Devastated

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Yoyo kc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Devastated

Post by Yoyo kc »

We dropped our chowchow at Petsmart in Kansas City as we were in Chicago for the weekend. We also booked for him to be groomed. The lady asked how he should be cut and said that a 'lion' cut would be good. We assumed as she seemed to know about chow chows that it would be fine.
They called this afternoon to say his chest was matted and they were going to make it the same length as the rest of his body.
We collected him today and his coat is all gone. He's been shaved so short and his mane is all gone. We are beyond sad and don't know what to do. We never imagined they would do this to him...I've never seen a chowchow shaved before.
First of all - what should health wise. His coat is short if he starts scratching and licking he could become sick. I was thinking a collar until it has grown back a little. What do you guys think? We were thinking maybe a sweater so he doesn't scratch his skin....it's never been exposed like this.

We are going to see the manager tomorrow - I'm so angry right now.
I feel like I should sue them- his undercoat will never be the same again.

Any advice on how to make sure he stays healthy until some fur grows back is appreciated.

So mad at them!!!!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Devastated

Post by Pinoy51 »

Most important now is, that he stays out of sunlight. The fur is his main protection against sun burn the skin is more sensitive than human skin to UV radiation.
I would give supplements like fish oil or VCO (virgin coconut oil) to support the fur growth.
Have him on tick and flea prevention like advocate or spot-on.
He should be fine
If you check my reports about Sally, who had a severe case of mange and had lost nearly all her fur, then you will get the good news, that the fur will grow back ! Maybe not perfectly, but pretty good.
Nevertheless the groomer should have told you clearly what a lion cut means, it is one of this stupid attempts to make a Chow look different. Unfortunately it is common in my country (Philippines) too, as the wrong believe is that the Chow will feel cooler with less fur. I'm trying my best to educate as many people as possible that this is nonsense and you expose your chow to the risk of Skin cancer if in the tropics the sun can reach the skin.
Wish you good luck with "educating" the groomer and don't worry too much, your baby will look good again.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Yoyo kc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yoyo kc »

Thank you! You made us feel a little better.

I'm still fuming - I think I'll still be angry in the morning.

He's being a brave boy and he still has a smile on his face. We'll keep him inside and keep a close eye on his skin. I just hate that other people will think we wanted this for him.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwww I'm sorry this happened but he will be fine. The hair will grow back. I'm not sure where you are located but with summer/shedding season upon us here in the US it may take a bit longer. I would be careful with the sun and just watch him for issues. He may have razor burn which would cause him to irritate his skin further with licking and such or he may act completely normal and have zero issues from this other than a 'cooler' summer. I used Petsmart a few times when my two were pups but after hearing some bad things I now take them to a private groomer that they love and I trust. I never have them clipped or shaved, just a bath and blow dry/brush out.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Did you not understand what a Lion cut is? You should have asked and It should have been made clear to you. Nevertheless, what's happened has happened the fur will grow back , in the meantime a t shirt or doggy coat will help keep the sun off and your chowbaby warm. From what you've put the groomer just did as you agreed.
Thank you Sweatpea
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Piff Poff wrote:Did you not understand what a Lion cut is? You should have asked and It should have been made clear to you. Nevertheless, what's happened has happened the fur will grow back , in the meantime a t shirt or doggy coat will help keep the sun off and your chowbaby warm. From what you've put the groomer just did as you agreed.
I agree. The groomer wouldn't have done anything without your permission, and as the fur was matted, depending on the severity, you had to have signed a waiver to have the shaving done. Unfortunately when matting occurs, which is avoided by frequent brushing, the only option is to shave to avoid further injury to the skin.

That being said, lion cuts should NEVER be performed on a double coated dog! But nonetheless, it will grow back as everyone has mentioned here. If you are concerned about his skin, you can apply sun block and Shea lotion and even add coconut oil to his diet. Clothing also works well against the elements.

Everything should be alright! =)

Keep us updated.

-Glue
Yoyo kc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yoyo kc »

Thing is it wasn't matted. It maybe needed a firmer brush, but we brush him regularly (especially his chest as he likes it). If he had just had a bath then he would have been brushed fine.

I called the store again today to speak to the Store Manager - she is busy in meetings and will call me tomorrow.

By the way, I don't feel like we agreed to anything - if the grooming involved shaving that should have been explained to us. Chow chows always look like lions.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

While chows do look like lions and bears (oh my!) the infamous lioncut involves shaving the chow down everywhere except the head, sometimes the feet, and a tuft of fur on the tail. Apparently my husband's uncle used to have this done to their chow (my husband's family ended up with later) every summer and got very pushy with me when we first got Ty and brought him to the reunion. Thanks to this forum and research I knew better and explained why you shouldn't...well having a chow for a while he apparently was more knowledgeable in such things and we agreed to disagree :roll: but PA summers are a nice cool 70ish degrees at that time of year with a nice summer breeze compared to the hot sticky humid 90 in MD where we live now. I always chuckle at people and tell them not to pity my boy in the short times he's out in the summer. He spends his days in air conditioning.

Point being, if you told them lioncut...the poor groomer was doing what you ask as that is grooming term for that particular style...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I too use a pet box store for my dogs, its just easier to get an appointment, but i am very specific with what they are allowed to do, and what they can never do. Shampoo and condition...shed-less shampoo and allergen-free conditioner (they will get itchy with the harsher shampoos). Complete brush out. NO Trimming whatsoever except between the paw pads and to shape the paws. Work knots (around ears) best you can, NEVER use a shaver/trimmer. They will always call me if they have any questions. Blow dry. Reward with a treat. Call me when they are done.

I have never had an issue. Over the years, we have developed a rapport with the better groomers. These stores actually charge a lot more. I show both my dogs in AKC Conformation events and use a professional handler most of the time. My handler was shocked that we average about $85/dog per groom. She said she would do it for 1/2 that. Given the volume these stores do and the markup, hopefully they are passing that on to the actual groomers, although i doubt it. But that would be the way to keep your top quality employees.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Devastated

Post by TyChowgirl »

Eek! That's a lot. I one time had tried to book an appointment for Ty as a puppy because the groomer had a reputation for working well with chows but she was full and when they told me the price it said nevermind! It's different because you show, but I just learned to do everything myself and take him to a DIY. Less than 20 to clean up the mess and me to use their shampoos and conditioners (which we end up using a good bit lol) I'd do it at home, but my shower isn't currently equipped for dog height (tried to hook up one from a pet store and it was cheaply made, broke soon after) and their blow dryers helps blow away all the excess fur during coat blowing season :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I pay $50 per groom. My groomer has her own shop that she started with another groomer so it is just the two of them. I think $50 is a great price considering the job! Chloe was still a pup in my sig pic (the black one) but she has mountains of hair now and there is no way I could keep her in shape on my own! She has to go in monthly whereas Shug goes every 2-3 mos. My groomer knows that no cutting/clipping is allowed except for the wild hairs that grow out of Shugs feet and I will let her snip lil mats around ears if needed. I've never understood the need to change a Chows natural hair growth/coat by clipping/shaping it. It is perfect as is to me. To each his own though.
I would be lost in a sea of hair and mats without LeeAnn!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)