New to Chow World

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

DakotaGA
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to Chow World

Post by DakotaGA »

Hi. This is Dakota's new mom. He is about 1 year old, the vet thinks. We will never know for sure, he was thrown out of a moving van and lived on the streets for about 3 weeks before deciding he could trust me.
I appreciate all of your insight to the breed. Dakota is probably mixed with either husky or something of those lines, but he is mild-mannered, beautiful, sweet, and learning to be a happy dog. We originally were going to look for his owners, but after seeing the broad span of abuse, he belongs with us.
Your baby's are all beautiful.
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (25.23 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New to Chow World

Post by ski »

He's beautiful! Bless you for bring so kind to rescue him. He will be a great companion
DakotaGA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DakotaGA »

Thank you! He is my first chow mix, but not the first rescue. Dakota has acted different but has actually adjusted rather easy. I spent those three weeks getting him to trust me and the decision was his. But animal control had decided he would be aggressive so they had plans to trap him and put him down.

Every day is a new challenge and he can be stubborn. Right now, we are working with trust and obedience. I can started doing the grooming, but he still will not let me finish his tail. Lol. And boy! He loves to "tAlk"! Is this common wih Chows?
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am currently fostering a chow Samoyed(?) mix. To to the photo sections and look for "meet Harvey". I also have two chows (see avatar) and had a husky a number of years ago. Harvey talks a lot, which my two chows do not. Malachi, my male, will make a sorta clearing his throat sound when he wants attention. Ursa will only vocalize when she thinks there is an intruder, or make all kinds of happy yips if she thinks we are going out. Chows and huskys are hard headed, but huskys are the worst. Harvey is very willing to please and learn new commands, especially if that means he can get his way. He knows to sit if he wants me to open the door, BUT he also has to announce himself.
When I got Harvey he was totally matted. I had a friend hold his head and scratch behind his ears to distract him while I cut the mats out of his tail. Mats are very uncomfortable. Animal control, from whom I had gotten Harvey, thought he was aggressive...well, I would have been aggressive too. They would use a catch pole on him, and he had mats and sores resulting from them on his neck. When I got that cleared up, he did not react poorly from handling. Read through the training for hints. YOU are going to have to be the dominant leader. Love him and let him know that you don't intend for him to dominate you. Post pictures, we all love pictures.
DakotaGA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DakotaGA »

Your pups are all so pretty! Harvey looks like a character! Too sweet! I am extremely dominant in Dakota's training and he is being very respectable and responding well. When I say that I mean making him wait for me to go through doors and walking beside me instead of pulling. I am goo goo in love and taking him with me as much as I can. He also is starting to come to me for snuggles.
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

He's beautiful. Huskie/Chow mix is very pretty. Yes Chows are talkers and so are the Huskies. Looks like you have a great dog on your hands!!

Tracey
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I know what you mean about goo goo in love. That is the way it is when you have a chow.
DakotaGA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DakotaGA »

Well, Dakota just got put in his place, very firmly I might add! We also have an old girl, Jersey that is a shih tzu. She is 13 and used to being around other dogs, but Dakota can not be fixed until he puts on some more weight and is a bit healthier. So he goes to sniffing tonight, as usual. Then he tries a little more. She warned him, snapped, and he sat back and whined and howled. It was so funny! But he took the discipline well and jersey went to her safe place (they both have areas where the other is not allowed) and now all is well.