Potty training advice

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty training advice

Post by Nala'sMommy »

What are y'all's thoughts on the proper way to potty train. We go outside in the grass at the front door. Nala has been doing pretty good but especially when she's playing she will squat right where she is and pee. She does not poop in the house at all.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Potty training advice

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Remember that she is a baby and has a small bladder. Additionally she does not have full control of her bladder at this time. You have to take her out to the grass frequently. She will learn, it won't be long.
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty training advice

Post by Nala'sMommy »

She is doing so much better than when we got her. What are your takes on what to do when she does go in the house?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

My take on it is ignore it, take her out quickly and praise her if she does something, clean it up and try to do better next time lol :)

Most puppy accidents are down to the owner not being alert enough. A puppy needs to go out when it wakes, when it's eaten, every half hour when it's playing and any time it stops what it's doing and starts wandering or sniffing. Having said that there occasions where a puppy can have a UTI and if it persists it is best to get her checked out just to be sure.

You will get there. :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree, you ignore it and move her on to the proper area. You cannot punish her in any manner. She wont understand. If she tends to go in one spot, its likely the scent hasnt been completely removed (and its way harder than any retail product will tell you). So, you could restrict her from that area, but in a general fashion, not as a punishment. If its more of a time issue (2-3 hours max as a young pup, extending that as she ages), then you need to increase the trips outside. I have always been lucky in that my dogs have been able to wait all day as adults, and will even try to outlast the rainy season, but not all dogs are that stubborn.
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty training advice

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Thank you everyone! The advice is greatly appreciated!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Another thought on Nala...if she is going during play time, she may be getting excited. That can make it difficult for her to exhibit control.

Try to time her play time. Hold off until AFTER she goes. Then reward her with the play time. Very quickly she will associate the 2 and you should have a real easy go of it.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Most puppy accidents are down to the owner not being alert enough.
Sirchow is correct with that. It has been a few years since my two were puppies, but that triggered my memory. The first day I had Malachi, he was like a leaky faucet. Just about every time he stopped, I was cleaning up a puddle. The next morning he made this funny little noise, and I took my time getting my glasses on to take him out. Once again, I had a puddle to clean up. After that, I knew what his signal was and immediately reacted. It didn't take long for him to get me trained. He still makes a funny little noise like he is clearing his throat. He comes over to my side of the bed and lets me know it is time to take him out; however, he now can wait for me to get my glasses.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Potty training advice

Post by TyChowgirl »

It seems like many puppies have a way of expressing the need to go. Whether it be the sniffing around or giving their own signal. Ty would walk over by the door and do a little jump. Or in the evening he would bark and tug on my clothing acting like it was play time but really, he had to go.
Pay attention to what your puppy does and soon you'll be able to figure out her tell. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nala'sMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potty training advice

Post by Nala'sMommy »

Thank you! Nala is very secretive about her tell for now. I'm going to have to keep watching and waiting :)