My Nala has a hernia

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Nala has a hernia

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Has anyone had any experience with your chow having an inguinal hernia? I think she was born with it. The vet said she had one with her puppy check up at 8 weeks. We are going to have to get her fixed. The vet said if we got her hernia repaired and she had puppies, the straining could tear open the repair.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My Nala has a hernia

Post by sue »

Yes Teddy my third girl had a hernia that was found when I got her at 8 weeks old & I took her to the vets the day after I brought her home for a check up.On vets advice he said to wait until she was spayed & he would do both operations together she was a year old when she had it done.Discuss it with your vet its easier on your girl to have one operation where both the hernia & spaying can be done together rather than having her go through two operations & two recovery times.If your vet agrees to that then when she comes in to heat make sure your garden is secure & no dogs can get in.Basically for three weeks you have to watch her like a hawk to make sure no males get near her.Teddy was fine after she had the operation done.I hope all goes well for you
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

My Nala has a hernia

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty's brother had one. I believe they were two separate surgeries for them just because they didn't want to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Nala has a hernia

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Thank you! What did the recovery time look like for y'all? Is she going to be in a lot of pain?
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

Every girl is different it will be house rest only no walks till the stitches come out.She will probably have a collar/cone on her head to stop her licking or trying to bite the stitches.The best advice I would give you is if she's 8 weeks now then she will go back to the vets at 10 weeks for her next set of injections.As he has said that she cant have puppys after the hernia operation I would go over it with him.Ask him how he wants to treat her does he want to do both op's separately or together.Either go with his advice or if your not happy with what he say's you can always go to another vet for a second opinion
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Nala has a hernia

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Thank you!! :)
PaulMcKein
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PaulMcKein »

i know such situations when there is a little hernia in newborns but in a week it can dissapear easily, have you been diagnosed. But probably if your vet said that. at first you need to get rid of hernia and after she will be able to have puppies. They are the best friends of human being and probably the symptoms and methods of curing are simillar, so you can check it here http://hernia-treatment.net/symptoms-si ... -treatment.