Chows and tropical climates/Travelling with a Chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jaymhk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chows and tropical climates/Travelling with a Chow?

Postby Jaymhk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 am

I'm hoping that some of you Chow experts can give me some advice.

I have a 9 year old who I adopted 6 months ago. I absolutely adore Lucky and we've really bonded during this short time. Trouble is, I've recently decided to take a year off to spend some time in Central America. I was hoping that my parents could look after Lucky while I was away (they're his "home away from home" and he adores them), but they are currently renting a house and not able to have any pets. I have friends who would be willing to dogsit him for a couple of weeks, but no one wants to take care of him for a whole year.
So, now I'm kind of screwed. For my own sanity, getting out of the country and travelling is something that I just have to do (and it's always been a dream), but I don't want to give up Lucky.

My question to you guys is this: How would he hold up if I took him with me? My biggest concern is obviously the heat (I currently live in Toronto, so a tropical climate would be new to him). He also has arthritis, and I'm not sure how climate would affect that.
But I'm also worried about me wanting to travel from place to place and being able to take him with me, both from a logistics point of view, and also worrying about stressing him out.

Has anyone travelled with their Chow? Any advice you guys can offer would be appreciated. I really want to try to make this work for both of us, but ultimately I want Lucky to be happy!

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chows and tropical climates/Travelling with a Chow?

Postby Pinoy51 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 am

If you listen to yourself, you already gave an answer. How can 9 year old chow with arthritis follow you on a trip through Central America. Sounds also you're not planning to stay in one place for long, this would be torture for a relatively old dog. Only exception if you're planning to go on that trip using a motorhome.
Honestly you shouldn't have adopted that poor guy, because that plan of yours is surely older than six months.
Find another loving home for your chow before you go on that trip
Best regards
Pinoy51

Me & Tess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Me & Tess » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I feel like I should have posted this earlier. When we were moving from Southern California to Montana, we brought our dear Tess with. She sat on the back seat and would give paw just to touch us during our trip. She was the best travel companion. Sometimes I sat with her in the back. We took our trip slow, made sure Tess had little walks, plenty of water & lots of love. Tess was about 10 years old when we made the trip. She had some arthritis in her hips. Never complained, this dear girl of ours.

Like I said we lived in Southern California. Mike & I worked different shifts so Tess was never out in the heat for anymore than two or three hours. Sometimes when I came home I would "water' her which she loved. Southern California can get very hot and humid. Tess was black, and I am sure the heat really bothered her but we had sheltered areas in the yard where she could find shade. She did have moments when she got very hot up here in Northwest Montana, once I took her down to the creek to get her paws in the water & drizzled water around her head to cool her off.

If you do bring your Chow with make sure all her shots are up-to-date & you have the necessary documentation.

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Pinoy51 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 pm

@Tess and me
Moving from one place to another an living in a hot place with a Chow is okay. My Chows live in the tropics.
with plenty of water, shady areas, cooling fans and if it's really hot (38 C and above) they join us during the day in an air conditioned area. If we have road-trips only in air-conditioned cars with loads of water.
Jaymhk wrote:
"But I'm also worried about me wanting to travel from place to place and being able to take him with me, both from a logistics point of view, and also worrying about stressing him out.

Traveling from place to place for a year or so is torture for a an old dog with the exception of an motorhome and continuous companionship. If you want to visit places dog's aren't always allowed. I think I don't need to explain the difference between moving from one place to another and traveling from place to place.
The first is no problem and you described well how to do it, the second requires a amount of consideration, planning and money that not everyone is capable of doing and can afford
Best regards
Pinoy51

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Constantina » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 am

If it's always been a dream then you should not have adopted a dog in the first place. For your own sanity? It has to be a whole year huh? You were just going to foist your loyal chow to friends and your parents if they could take them? I don't know what is going on in your life but you really should not own a pet until you have learned to think of others and stop being so impulsive. Please consider not going if you truly love Lucky.

Return to “General Discussions”