Our Chow bit my wife

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Our Chow bit my wife

Post by GeoFil »

Hello everyone and greetings from Greece.Me and my wife have a 14 month old cinammon Chow named Kristi.Yesterday Kristi suddenly and without warning bit my wife on the foot and pierced her through her slipper.The case was that my wife tried to push away a toy-ball of Kristi and she bit her.Nothing like this has ever happened before.We had her a little basic training done,we socialize her with humans and other dogs,we both walk her outside,play with her and feed her and of course love her the same.We understood in the process that Chows aren't your typical cuddling dog and sometimes we think that we have a cat in the family more than a dog but this was very disturbing,especially for the future plans that we have for kids.Any advice?
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Our Chow bit my wife

Post by gluesticks »

In what way exactly did she bite her? Was there any warning, like growling or body tenseness, that would indicate a bite? And in what position was Kristi in when this occurred?

Training goes a long way with chows. They tend to be poor sighted too, which could have provoked the bite if she were in a position where her foot surprised her. She could have been trying to play. Or she could have been behaving possessive over the ball, which is unacceptable and for which further obedience training may be required, as chows will continue to challenge their owners throughout their lifetime.

It's important to look at this situation with a calm perspective, as I don't think the act of biting was necessarily an aggressive intent, but a case of mistaken identity or reason and/or an insubordinate (submissive/dominant) issue. Something like this can def be worked upon =)

-Glue
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Maybe the description is not so detailed, but it could be that the dog was attempting to play with the ball and got the wife's foot instead. If thats the case, misplaced teeth happen, and if it wasnt an intentional bite, then i wouldn't worry. If Kristi was protecting a resource, then that is different.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am with Rory's Dad. From your description it is difficult to determine the exact circumstances of the biting. Dogs generally have a reason for biting. A 14 month old dog should know better. It is possible that he is testing the limits of what he can do and is trying to assert himself, but without being there and observing, it would be difficult to accurately say. You and your wife will have to work with the dog, and make sure that he understands you are in the leadership position. This will be done with your voice and body language rather than physical contact. Dogs are very keen observers of your body language, and you can use this to your advantage, especially since this allows you to control the dog when he is across the room.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I think the responses you have gotten are great. The only thing I would add is any dog you have will have to be supervised around new children. I read you have done some training and I would suggest you continue. Training builds a strong relationship as well giving the dog confidence.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 9478 times
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Thank you all for the very quick responses.I believe that it was a territorial matter after all because sometimes she stands above her ball or treat and won't move.My wife didn't realise that in that specific moment.For that case we have started her training again yesterday.We banned her climbing on the sofa and her toys remain away from her reach and will come out only in playtime with us.15 minutes per day commands learning with treats and hopefully she will behave alright.She is very normal since the incident,happily wagging tail and all.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

That's wonderful to hear! I have done similar training with my chow with no issues (ie: not allowed on couch or bed, no toys unless its playtime, sit/down commands, etc)

It's great to hear you are being proactive about it. Good luck and keep us informed.

-Glue
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Will do!Thank you very much!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Maybe it's just the camera lighting but Kristi looks like a shaded red. Pretty girl!
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

As for the future children part of the conversation- I have to say, Clover,who definitely has the chow trait of 'could care less about humans/ umm, she may have been called a diva.. - anyways you get her temperament with people-
Has the patience and respect of a saint when it comes to babies, children.

I think I've told the story's million times- so short version-my husband and I do not have children, my younger sister, had my 1st niece, Isabella on October 18, 2011. I picked up Clover originally named Isabella in Dec, unbeknownst to me, her birth date- 10.20.11... Point being, since then Clover,even as a pup, has been tolerant, respectful, and even plays with Isabella- they play ball together.. and alerts my sister when my niece is doing something she shouldn't.

At the park, I am always astonished how she is tolerant of children not being supervised, running full force towards Clover and her head- 1 instance, I was too far away to get in between to intervene. Thinking to myself, oh god, oh god,this isn't going to be good. Clover didn't act in aggression...

I don't know if I lucked out in this positive behavior, or if Chows just know some things that they need to just um, 'suck it up & deal with'.....

I have a feeling if your pup hasn't shown aggression towards your wife previously, then it was a mistake that unfortunately had a really bad outcome...
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Constantina wrote:Maybe it's just the camera lighting but Kristi looks like a shaded red. Pretty girl!
Hahaha....a very nice paint job I must say!But no she is cinnamon. :D
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Clovers_Mom wrote:As for the future children part of the conversation- I have to say, Clover,who definitely has the chow trait of 'could care less about humans/ umm, she may have been called a diva.. - anyways you get her temperament with people-
Has the patience and respect of a saint when it comes to babies, children.

I think I've told the story's million times- so short version-my husband and I do not have children, my younger sister, had my 1st niece, Isabella on October 18, 2011. I picked up Clover originally named Isabella in Dec, unbeknownst to me, her birth date- 10.20.11... Point being, since then Clover,even as a pup, has been tolerant, respectful, and even plays with Isabella- they play ball together.. and alerts my sister when my niece is doing something she shouldn't.

At the park, I am always astonished how she is tolerant of children not being supervised, running full force towards Clover and her head- 1 instance, I was too far away to get in between to intervene. Thinking to myself, oh god, oh god,this isn't going to be good. Clover didn't act in aggression...

I don't know if I lucked out in this positive behavior, or if Chows just know some things that they need to just um, 'suck it up & deal with'.....

I have a feeling if your pup hasn't shown aggression towards your wife previously, then it was a mistake that unfortunately had a really bad outcome...
The more I keep learning facts and things about Chows the more I realize the common characteristics of their behaviour.Yes Kristi is a diva too,sometimes feels like having a cat around,she has never shown any signs of bad behaviour against children but there were times when she growled at my wife or some members of her family and in all circumstances her toys or treats that she tends to guard were involved.So we hid her toys and started training.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Training, training, training. And training is an ongoing forever thing. Sounds like she is a bit possessive and will guard resources. You have to work with her to make sure that she understands she does NOT have to guard her resources. It is ok for you to pick up the toy and handle it, and that when you pick up the treat, you will return it. This is not just a chow thing, All dogs should be so trained. My experience with chows has been that you can never stop the training and the reinforcement of the desired behaviors. They will want to return to their territorial and possessive ways otherwise.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

sometimes I wish there was a quick 'like' button....
On the flip side of what I said of it being a mistake, if there is the slightest possibility that it was not a mistake, 'Ursa's Dad' is spot on with his response. Continuous training is always positive, plus it's a good mental activity for them....
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Chows are willful. The whole training thing of "nothing in life is free" applies. They know to sit and wait while I open the door, but I constantly have to reinforce it. Malachi knows not to get on the step at the storm door because he is in the way. He will jump up there all the time. I have to tell him back and then sit before opening the door. He will try to see if I will give up. It is a constant testing of the limits of what you will do. That is why you have to be consistent with following the rules you have set. I really love my chows, but it takes determination to keep them in line.
GeoFil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GeoFil »

Couldn't agree more with you and will try to intense her training.