Should I be worried

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Should I be worried

Post by ski »

Loki was diagnosed with low thyroid. He has been on medication for three weeks now. He is very lethargic and hard to wake up. When we call him he does not respond and sleeps soundly. We go in for another blood test in a week but I am concerned. I thought the meds would perk him up. His appetite is also off. We think he is about ten years old. He has always had selective hearing (after all, he is a chow) but lately we have to go and get him for his walk or for dinner. I trust our vet but can't help but worry if this is normal behavior.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Should I be worried

Post by maikinda »

ski wrote:Loki was diagnosed with low thyroid. He has been on medication for three weeks now. He is very lethargic and hard to wake up. When we call him he does not respond and sleeps soundly. We go in for another blood test in a week but I am concerned. I thought the meds would perk him up. His appetite is also off. We think he is about ten years old. He has always had selective hearing (after all, he is a chow) but lately we have to go and get him for his walk or for dinner. I trust our vet but can't help but worry if this is normal behavior.
Did your vet do any other bloodwork when you had the thyroid done? If not I would have a complete blood panel done just in case there is something else is going on. I can't remember how long it takes for thyroid medicine to show results. You should ask your vet. It may be that he just needs his dose adjusted. Did your vet tell you that the blood draw for this next thyroid test needs to be a certain amount of time after his dose? I'm thinking 4-6 hours but you should check to make sure so that the test results are accurate.

Hope you find out there is nothing wrong.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks. He did have a full work up and we go back this week for more blood work. Four hours is the time frame she gave us. It's my feeling he is worse on the medication but maybe I expect too much too soon.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

My thinking is - You live with Loki and you know his normal energy level and behaviour. If what you are observing isn’t normal – bring it to your vet’s attention.

I agree with Maikinda. I’d ask the vet to adjust the dosage of Loki’s medication.

I’ve walked in your shoes. I rescued Whitby roughly 2 ½ years ago. She’ll be nine yrs old this year. She had been steadily gaining weight and I brought this to her vet’s attention last Spring. With the vet’s guidance, I put her on a diet but it didn’t seem to help. The vet then suggested we run some tests. Whitby was diagnosed with hypothyroidism( under active thyroid) last summer. Her vet prescribed Thyrotabs. After I started her on them I had to take her back for several follow-up appointments, about 6 weeks apart, and bloodwork was done each time to check her T4 level to see if she was on the best dosage for her. It was adjusted a time or two. She seems to be doing just fine and is maintaining a good weight.

Wishing you and Loki my best. Please keep us updated.

Pam
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I thought this article on hypothyroidism was interesting. It does sound like the condition is almost common. I give Lilly one egg per week, plus some other good foods as well as a high quality kibble. Good thoughts going your for you & your chow chow. http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/iodine-de ... -4832.html
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Thanks so much for your replies. We return to vet end of the week (weather permitting) . I always thought dogs gain weight when they have an underactive thyroid but Loki actually lost weight and isn't very interested in his food . I am anxious to see what blood test reveals.