General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lhumphr12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beat the summer heat on walks

Post by lhumphr12 »

Hello
My beloved chow Rome likes to take walks with me in the park in the evening but I am worried now that summer is coming he wont be able to regulate his body temp. Tonight we went on a walk about 2 miles ( he needs the exercise as he is a bit overweight from the winter ) it was only 75 F and he hasn't been able to stop panting even though we stopped for water and he had more water. We got home over an hour ago. :( has anyone had any success with the cool pack vests? What methods can we use to take our evening walks?
Thank you !
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Beat the summer heat on walks

Post by Laura »

I live in the south where it is very hot and humid so we walk in the evenings, mostly after dark and even then we probably go less than a mile. I also try keep them brushed/groomed so that the under coat is kept brushed out as much as possible. They live indoors with the AC going and a doggie door for when they choose to be outside.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Beat the summer heat on walks

Post by Piff Poff »

Neither of mine could manage two miles without stopping to sniff lots and lots and then they would want lots to drink too. I find two shortter walks or even three better for them and in the heat those walks slow right down.
Thank you Sweatpea