Looking to buy a Chow in NYC

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kayty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking to buy a Chow in NYC

Post by Kayty »

Hi all--new to the boards and hoping to get an opinion on something. We'd like to purchase a pure bred Chow puppy in the upcoming months. I've been researching the breed for a few weeks and am a little concerned because we live in NYC and there are people, children and other dogs. Everywhere. And I'm concerned about having an incident w/aggression. I've read about if you socialize them at a young age they should be fine but I was wondering if there were any New Yorkers with experience on raising a Chow in the city. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! Kayty
triggle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Looking to buy a Chow in NYC

Post by triggle »

I would like to read about others' experiences too! My partner and I are planning to move to NYC in the upcoming months from DC. We currently have a 6 month old chow in which we have been taking to dog parks for socializing and she has been doing fine with other people. She is very shy and takes her awhile to interact with other dogs and is only a tad bit aggressive towards small animals like the squirrels in our backyard. When we go further downtown in the city, she is scared of cars because they are loud. But she definitely does not show aggression towards people even though you can tell her guarding instincts are strong!
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

My situation is a bit different. Our chow, Loki, was rescued from New York City. He was about 2 at the time. Our son found him on the streets in bad shape. Since the owner was never found, my son, David, took responsibility for the dog and he lived with our son in the heart of the city for over a year. David took Loki EVERYWHERE...to outdoor cafes, errands and often took him to a dog park. Loki and David would often sit on their stoop and greet neighbors. When Loki was strong enough he required orthopedic surgery. We took Loki so he could have surgery and recover at our house in the suburbs to make it easier for both David and Loki. Well...Loki had a lengthy, but successful recovery and he never left. That was 8 years ago. We got so attached to him, and him to us, we all decided he should stay with us. He does visit David from time to time in the city and he readjusts well to his short visits.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Why not rescue a chow?....they have pups you can get?...there is a chow rescue in NY...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Kayty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kayty »

Thank you ski for your reply...its such a great story. I'm happy your son was able to rescue Loki and he's doing well!

Kitten1426--we would love to adopt...my boyfriend especially he thinks its ridiculous to spend over $500 on a dog. Pish posh 8) The reasons I would like to have a pure bred dog are mainly due to health concerns (and yes I realize buying a pure bred dog isn't a guarantee but I think it helps stack the odds in our favor), but also temperament. I also want a puppy so that it can be properly trained and socialized at a young age. In a perfect world adoption would work out and we are definitely considering it. Most of the adoptable Chows I've seen from the rescue are often older, with (major) health issues, and typically not being fostered in NY state. And at the humane society the 'Chows' are usually v. mixed we would like a Chow that is a Chow.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well Kodi in my Sig picture is from chow chow rescue of NY he is a great Boy...we got him at 7 weeks old...she gets pups all the time...yes i understand there are no guarantees on health problems...but you know like you said there isnt any if you buy one either...I think of it this way..your saving a life...your helping the ones that need it...Our female chow is also a rescue from a pet smart yes we couldnt believe we found here...she looked mix...but she isnt...we did a DNA test..we got her at 10 weeks but we had to wait till she was spayed so we got her really at 12 weeks old...she is a sweetheart...Kodi he is the typical chow..but thats how they are..LOL....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Actually, chows or any breed pup that comes from a reputable breeder should have at least minimal health guarantees. They are not life long, and mostly not that inclusive, but you do have some recourse with certain health issues known to the breed.

Pet insurance can also cover some items, but generally will exclude genetic items. Primarily pet insurance will cover accident related health issues. There are exceptions, but that is the general rule.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Just a quick comment on rescues...
The other day I had Loki at the Vet and, to my amazement, the most beautiful chow girl came out of one of the exam rooms. A shock as I have never seen another chow where we live. I asked the owner about the beautiful puppy and she told me she found the chow on Petfinders. She was a pure bred and so friendly.
I understand both sides of the issue but it is sad to think of all the great dogs without loving owners
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have two rescue chows, and I believe that both of them are PB. There are many (too many) out there needing rescue. Lately I have seen a number of older chows out there that are in shelters because their owners have either passed away or had to move into assisted living facilities where they could not care for their dogs.

Much of the personality of the dog will be determined by you. The effort you put into training the dog to adjust to life in the city will be well worth it. I really love my chows, and think the breed is wonderful.