Confused and Perplexed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Confused and Perplexed

Post by Jess04920 »

While in the petstore with the boy's today I came across something completely strange.

Koda is regularly recognized as a Chow even though he is a mix and I have NEVER in the 8 months that I've had him had any type of negative comments, looks, etc. towards him. The vet loves him, the groomer loves him, he's great with kids and strangers and is always a hit in the petstores.

Well today while in the petstore this cute little girl probably around 8 came up to me and asked very politely if she could please pet the big dog. I said sure and had her put her hand out so he could sniff and to make sure that she was nice and gentle with him. She did and he loved her! She pet him for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden, this woman comes running over screaming "KELLY GET AWAY FROM THAT NASTY CHOW, HE'S JUST LIKE KOJO".

Since I've never encountered anything remotely like this I kind of laughed at her because here's Koda, the big bad chow licking and rolling on his back for this little girl while my little jack russel is the one growling! I asked her who KoJo was and she said it was their dog at home...a chow. So...let me get this straight...you ALSO own a "nasty chow"?

Yes, they do...and she thinks they are a mean and nasty, bully bread and shouldn't be trusted. Why on earth someone would own a bread they think so poorly of is beyond me, I started asking questions out of pure curiosity b/c I was so perplexed by this entire sitation. Apparently they own a black chow named Kojo and the little girl absolutely loves him (she's allowed to play with him when her mom isn't home...it's her dad's dog and he allows her to play with him). From the things I heard the little girl say...he had no history of being aggressive or anything of the sort...she even used to ride on his back like a horse when she was little. Yet the mother still had this horrible view of the breed. I asked her what this dog had done to give her such a bad view of all Chows and she said nothing, that she just knows they're mean by nature and she knows one day he'll snap. :roll: I didn't even know what to say to her. I asked her if she thought all children were the same and she said absolutely not...I explained that neither are Chows, they are individuals and not one Chow is like another, just as one child is not like another. They are a product of their breeding, their environment and shouldn't be stereotyped. I told her there are no bad Chows, or dogs at all, just bad, irresponsible owners, just as there are irresponsible parents. She huffed and puffed and walked away from me.

I can't believe that some people are so ignorant that not only do they believe in "bully breeds"...but they keep the notion in their head even after being proved wrong.

Strange woman, even stranger way of thinking. Good thing she is more worried about her harmless chow then her own daughter who she allows to walk around a store without her for long periods of time...
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

How very sad. :cry: I'm going to go home and hug my babies for hours and protect them from people like that who abound in this area as well! :-x
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I think someone has been putting stubidity powder in the drinking water. Or something that prevents the use of logic. Here she has this belief that chows are mean and nasty, yet she has the proof right there living with her that they are not. Poor Kojo living with this nutty woman.

Where did this idea of sudden viciousness come from? Even dogs predisposed to psychotic episodes have an underlying neruologocal problem, and inbreeding is one of the causes of that. Or is that chows are less forgiving of stupid things and if you mistreat them or do something to them, they will remember? Is it that some people have problems with a dog that is smarter than they are?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

You are so right Victory...I just couldn't believe what I was hearing...her store was utterly ridiculous and she continuously contradicted herself...even after explaining that he loved the little girl and had never been agressive...she still told me chows were evil, nasty creatures. I'll tell you one thing, I can't believe KoJo isn't an evil, nasty creature after living with that woman.

Not to mention, I can't believe her husband would let her treat his baby like this...obviously the dog is locked up or kept outside while the mom is home. Any man didn't like my dogs...away he goes...
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I've been home these past two days having ceiling fans installed. I knew Mr. N would be at the door barking while Shiloh would quickly get bored and go to sleep on her bench when the electrican showed up.
Mr. N is barking but his tail his wagging. The electrican's son came by to help his dad for about an hour. The son asked what kind of dogs they were and when I said Chows - his eyes got wide and he says "Oh, they're vicious"...I said, No they can be territorial and very protective though. This is a big guy is 6'5"and I am (at least use to be in my early days) 5 ft. He's looking at me and asking if I'm able to go out back with them or would they be mean...Geez, the misconceptions!!! Turns out this guy has a little Chihuahua.
That lady is really strange to have a mellow Chow and still have that type of attitude that beneath all that sweetness is a vicious, child-eating beast just waiting for the right moment. :roll:

At the same time, I am still guilty of being a little apprehensive about pit bulls. I know it's true what you said about the irresponsible owners but when I see the owner, I sometimes wonder. When I was at a pet clinic the other week, a guy with plenty of tattoos (sorry - I know I'm sterotyping) - dragging in a pit bull with a huge chain. It wasn't a regular dog chain, it looked like something you'd tow a car with. When he came in, I was telling myself to not back away like I was afraid and to give this situation the benefit of the doubt. The whole presentation of it made me nervous. But if I saw someone walk their PB into a pet store with a regular leash, I wouldn't be afraid. I think that no matter what the breed, if the owner looks questionable - that's when I wonder if the dog is okay...
Sorry for the rambling... :oops:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Most of the people who make negative remarks about chows to me seem to be older people... were chows overbred and inbred @ the 30's and 40's during a brief run of popularity? Seems like I've seen several glamour shots of Hollywood stars with chows (classic film freak, don't get me started).
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

You're absolutely right, Kingalls...if you see a questionable looking owner, most people will question the animal. That's very normal, I think.

It's just sad that people will hold on to these preconceptions and you can't get through to them...even when my big Koda is laying on the back in the middle of Petsmart getting a bellrub from an 8 year old he just met...
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

ciaobella,
I do not remembr the exact years of the "chow boom" just like any breed, they hit a fad and got extremely overbred with little consideration to health or temperment, resulting in people getting "a cute fluffy puppy' but knowng nothing of the breed, which is bad enough on its own, but with pups born with unstable temperments, it just was an accident waiting to happen. That is the main reason chows have such a bad name. They are getting better now, and in a way, with the exception of BSL, it has helped the breed by not having them so over bred again. I love chows but I rarely reccomend them to people because I know most people will not put the proper time into their dogs.
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Hi Sandy! Classic film fan here too! What's you favourite era/genre?

Sorry everyone for taking this off-topic. :oops:
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

ciaobella wrote:Most of the people who make negative remarks about chows to me seem to be older people... were chows overbred and inbred @ the 30's and 40's during a brief run of popularity? Seems like I've seen several glamour shots of Hollywood stars with chows (classic film freak, don't get me started).
Very interesting point..I don't know the answer, but would be interested to know if that has anything to do with it.
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

PurpleKisses wrote:ciaobella,
I do not remembr the exact years of the "chow boom" just like any breed, they hit a fad and got extremely overbred with little consideration to health or temperment, resulting in people getting "a cute fluffy puppy' but knowng nothing of the breed, which is bad enough on its own, but with pups born with unstable temperments, it just was an accident waiting to happen. That is the main reason chows have such a bad name. They are getting better now, and in a way, with the exception of BSL, it has helped the breed by not having them so over bred again. I love chows but I rarely reccomend them to people because I know most people will not put the proper time into their dogs.
Very good point, that could have a lot to do with it. Thanks for sharing!
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Some ppl have no sense whatsoever. I know they were overbreed in the 80's but not sure of times farther back.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

The woman is a walking definition of prejudice -- "don't try to confuse me with facts when I've already made up my mind". Her husband and daughter have already realized she is a nutroll and are just working around a situation they can't change at the moment. Kojo at least has two out of three people who love him, and is probably smart enough to just stay out of her way. Being a Chow he has obviously bonded with the good people in the home and will ignore the rest. The daughter is apparently doing the same thing from your description -- she loves Chows, knows her mother doesn't approve and has already developed her strategies for ignoring her mother's opinions when she considers them wrong. That ain't gonna be good in a few years when she gets exposed to some things alot more dangerous than Chows.
Unfortunately, all you can do is try to reason with the unreasonable, then shake your head and walk away, feeling sorry for a woman who is missing so much of the love available in her own home.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

What was overbred in the 80's?
Chows or stupid people?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

This is for you Jess04920 =D= =D= =D= for keeping your composure in the face of utter ignorance. She sounds like a weasel. Too bad her family (Kojo) has to live with her.
Jess04920
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jess04920 »

aww, thanks Lou. Honestly, I was just stunned by the stupidity..I was so curious to understand her reasoning...after I heard it, I realized it was impossible to understand.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Us big city dwellers are use to that, Why argue with those people just ignore them, say dumbass and walk away.

The name Kojo kind of bothers me to, its like naming a dog killer it kind of tells where their mind was at when they got the Chow. That's just the way Kojo sounds to me there might be alot of Chows named that.

I agree with Purplekisses I never recommend a Chow to anyone because like she said most won't put the time in it takes to own a Chow, I think it takes a special kind of person to own a Chow, you can't be an everyday dog owner and raise a Chow. As for overbreeding, Beware the new breed of killer Labrador is on the way, I'm seeing alot of mean Labs lately.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

What Lou said! =D= =D= =D=

I used to keep a plaque on my desk with an old Irish proverb: "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

That woman is the reason why I advocate breeding licenses for human beings. Anyone that ignorant needs to be spayed.

You stayed alot calmer than I would have Jess. Like Jeff, I NEVER recommend either of my breeds (rottie is the other one) to ANYONE; if anything I try to discourage the rottweiler altogether!

Overbreeding kills beautifully tempered dogs. Remember after Lady and the Tramp with the spike in cocker spaniels? There were ALOT of nasty cockers running around for a LONG time. That's why I hate dog movies.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

The rabid St Bernard in the movie was Cujo, not Kojo.
Kofi Annan named his kid Kojo, so what should we draw from that?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Pratt! She needs sterilising - she should not be allowed to have children let alone chow chows. :twisted:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

kingalls wrote:When I was at a pet clinic the other week, a guy with plenty of tattoos (sorry - I know I'm sterotyping) - dragging in a pit bull with a huge chain. It wasn't a regular dog chain, it looked like something you'd tow a car with. When he came in, I was telling myself to not back away like I was afraid and to give this situation the benefit of the doubt. The whole presentation of it made me nervous.
Many owners of pits do that on purpose, "look I'm a big tough guy with a PIT BULL" They are idiots, because they are only making things worse. A proberly bred, socialized and trained pit is just fine, stuborn and a bit dense, but okay dogs.
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

ciaobella wrote:Most of the people who make negative remarks about chows to me seem to be older people... were chows overbred and inbred @ the 30's and 40's during a brief run of popularity? Seems like I've seen several glamour shots of Hollywood stars with chows (classic film freak, don't get me started).
It was the late 40's and the 50's there was even a very popular TV show that had one on it. And the craze went from there. And they did become very popular which resulted in inbreeding, no regard for temperment and the fact that some people wanted to breed vicious chows. Some of them succeeded and the results were unstable vicious animals that should never have been born. Breeders have worked very hard to get the temperments back to what they should be, arrogant, aloof, independent, intelligent, but not vicious or too wary. Both are now considered flaws by the AKC.
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Jess04920 wrote:aww, thanks Lou. Honestly, I was just stunned by the stupidity..I was so curious to understand her reasoning...after I heard it, I realized it was impossible to understand.
Yeah once when I had Darkwind out to the Ren Fest this guy said much the same thing, that chows are monsters, (that's what he said) I just ignored him and felt bad for his little boy who wanted to pet the bear dog.
Thank you SweetPea!
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Do remember anything about the TV show? I had not heard of it, but it may have been before we got a TV.