but they devour them much quicker.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukies_Daddy »

Folks,

I have had luck with treats called "ARK NATURALS Breath-Less Brushless Toothpaste".
My girl Sukie likes them a lot.
They freshen her breath and help out in between actual brushings.
They can be found online at places such as Amazon.

Regards,
Sukies_Daddy