The SashMonster is a stinky grease ball!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ElizabethAnne
Rank 0
Rank 0

The SashMonster is a stinky grease ball!

Post by ElizabethAnne »

I got the SashMonster not quite two years ago. Her owner had committed suicide and she seems to have been lost for a few months before I adopted her. She was absolutely filthy. I took her to the groomer the first week and they did the best they could. We concluded she had been living under a car, it was our best guess. Two years later and the problem is worse than ever. We've tried antibiotics hoping there was some kind of subdermal infection, no go. She goes to the groomer every six weeks and on the one hand I think it exacerbates the itching and the greasiness but on the other hand by week six she's so filthy she's so stinky you can smell her across the room. Keep in mind she's an indoor dog. I live in apartment and we walk three times a day a total of 4 to 6 miles. She's not rolling in the mud or sleeping under my car. And to make matters worse she's cream colored so when she's filthy it is freakishly obvious. I swear she looks homeless half the time. I don't know what to do it is just out-of-control and I have to sell a kidney to keep up the grooming fees. Anyone come across this before? She's my sixth Chow and I've never experienced anything like this. In fact the SashMonster has been to the groomer more in two years than all of my previous five chows combined. Fortunately she loves the groomer and the groomer loves her. Now you may understand why her name is the SashMonster.
anthonyfearn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The SashMonster is a stinky grease ball!

Post by anthonyfearn »

whats a sashmonster , never heard this expression
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Maybe someone else can jump in with the details, but I remember reading in another post, that sometimes they will have an odor to them, and it has to do with stress, anxiety- basically emotional.
Overall, Clover doesn't ever really stink- of course she does at some points- but not ever enough to be added as a characteristic about her or anything
...along with the emotional, it could be her diet or environmental exposure? idk...
I really don't have allot to contribute other than seeing that prior/previous post about smell/emotional issue... sorry! :)
maybe try using the search option in the upper right corner of the site, maybe the posts and additional guidance will pop up.
Good Luck!
Shannon
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

it could be canine seborrhea and the vet might be able to help you with it. I think too thyroid can cause issues but that doesn't sound normal for a chow that doesn't have some type of issue they usually are pretty clean smelling. we had a shar pei that had skin issues and was also smelly and oily. :( it took the vet to finally get the right shampoo . best of luck it is hard to figure out all the things it could be, best to bit the bullet and get it checked.
ika
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ika »

Like Clovers_Mom, I've come across similar articles. It could be something as simple as diet. Either way, it maybe something worth seeing your vet about.