Carrying Chowling.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Garysia88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Carrying Chowling.

Post by Garysia88 »

I've a 2 months 5 days old chowling, named Chieko. She seems feel tense when i picked her up(like picking a baby human up, which by under the arm). Maybe some of you may say this way is not a good way and might hurt her, but i just do that sometimes just to transfer her to other room when i am tidying the room.

Anyway, back to my question, when i pick her up, her body seems a bit tense and the back legs bend a bit to the back. Or when i am carrying her with my whole arm under her chin and belly, both of her front paw clasp my arm tight. Is it she is afraid of Height? Will she grow out of it or need to be trained to get over it?

One more thing is when she is eating, when i touch her, she seems to be very sensitive, not in a aggressive way, but is like moving away from the touching. Like, if I touch her back when she is drinking milk, she will bend down. If I touch her on the right shoulder, she will move to the left. When she is not eating, we can touch everywhere without really bothering her. Why is it?

P/S: No picture of her is attached at the moment since i just created this account and am at office at the moment, thus no picture to upload. :P
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Carrying Chowling.

Post by Sirchow »

To pick your chow up you should support their whole body weight and not leave parts hanging. One arm scoops behind the back legs and the other under the chest behind the front legs with the legs over the top of your arm. Front end higher than back end. Picking them under the arms forces their front legs too far forwards and most of their weight is taken by their elbows and shoulder joints which as they grow older and heavier will hurt.

Touching a dog when it is eating encourages it to become nervous and food protective and move away from you. If you want your chow puppy to accept you around their food then keep the bowl in your hand, make your puppy sit or lie down or what ever you would like them to do and feed them a reward from your hand of some food. Continue with a few more scoops stroking them and making a fuss and then rewarding with food and then hold the bowl out in your hand and allow them to eat from the bowl as you hold it. This way you bring them nothing but pleasure associated with eating and you being close by them. No fear, no need to guard and always hoping that you will be there with the food. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Garysia88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Carrying Chowling.

Post by Garysia88 »

I see, thank you very much for the info. Will try your way. Hope that she will get over nervous quickly. :)