Puzzle toys

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puzzle toys

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ever since Ty was a puppy, I've played search and find games; he's always enjoyed them. We've tested and brought home some puzzle toys which to my glee he figured out much quicker than his BFF lab partner in crime Emily. I recently brought home two treat dispensers that are definitely challenging and it's fun to watch him try to solve them. Anyone try these with their chows? Have any good puzzle toy suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Puzzle toys

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi TyChowgirl,
unfortunately I have no experience with puzzles for Chow, but I would love to see Simba doing those.
He thought himself how to open sliding doors, and he developed some games for himself, like biting treats into pieces and then eating them starting with the smallest piece first.
I would like to introduce some challenges to him to keep his brain occupied.
Best regards
Pinoy51
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puzzle toys

Post by TyChowgirl »

Pinoy, I buy puzzle toys when I see them on sale at the pet stores like pet valu or pet smart (haven't really seen them at petco) but they are kind of expensive. Treat dispensers are good puzzles too, which is what I got this time around. They're funny shaped with funny shaped holes so they don't just roll out easy. Pet smart had a toys r us line that had these games. Otherwise seek and finds are always fun. I play the clam shell game with him or when he's not looking hide myself somewhere in the apartment and he has to find me. He does in a timely manner and then sits and whines.(he doesn't like not being able to see or get to me, nor the notion I'm doing it on purpose!) The puzzle toys are cool because he has to pull things out and slide them around to get to his treats. Good mental stimulation :)

Kylea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kylea »

Hi Tychowgirl,
Great thread! I've been looking at dog puzzles for my future chow puppy as well.

My boyfriend and I will be getting our chow puppy this summer and I have looked into these puzzles for him to keep busy during the day while we are at work. Nina Ottosson makes a good line of dog puzzles that I will probably be purchasing from. They come in different difficulty levels but are a bit expensive through the website, so I've found that amazon offers them for a cheaper price. I'm also a fan of the Kong toys. If your pup is getting good at retrieving the treats from the toys, I've read suggestions about freezing the treats or peanut butter in the toys. This keeps them busy and stimulated longer. I will be doing more research into whether or not peanut butter is healthy for chows but just thought I'd share my tips with you. The Nina puzzles seem to be the most well-made and thought-out of all the one's I have looked at. Hope this helps! :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puzzle toys

Post by TyChowgirl »

I'll check into them. As of right now he's never had an interest in kongs. I tried them as a puppy and gave it away to my neighbor for her dog who loves it. He also gave up on the ones I just bought. He likes being able to pick out or nuzzle open things. Chewing repeatedly to get the treat to happen to pop out bores him. When doing this, tossing it across the room, squeezing it with his mouth and paws still don't allow it to come out he stops caring. Lol

henry22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by henry22 »

Move over, hide and seek. There’s a new game in town, and it’s called hide and squeak. This plush puzzle game is simple, really— you stuff the adorable little squeaky squirrels into the oh-so-soft tree trunk, and watch your dog pull them out one by one. It’s simple, and slightly less cardio-heavy than the normal chasing of squirrels, but it keeps dogs entertained even when they’re just, well, chewing on the squirrels.
EricAck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EricAck »

I have just seen a new puzzle toy and treat dispenser that Kong have made, they are called Clicks. My dogs have always liked the regular Kongs, so I want to try these. Our vet says the treat dispenser toys are good for their mind. We will see how smart they are!
MichaelMason
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MichaelMason »

I have tried a puzzle toy game with my chow, named Hide and Squeak. He loves to spend time in it.
Patrickd11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patrickd11 »

TyChowgirl wrote: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:31 am Pinoy, I buy puzzle toys when I see them on sale at the pet stores like pet valu or pet smart (haven't really seen them at petco) but they are kind of expensive. Treat dispensers are good puzzles too, which is what I got this time around. They're funny shaped with funny shaped holes so they don't just roll out easy. Pet smart had a toys r us line that had these games conditions isolation 1€. Otherwise seek and finds are always fun. I play the clam shell game with him or when he's not looking hide myself somewhere in the apartment and he has to find me. He does in a timely manner and then sits and whines.(he doesn't like not being able to see or get to me, nor the notion I'm doing it on purpose!) The puzzle toys are cool because he has to pull things out and slide them around to get to his treats. Good mental stimulation :)

Yes, I too stay glued to the distributors when I go to the vet.