Decomposing wood, dirt, what will a Chow eat?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Decomposing wood, dirt, what will a Chow eat?

Post by Me & Tess »

I was out with Lilly yesterday like always. We were walking our west woods then over to our north woods in back of our garage. Lilly started smelling around like crazy, I thought at first she was trying to find a place to spend a penny, but it became apparent that it was not her goal. Her little nose was smelling everything in the area, rocks, dirt, decomposing wood. She finally settled on the decomposing wood & started eating it. She was coveting it, her face went "patty pan." I know that I physically couldn't get in between her and her find, so I started telling her "no" "it will make you sick," several times until she finally left it. Tess used to eat dirt in a particular place on our creek where a slow tributary fed into it. I can understand why Tess ate the dirt because of the minerals, but why was Lilly eating the decomposing wood??? Last winter Lilly found some moss or lichen on a rock and ate that & I can understand, it was greenery. Does anyone have any answers why a Chow would eat decomposing wood?
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Decomposing wood, dirt, what will a Chow eat?

Post by Cocoa »

I have no idea why she would eat decomposing wood, but I know that if I let her Cocoa will strip the bark from sticks and eat it. When she gets a stick she will carry it for a bit (quite proudly, she struts when she has a stick) but then she will lie down with it and start to strip the bark, I have no idea why. :?
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Decomposing wood, dirt, what will a Chow eat?

Post by reddog »

You posed an interesting question when you asked why a chow would eat decomposing wood. I’m sorry that I don’t have an answer but your question brought back a favorite holiday memory of my beloved Chloe.

The last Christmas season before Chloe passed away she went through a paper-eating phase for whatever reason I don’t know why. Newspapers, magazines, mail - anything was fair game or so she thought. One day I was in the process of arranging my angel collection on the top of my upright piano and laid my sheet music on the piano bench until I was finished. I left the house mid-way through to run some errands. When I came home I found my sheet music for “Silver Bells” had been partially eaten by you- know- who. She followed me into the room and just looked at the piano bench and then at me and with a look on her face as if to say “I am so-o-o busted” To this day, every tine I hear the song “Silver Bells” Chloe comes to my mind and I smile or sometimes I shed a tear or two.

Back to your question RE:why a chow would eat decomposing wood - my thought at the time Chloe was in her paper-eating phase was perhaps she felt she needed more fiber in her diet. Paper is made from wood, maybe Lilly thought she needed more fiber in her diet. :)