General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

anyone with cream chow?

Post by cge2809 »

Hello !
I currently have 1 red chow, she's 2 years old. and she's great!
im planning to get my 2nd chow. but now I want cream.

but when it comes to cream, Im worried about him get dirty.
you all know how we have to spend time on our chows, wiping after walks (especially muddy days) and wet chin....
and biggest concern is, eye stains.... my red chow still tears a lot. im using eye gel. but it's not something what I use everyday..

with cream chow, i think it will be worse,,,

1.is it hard for you guys to keep your cream chow clean?

2.my red chow is 70lbs. which is little big size for girls.
how big are your boys??

3. my girl is fixed, if i get next chow, he/she will be fixed too.
will it be better one gender each? one girl and boy? or do you think 2 girls get along well too???

need your advices! thanks! :)
lrfishwick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: anyone with cream chow?

Post by lrfishwick »

We recently got a cream boy (Toby), he is now 5 months old and absolutely fabulous - he has bonded well with our 10 year old female westie, they play well together and he follows her everywhere :D I will try to load some pictures but if not successful - basically he stays clean really well. He stays much cleaner than the westie as he is so much further off the ground. We take him for walks over farmland and he lets us dry his feet when we get home, and a quick rub down with a towel if his fur gets wet but in general he seems easy to keep clean. When he was a puppy he had tear stains but as his face has developed and his mussel got longer the staining has now completely gone - my advise would be go for it don't be put off by the colour, Toby is a very handsome young chow - and gets lots of attention where ever we go
Attachments
Here is my daughter and Toby at Christmas
Here is my daughter and Toby at Christmas
1466019_689747971070600_253660231_n(1).jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 15180 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

What a lovely chow and lovely daughter!!!!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

After seeing Toby I want a Cream Chow now as well. Awww Cutie Pie!
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

Louie is a cream chow - he is 1.5 years old. He's not groomed in this pic (which is why I chose it), but you get the idea of cleanliness. =)

He never gets dirty. Then again, he's not really exposed to a lot of situations that could get him dirty, and he's not fond of rolling around in anything dirty, which is good. But then I suppose any dog would look dirty if they rolled around in filth... Haha, there I go rambling.

Louie had tear stains as a pup, but since only giving him filtered water and staying away from products with beef in it, no tear stains anymore.
He also never gets a wet chin after drinking.

Louie only gets his feet dirty/muddy if he is exposed to mud. If that happens, we just wipe it off with a towel and that's that. Its not what you imagine with owning a white car or something, haha.

Otherwise, Louie looks like the picture above about 99% of the time.

Louie is fixed and weighs 58lbs. You sound like you have a big girl!

As far as your decision goes for getting a boy or girl, you just kind of have to know what kind of personality your dog has and if she gets along with males or females better. Louie doesn't have a preference; he enjoys male and female dogs equally. My family dog Sam, who is a retriever/chow mix does NOT like male dogs but is an angel around female dogs.

If you have a dominate female personality type, you may want to get a male. But if she is not, than I think that any gender choice is fine with proper supervision/training/patience.

-Glue
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have 2 creams. Neither has tear stains. Tear stains are not a foregone conclusion with Chows. Both get muddy and dirty. If you let things dry and then brush them most of it goes away. Mine do not look dirty. This is Dillon. He is 66 pounds. A 70 pound Chow is big for either gender. The other cream which is in my signature is Lily. She is quite small for a Chow at 33 pounds. She had mud boots in a couple photos, which brushed away when she dried. I hope that helps.

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cge2809 »

omg!!!
your cream chows are adorable!!!
i will definitely go with chow, i already called few
breeders, seems like a lot of puppies coming this
month!

although, im surprised that your chows dont have
stains. I still have to put some eye gels on my chow's eyes.
cause her inner eyelashes keeps bothering her..

thank u all! i will post my new pup soon!!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Female Chow is between 53-55 lbs...and stands about 21 inches at the shoulders...Now Our Male chow he is a BIG boy stands 26 inches at the shoulders and weighs 100 lbs and still filling out he will be 3 yrs old in May...I think he will settle out like 105-107 lbs or so maybe more.....Now I see a lot of Chows but not many his size... :D He is a picture of Kodi on guard duty..lol with Our collie to give you an idea how Big Kodi is...Our collie stands over 27 inches at the shoulders he weigh 100 lbs Plus...and this was taken last yr so Kodi and our Collie they both even filled out more...

Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Crumpet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crumpet »

I have a cream boy who loves the woods, creeks, swamps, you name it. He can get very dirty, but I must say he is very tolerant of letting me wipe his feet and body as much as I need to. Also, chows are so clean that they will spend time cleaning themselves. I've watched him pull debris out of his fur and clean his own feet. I have seen his feet 'stained' one minute and then 2 hours later they are white as snow again. I would not be discouraged by the cream color. In fact, I find it much easier to look for flea dirt or ticks, as well as checking for any other abrasions since his fur and skin are both light colored. Good luck!
Attachments
Wookie 1.jpg
Wookie 1.jpg (150.13 KiB) Viewed 14984 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I have a cream chow and my daughter has her brother and my friend has her sister and this pic shows them all at Christmas with my daughter....none had been groomed or washed for the ru-union. Our Isla is probably the greatest lover of mud I ever met in a chow but as Audey says let them dry and a quick brush down. No tear stains either :D
Attachments
IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg (186.13 KiB) Viewed 14844 times
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Tiberius is a fawn or cream? He spends a lot of time playing with his friends outdoors when he can so he gets lots of dirt and creek water on him. He is also an English rough, ( I believe I was taught that here lol and I'm using it correctly?) where he doesn't have the long silky fur like some chows. Honestly, I brush him out well about once a week and touch up. Most months he gets a bath at once, sometimes once every two months. The main issue is his fur starts getting grimy from dirt/other dog slobber even though I brush it out well.
( Loving to play in the wet and muck)
(but does clean up nice)
Doppler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doppler »

Tiberius looks cream to me, the light might have affected the first photo. All cream chows here are super adorable..
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "
ImageImage
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am fostering a white Chow Samoyed mix, and he sure does show dirt. It has been raining here, and we have moles out there in the yard, so the dogs think they have to dig them up. Ursa and Malachi can look good even with the dirt, but Harvey has dirty spots on his muzzle and legs. He likes being brushed. Anyway, what's a little dirt among friends.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Doppler, it does really depend on the light. He's got plenty of red in him, but his undercoat is cream. His lineage is made up of cinnamons, creams, and light red chows so he's a pretty interesting color. Definitely less cream in the summer when there's less undercoat lol
coleena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleena »

Hi there. I have a nearly 2 y old cream chow. He does get some tear staining, I just keep on it and give him a good face wash each day. It seems though judging by the other replies maybe this is not universal... I think depends on the eyes themselves, while my boy doesn't have entropion, his eyes are not perfect and the lashes can tend to go inwards which I think causes the tearing. It seems to be seasonal too with pollen, grasses etc. I have no problem with cleanliness, chows seem to be naturally clean and the fur brushes out well. Creams are really a lovely colour, I was tossing up between cream and light red, but cream won out. As he's gotten older he has a lovely very soft ginger through his coat which I love. Have had a few health problems with our boy but I'm sure this is not related to colour! Good luck!
coleena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleena »

My boy Chowy.
Attachments
chowy and cuddly.jpg
chowy and cuddly.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
Bilbo'sMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bilbo'sMom »

This is my Bilbo at 11 weeks, never had a bath yet but I wipe him down. I brush him but not as often as I should. He goes to the park every day and rolls around on the grass, sometimes gets his paws really dirty, but a puppy wipe or wet towel cleans that up, have used dry shampoo maybe three times mostly on his legs. Never had a problem with tear stains.
Mysteriously, he wakes up every morning cleaner than when I went to sleep (twilight theme here). :shock:
We love the park
We love the park
Bilbo11weeks.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 14574 times
Image[/url]