Crazy Dog People?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Crazy Dog People?

Post by Truffle »

So I have been encountering this specific type of crazy ever since I got Truffle - the crazy dog person, the missing half to the "crazy cat person." These over-protective paranoids who appear to only ever leave their house or attempt communication with other humanoids in connection with their dogs' necessities (meaning, the vet, dog park, daily walks and so on). Before having to mix with this crazy bunch of bastards, I never suspected this type even existed! But wow... :shock: not ONE single time have I gone somewhere dog-oriented where I did not encounter a weirdo or three.

One of the more memorable encounters happened at the dog park, of course.. So my happy little Truffle goes about doing his duties of gate greeter at the park, as an older man enters with a smallish dog. Truffle and the dog sniff "hello" and start happily chasing e/o without any sort of aggression or barking whatsoever, but the man starts getting visibly upset.. We race towards Truffle and also yell at him that it's ok he only wants to play etc and obviously the whole thing was happening only because the man did not remove his dogs' leash (I mean that's like rule no 1, you remove the leash before your dog gets inside and is approached duhhh). The guy starts screaming his head off for us to "CALL OFF THE DOG!!!!! CALL HIM THE F OFF!!!!" Total nutter! We get Truffle and tell him that he was just playing and that his dog was getting all caught up in his leash because he should have removed it before coming inside etc SO then... the guy actually says that he's shaken up because a small dog got attacked here yesterday and that he's now "on edge" and added, crazily: "if it was MY dog that was getting attacked, i would take a rock and BASH ITS BRAIN INN... i swear" Ummm OK, dude... don't have a heart attack.. I mean I kind of understnd but then if you're that worried why take your dog here? Right? Later he did approach us again and apologize and said that Truffle wasn't doing anything bad etc but I mean come on,,,, what kind of crazy person says that?...

Umm then there was such a normal looking dude there who, as we started speaking, proceeds to tell us that "their mommy" (his gf) just wrote a fine dining book and that the publisher just sent them a copy and that the babies will go crazy when they see it on facebook... Ummmm, what?! Are the dogs using facebook to check up on their mommy or WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE?!! I backed out of there *slowly*..

Then there are the numerous people who come to the dog park and expect all other dogs to not sniff them or jump on them or try to interact with them because their clothes might get dirty (who wears nice clothes to the dog park?), and of course the people who seem to think that they came to a vacant huge lot to play catch with their dog ALONE and everyone else's dog should stay away.... The people who think that it's worth to freak the heck out if dogs are trying to pee on each other or hump each other while playing... I mean, seriously, did you know ANYTHING AT ALL about dogs when you got yours?... Such weirdos and panicky Petes!

At the vet, a lady came in with a huge K-9. Truffle and it immediately saw each other and wanted to sniff/say hi, but of course the mentaloid had to protect her dog from being sociable by pulling his leash so hard that he started choking #-o She then grumpily snorted "Lets GO! It's too crowded in here today!" and walked out slamming the door, which again opened and another lady had to get up and close it behind the drama queen. I mean, it was just me with Truffle and the lady with a kitty in a cage... Such a freak...

Another guy, with a lazy, relaxed husky, on that same visit, saw Truffle bark a few times at a toy kitty before Truff realized that it was just stuffed fakery and after that he spent the whole visit sitting as far away from us as he could :lol: keeping an eye on Truffle just in case he sneaks up on him and attacks, i guess?..

Oh, and there's a guy who used to love my previous dog but now HATES Truffle and hates US because Truffle barks at him :roll: I mean he literally takes it as a personal insult that our dog doesn't trust/like him #-o And he started avoiding our house when he walks his massively aggressive American Bulldog. :lol: Also slyly comments on my car needing a wash because now I'm apparently his arch nemesis :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dog Park, day five: A geezer started approaching us, face-on, full eye contact, red cheeked in a blue parka with the hood pulled up and BARKING AT US... just walking toward us, making eye contact and BARKING.. not braking the act for at least 3 full minutes... I was gonna say "dude, do you even *have* a dog here?.." but yeah, the thing is, he probably did.. makes sense.. he's a ... typical.. dog person =D=

This is just the tip of the iceberg and I picked the funniest stories, but really things get weird around dog people really fast.. Does anyone else notice this trend or has had similar encounters? It could be a NYC thing, but I really didn't find it quite so crazy before getting Truff and hanging out at these places..
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Crazy Dog People?

Post by kitten1426 »

Maybe the dog park isnt for you...lol....And i will say this I live in NJ no better here trust me...CHOWS have a bad Rep...for some reason and people do act weird around them,...You should see the looks we get with Kodi he is a BIG chow..Now our female chow we call the wallmart greater..she is so friendly...she is a good Girl Kodi is your stero type chow..People want to approach him we just say he can be a little grumpy..lol..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

In MA (at least where I am-just north of Boston)- they have 3 reactions to Chows, basically broken down to a .... 50%/40%/10% :)

1) OMG- I had a friends cousins uncles' brother- He has one, it was really mean.
2) OMG he's so cute, he looks like a lion, as they go in full force for a head pat.. (apparently the pink leash didn't give it away, Clover is ALWAYS initially a 'He' ...;)
3) Oah, with kind eyes, your chow, she is beautiful. -Coming from a fellow owner, past owner, or someone who was close to a chow.

I have gotten the 'few steps back' when Clover comes near them, or the Dad who visibly & blatantly takes his child and positions the child behind them as to protect the child for dear live since obviously they are in fear that my dog is ready to attack and kill them.

Overall, people at the dog parks around me in MA (just north of Boston) aren't that insane, but I have to say reading your post, I think that I may have encountered one of each of those people at some point. I guess when the crazy's are spread out in time, it sometimes makes them less memorable... haha
Thanks for sharing, have to say, I got a good laugh, and realize it's not just Clover that people act that way around.. :)
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

I've not taken my 16 week pup to a dog park yet, but I do remember similar dramas with my first Chow many years ago. I don't doubt crazy dog people are still around. My plan is to observe the dogs & owners before entering a dog park. That won't always reveal the crazies and won't prevent crazies from coming after, but there's only so much you can do.

The type that annoys me most are owners who claim their dog is under voice control (In certain areas near me your dog must either be on leash or under voice control.)...while repeatedly yelling at their dog to do stop doing something. The worst is when their dog starts chasing kids on bikes, wildlife, joggers, etc. Of course they always have excuses about how natural it is for dogs to chase, blah, blah, blah... :evil:
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Truffle »

Well I'm glad it's not just me attracting the local loons :D :D I still remember how excited I was to meet other owners in the area and be part of the community. After just a few times, I now keep to myself and come solely because Truffle has such a wonderful time. He didn't used to like other dogs at all and it took a lot of socializing for him to get to this point, so I think he should reap the rewards of his accomplishments.

I still remember the horrible trainer with a terrific Yelp score and "chow experience" who basically told me, after a 15min walk, that Truffle will need a metal spike choke collar to not pull me on casual walks and remarked how "we had to put my brothers' chow down after he bit someone" :O LOL or when a family came in 10min late with their dog to puppy class and of course all other pups started barking excitedly, trainer starts freaking out and orders the family OUT because "I can't stand these dogs all barking at once!!" :D :D I guess no matter what the general consensus is, when you have a chow, you gotta do your research and look out for them because most non-chow people don't know what they're doing.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Clover's Mom wrote:
In MA (at least where I am-just north of Boston)- they have 3 reactions to Chows, basically broken down to a .... 50%/40%/10% :)

1) OMG- I had a friends cousins uncles' brother- He has one, it was really mean.
2) OMG he's so cute, he looks like a lion, as they go in full force for a head pat.. (apparently the pink leash didn't give it away, Clover is ALWAYS initially a 'He' ...;)
3) Oah, with kind eyes, your chow, she is beautiful. -Coming from a fellow owner, past owner, or someone who was close to a chow.
Boy does that sound familiar!
1) All those phantom biting growling mean chows, amazingly in all my years of chow ownership I have never met one. :roll:
2) I have tried so many times to tell people to let Cocoa sniff first and then pat under the chin (she hates strangers touching her head), they just never seem to listen unless they are dog people. Oh and yeah, Cocoa is always a he and she has a pink leash too!
3) These are the people that Cocoa loves on sight, she recognized the "chow people" instantly.

Personally I don't go to the dog park, we get more than enough socialization in our neighborhood.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I do have to say despite the crazies... Clover loves, loves playing with dogs at the park.. It's fenced in and always at least 1 dog there, I shouldn't complain haha... :) I recommend dog parks maybe just not some of the patrons :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Personally, i avoid the dog park at all costs. Because honestly, they should just post a sign that invites all the nut jobs and ill-mannered dogs. And, yes, i am quite aware that it's not the dogs fault. Anyplace that requires the dog to be unleashed (any yes i do understand that it reduces aggression) is not going to foster 100% positive interactions.

For beginners, neither of my Chows have been fixed. However, that is because they show in confirmation events. They get tons of socialization both human and canine. They are always on leash and well controlled, although it has never been necessary. They typically (Chow) ignore both toy breeds and giant dogs. When introduced properly or are waiting for ring time, they have manners and will simply sit and wait for instruction.

Thus the problem with the dog park...the dogs are actually encouraged to run free and behavioral issues are ignored. I think Chow owners are particularly in tune with behavioral training. Our dogs may not get recall, but almost everyone knows to socialize and to teach basic commands. They do meet and greet, or sniff and move on quite well. The 80 year old man with the Rat Terrier has an entitlement issue and doesnt get any of that. Neither does the 17 year old kid that just was awarded a Rotty for his birthday instead of a car. Certainly Paris Hilton with her nipping purse dog didnt get the memo. And then i imagine the dating cousins who didnt bother to fix their dalmation/poodle mix cornering my 1 year old female.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to controlled environments. I'll suffer the Pet Store environment where all dogs are leashed, and i can instruct admirers how to approach my dogs. Rory and Amber have pretty good judgment and have a great track record on who they like or dont like, and who they trust or dont trust. They are great with other dogs, and with kids. Most people are amazed with their uniqueness, and that is OK. There have been a few lingerers, creeps, and oddities (thinking pedophiles for dogs), but they sense the weirdness and will avoid them or back them off.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

BTW, nice to see you posting Clover. i think Rory and Amber still owe your dog a meet up (clearly not at the dog park, and not to sound creepy...lol). We are headed to Springfield this weekend. With ANY luck Rory will finish his AKC CH campaign. Amber has been standing idly by as the #1 female Chow in the country has been showing locally.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

It is crazy!! How time goes by so incredibly fast! Yes, we definitely need to get the 3 of them together- ha, ironically.. I am laid off, as of Feb 14th, another apparel manufacturing company closes its doors.. I hope not to have too much free time, but time will defined open up so we can get together sooner than later!
Rory and Amber both are so beautiful & behaved. Way to go Rory, and from what I understand above, Amber cannot show while the #1 F Chow is local? I 1st read it as, Amber was the #1 Chow, then re-read :)
No not creepy at all. I know what you meant ha...:) PM me & we can set up a 'play-date' ha...
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I dont see why so many peopel have RECAL issues with there Chows...Ours come right to us when called...at the Dog park...or anywhere for that matter...When i come home form work my wife lets our chows come run out to meet me by the truck..the dont leave our property...if i say go to the porch they go right back up to it...Maybe we got lucky but 4 of our dogs do this...And if you think a chow how recall problems Trty owning an Airedale Terrier...we have one and he listens just as well as the others...some people that own Airedale are amazed on oh well he listens...Its in the training..you have to work with them non stop...some dogs might not pick it up again maybe we just got lucky....lol
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

And these Are all reasons to avoid the dog park long with the fact that dogs can pick up all sorts of diseases.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Honestly though- I have to defend the dog park a bit. I sat on our city's dog park planning committee for the last 2 years until I resigned the beginning of January. A dog park, is and should be a place where your dog can go to let out energy and socialize with other dogs in a safe location. Maybe I am of the minority, as yes, I gave all of the examples above, but all in all, our park really is a good place, and a great place for Clover. Our park is shared with the city but for the most part, is a community funded park. If you are not getting what is expected in an experience, then you need to tell officials what the issue is, and also what you think the realistic option to resolve is as well. It's easy for people to complain about it, it's another to take action to get it resolved.
All dogs coming to our park must be licensed and most all are neutered & I have to assume since there are many day camps in the area and I know allot of them go to them, they are all up to date with all shots incl. kennel cough.
We may all not like our dog park fellows standing to the left or right of you, but when it comes down to it. It's about how much fun, and how much your dog gets out of the experience. If owners are not being responsible, as uncomfortable as it is, you must speak up, & confront them. There will always be that idiot owner, or the owner who doesn't get it, but when you look at the percentage overall for use vs. moronity & idiocy at least for me, it is not high. Out of all the city parks in our city- our dog park has the highest traffic and is the most used.
I feel like this post went from light-hearted satire about dog parks & wanting to start a conversation to get feedback and shared experience to a negative posting about how awful ALL dog parks are. For people who have never brought their dogs to a dog park, after reading most of above, why would they ever bother- given that socialization for chows is so important, and taking note that not all people can afford day camps, have the opportunity of having great communities or lots of land to run, the dog park is the best free option someone to make sure that there dog can have the experience. Once they bring them, they can then decide if that's something that is in the best interest for there chow love.
Sorry.. I haven't been logged in for months upon months, and have recently been logged back in- I don't want to start this huge negative post & people getting defensive. Follow up, I just wanted to shed light on not all dog parks are horrific.
I thank god for ours, or my weekly day camp bill would be astronomical...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I've been called "crazy dog lady" by my really good friends... What you're talking about are true weirdos though... Between weirdos, like you've mentioned, and out of control dogs is the reason I avoid most "dog places". The ONLY "dog place" I frequent is Petsmart.

I went to the dog park a few times, but after Jasper AND Dixie were attacked (with Dixie ending up with a hole in her neck), I'll never go back. Not worth the risk. And yes, the problems at our dog park have been reported to the city, but they say there's nothing they can do since no one has to register to use the dog park. Instead, I just plan play dates with friends' dogs who I KNOW my dogs get along with and that I KNOW are UTD on their vaccinations.

Dog parks are a bad idea anyways. Dunno where people got the idea that dogs NEED to go "play" with other dogs at parks. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Dogs are just like people. Some don't like others. And then there are dogs who don't play the same; and different play styles can spark fights. I've had dogs live full happy lives with no interactions with other dogs, and minimal interaction with people outside of immediate family after puppyhood.

I also will never take my dogs to "doggie daycare" or a "doggie hotel".
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I'm going to have to side with Clover on this one. While I've met the general spectrum of people talked about (those weirdos) it is a laughable experience and all of the usual dog park goers who are typical well versed in taking responsibility and holding their dogs accountable while there will exchange knowing looks with each other when one of those stereotypes enters the park. While I've had a few run ins, it doesn't out weigh the benefits we've had going. Our bad experiences have been less now that the bigger park has been opened. Frederick is a very dog friendly place and for a while, all we had was a small park in the middle of the city. When you have 20ish dogs at a time running around in a small fenced in area with no room to walk away and ignore each other there was bound to be problems more often than wanted. Typically, it was caused by one dog and her owner not taking responsibility and after the random attacks migrated from dog to human, well, lets say she hasn't been back in a long time. The big park however allows enough space for the dogs to get away from each other as needed. And as long as you have owners on top of their dogs when they're having issues by timing out the dog or leaving if necessary it works out fine. I've had to do it to Ty occasionally and he understands that once he's sidelined he needs to ignore the dog he had an issue with or we're leaving. And it works fine. Dogs will be dogs, but overall the dog park has really helped Tiberius so much with socialization and coming out of his shell. He's more accepting of people and generally does well with dogs of all sizes. Though, just like people there will always be a dog that will eventually rub him the wrong way and it's addressed. It does wonders for training too in a way again, as long as the people there are doing what they need to do to keep it a good place. I mention dog park and he gets excited and the tail starts to wag. We get close to the park and he's super attentive in the car. It's stimulates them mentally and physically and I love it. We met our friends there who may own different breeds, but when we hang out we can all hang out with our dogs who met at the dog park. That being said, the only real negative thing we've had come out of it at all has been that our dogs get exclusive. They've formed their own little mini pack and if we go to the park without a friend, they typically don't play or interact with the other dogs as much anymore, so unless they're there it can be a wasted trip. Also, when our dogs do let loose and play with each other they can be a little "rough" (no actual scrapes or wounds or anything) but they chase each other and roll around a lot nosier than most and when we don't address it and it's not the normal people who know us, we get funny looks or they think they're being aggressive. /shrug.
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Years ago I took Frisco and Loki to a local dog park. It was a lovely municipal park. Loki and Frisco could not have been more disinterested. They both laid by the fence and looked bored. I tried to explain to them the purpose of the park but we finally just left. We have never returned. My dogs must be antisocial
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We avoid the dog parks. Our vet showed me several pictures of dogs that he had to sew up after being attacked at dog parks. There are just too many people who unleash their dogs and then ignore them; leaving them to terrorize other dogs.

... and no, I do not think it is acceptable to let someone's dog try to "hump" my dog in an act of dominance. Does that make me one of your crazy dog ladies? :oops: That is Ok, I have been called worse. :lol:

We do visit the dog parks and train obedience on the outside of the fence. The dogs zooming by and humans running after them, make for great training distractions.

As for the lady with the huge K9 at the vet that turned and left when you let your dog approach for a sniff. That could have been me as well. One of my large K9s can be a bit reactive. I would turn and walk out rather than apologize when my reactive dog latched on to your wandering dog. I also don't want my dogs catching any fun ailments from other animals at the vet.

Yes... I am definitely the crazy dog lady. \:D/
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I am the overprotective crazy mama who jumps in when a giant dog lunges at my Chow. My Chestnut is very sweet tempered, submissive, trusting and somewhat naive and always ends up being bullied by other dogs whatever the size. When there is an aggressive dog though I hate it when MY Chestnut gets blamed. "it must have been something the Chow did because they are mean crazy dogs!" Despite the fact that my dog is cowering behind me it must still be somewhat her fault or some look she gave the dog. SIGH. I avoid dog parks altogether now and only pick a select batch of dogs who do not bully her. Her best friend and protector is a mini teacup Schnauzer named Coco. The rest of her gang who also protects her are Hugo a teacup Maltese, Puffy and Dumper both Shih Tzus. It's hilarious as Chestnut is 52 lbs and these other dogs range from two to seven pounds surround her in a protective circle.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I have to laugh Constantina- because Clover LOVES playing with small dogs. She's about 52 pounds.. When dogs bark, she is the 1st one away from 'that area'... And when she gets really startled or frightened, behind me is where she ends up. I also have known if there is any 'issue' arise at the park, she will be the one blamed, whether her fault or not.. Maybe that's why it makes me super-alert to what goes on... Clover, when she plays is very vocal, and of course, given she is 'who she is..' , I definelty make a point of telling her easy etc etc.. I have had allot of people, say 'oh, don't worry about it, there just playing.. ' the then I breathe a giant sigh of relief.... Phew they get it..... I am not totting a dog thirsty killing machine, it's just my sweet goofy 'cowerdly lion'..